UC's demo archive! (Digital Flora FX - Draugen)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: UglyCasanova's demo archive (Pedalboard demo...!)

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Love the crazy drone around 9". The Volca beats stuff sounds great, especially with the CT5 and RRR! The cleaner stuff at 15" sounds soooo soothing. Super cool board hubby :thumb:

:hug:
Brandsmannen wrote:Oh I can tell I would have soon much fun with that board. I think I need a CT5 and a volca for my droning needs

Beats+CT5 is for sure a lot of fun! :thumb:
Tristan wrote:Great great demo, awesome sounds, very inspiring! :thumb:
I too loved the Volca Beats stuff, the wooshy ambient noisy stuff you started out with stuck in my mind as well.
Just curious about the line-up and your thoughts on it, are some things for practical reasons or did you mostly put everything in that order to get the sounds you wanted?

Thank you so much! :joy:

Well, I do talk a little bit about the chain in the video, but I could do into a little more detail I suppose.

I knew I wanted to have a pre-fuzz verb+delay, and the plate on the RRR and the crisp repeats on the Memory Loss retains enough highs for me, seeing as my buckers are quite warm/dark sounding to begin with. Just trying not to make the sound too mushy/bleedy.

The (OD/)fuzzes I just really like the sound of by themselves and I think that they stack well. The Fuck allows me to play "clean" without running a completely dry signal to the amp, the 141G gives me a lot of options both when it comes to playing the guitar and droning/causing oscillations, and the Fuzz Overloader is just super chunky and badass which are great for just straight up Smashing Pumpkins-like power chords, that I tend to play a lot.
¨
CT5 is first in the chain because it allows me to kneel down and start screwing up the loops. I placed the Digital Water in the middle of the chain because A) I won't be adding fuzz to a normal (read; not CT5ish) loop post-recording anyways, B) the crazy water effect just sounds too harsh running through fuzz, and C) loops at the end of the chain is useless to me. Dead end. :lol:

I will perhaps swap places between the Digital Water and the Rapito. For science/more glitch.

Echo Degrader -> BitQuest -> No Memory. I consider this to be a sandwich of sorts. Both the ED and NM are relatively dark sounding, while the delay on the BQ is very digital sounding. Placing them like that, I can choose between dark repeats from the ED that stay intact through the BQ, or the crystal clear repats of the BQ slowly becoming warmer through the NM. And; modulation/filter sandwich! I generally like modulation and filters post-delay, but this way I sort of get the best of both worlds. That's also why the NM is placed last. I like pitch bending all the incoming repeats.

Vessel's end is near the end because who doesn't like obliterating the entire mix? :idk:

Particle. Same reason, really.

RM-1N. Like the Echo Degrader, it's pretty lo-fi. Having it at the start of the chain (like I've seen a few people do) would perhaps be a little too soupy considering the rest of the chain. I don't use the momentary feedback knob, so there's no need for me to have it in front in that regard either. It escalates too fast and fades out too abruptly for me to get much use for it mid-song. As a song-ender, it's pretty neat I suppose, If I manage to bend down and turn down the level knob without releasing the footswitch. Other than that, adding a little pre/post gain to the verb causes a bit of an apocalyptic effect to the entire signal, which is yummy as hell. The only real downside to not having it earlier in the chain is the drone knob. It sounds great, but it can eat up every bit of signal that's coming into the pedal if you're not careful when tweaking the knob. Would have been fun to run that drone through the board.

I don't know if that covered it. Feel free to ask me any other questions (or questions left unanswered). :hello:

Again, thanks for watching! I had fun making this. :joy:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:29 pm

I have another question! You seem to use the memory loss more as a straight up delay than a glitch machine. If I had to put your board together, I would probably put it just before the RM-1n, and use it as god created it, a glitch thing. Just wanted to hear your thoughts on that :)
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 pm

No God of mine! :lol:

Nah, I see where you're coming from. The reasoning is just one of taste and lack of skill/the unforseen nature of using lots of pedals. I just looooooove the sounds of its repeats, but I find the threshold for glitching to be very sensitive to the dB input. There's glitch knob that you can tweak, sure, but it sets the bar, period. No wiggle room. If the signal is too weak the repeats will go on as usual, AKA no glitch, and if too hot the repeats might not ever see(hear?) the light of day... or pop out anywhere from 2-5 seconds later. Having it late in the chain with lots of pedals with different dB out and so many layers would just make it really hard to have "glitch consistency", which sounds like the biggest paradox ever, I'm sure. :lol:

tldr; I have the Rapito for teh glitch! I want to try Eivind August's Possessed some time too. I think it's the sort of glitch I'm looking for, if I'm going to go even more glitchy. :animal:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:12 pm

Loved my buddy's possessed. That's a pedal you'd like!
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Planning on putting some pedals up for grabs soon. Possessed in WTT? You bet!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation, interesting read! :)
Possessed hey, would love one of those too! :)
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fcknoise » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:22 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:No God of mine! :lol:

Nah, I see where you're coming from. The reasoning is just one of taste and lack of skill/the unforseen nature of using lots of pedals. I just looooooove the sounds of its repeats, but I find the threshold for glitching to be very sensitive to the dB input. There's glitch knob that you can tweak, sure, but it sets the bar, period. No wiggle room. If the signal is too weak the repeats will go on as usual, AKA no glitch, and if too hot the repeats might not ever see(hear?) the light of day... or pop out anywhere from 2-5 seconds later. Having it late in the chain with lots of pedals with different dB out and so many layers would just make it really hard to have "glitch consistency", which sounds like the biggest paradox ever, I'm sure. :lol:

tldr; I have the Rapito for teh glitch! I want to try Eivind August's Possessed some time too. I think it's the sort of glitch I'm looking for, if I'm going to go even more glitchy. :animal:

Yup, it is very sensitive. The added boost control helps a bit though, and I find that some kind of boost/OD right before it can really help too. I like the repeats of it alright, and the oscillation in the normal mode is quite controllable and nice. In lofi-mode it is batshit insane though

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goosekevin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Super cool video, I love pedalboard explanation vids and yours is one of the best I've seen
Stuff with the volca beats sounded amaaaaaaaazing, I need one!
Also, as a side note, your voice is very nice and relaxing
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:27 am

Brandsmannen wrote:I like the repeats of it alright, and the oscillation in the normal mode is quite controllable and nice. In lofi-mode it is batshit insane though

Is that what the button on the side is? I never knew. :lol:

goosekevin wrote:Super cool video, I love pedalboard explanation vids and yours is one of the best I've seen
Stuff with the volca beats sounded amaaaaaaaazing, I need one!
Also, as a side note, your voice is very nice and relaxing

Aw, thanks buddy. :hug:

My own voice freaks me out a bit, but I guess that's only normal. I go "Uhm..." a lot because I have to translate my sentences to English before I start talking. :p
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby fcknoise » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:37 am

Haha yep it is. In a email he apologized for my wait time and said he added the lofi-mode and boost without extra $$ to make it up. I guess he ended up doing it on the entire batch :)

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 am

I think the only thing that'd make these videos better is if you started playing Hardanger fiddle tunes in 'em.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby UglyCasanova » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:17 pm

Chankgeez wrote:I think the only thing that'd make these videos better is if you started playing Hardanger fiddle tunes in 'em.

Haha, I played in a folky band like 6 years ago where the Hardanger fiddle was a reoccuring instrument! I should invite the player to join me for a demo. :lol:

Brandsmannen wrote:Haha yep it is. In a email he apologized for my wait time and said he added the lofi-mode and boost without extra $$ to make it up. I guess he ended up doing it on the entire batch :)

It's funny how that works. The EcoMod looks the way it does now too (with a looper and what not) because UG's order got pushed back. Marijn of TheSoundLab speculated in an email to me that the Fuzz Overloader might be a result of him asking Rhys to make him an Acid Fuzz without an overdrive stage. I don't know if it's the case, but it would be cool if it were. :p
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rainlet » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:12 pm

One of the sexiest pedalboards I've seen, man Loving that seasick drone from 17:00 on. Got some serious GAS for a RM-1N.
rainlet

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Haha that is cool though. I generally don't mind the waiting time, I feel like it is expected now. Now the higher prices and swatiska-ish logo are another thing though... Really really want a kassette still
Last edited by fcknoise on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby O Drones » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Love videos like these. Thanks for doing it man :!!!: 141G is so great.
O Drones

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear