Moog Sub 37

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Moog Sub 37

Postby kbit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:43 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. wrote:tim hecker!

I stopped posting Tim Hecker tracks on my facebook because my friend kept posting these god damn pictures hahaha.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Ugly Nora wrote:Sweet! Reminds of Tim Hecker in a way. :)

awesome! thanks for the seizure too :thumb: can you let me know how you had the cp-251 and moogerfooger pedals hooked up etc and how you interfaced with the sub 37. i'll keep it like a secret. ;)

No real secrets, real straight forward and basic. And no cp-251 :)

Doepfer Dark Time controlling the Sub 37 via midi cable
Sound goes out to the 3 moogerfooger pedals: Midi Murf, Clusterflux, 104M Delay and then to my Flickinger verb and my amp.

I haven't messed around with any of the CV routing yet. Well, I quickly tried but it didn't make any noise so I obviously had something plugged in wrong. I didn't feel like investigating yet.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:49 pm

^ oh and that low drone in the back is from a Super Ego pedal that I captured a drone on before I started the sequencer.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:No real secrets, real straight forward and basic. And no cp-251 :)
Doepfer Dark Time

ahh, you lucky blue light having son of a gun. keep experimenting and the demos coming, they sound amazing!
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:^ oh and that low drone in the back is from a Super Ego pedal that I captured a drone on before I started the sequencer.

do you grendel drone commander yet? you should grendel drone commander. yes. certainly.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:57 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Ugly Nora wrote:^ oh and that low drone in the back is from a Super Ego pedal that I captured a drone on before I started the sequencer.

do you grendel drone commander yet? you should grendel drone commander. yes. certainly.

Nope but I have a Skychord Zodiac which a 12 osc deal. See below, not my demo.

Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:Nope but I have a Skychord Zodiac which a 12 osc deal.

i think you turned me onto that once before. wowzers. but the grendel drone commander.....seriously the sound is stupid good. i've got a skychord sleepdrone 5 and love getting freaky with it's outputs. i run each into their own channel on a mixer, with their own effects on each channel :love: good clean fun, but still the drone commander sounds soooo....insert vague adjective of choice, i like organic. but seriously, that zodiac is crazy awesome :!!!:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ugly Nora » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:13 pm

Yeah I was looking at the drone commander at the same time I was looking at the Zodiac. I am not convinced I made the right choice.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Ugly Nora wrote:Yeah I was looking at the drone commander at the same time I was looking at the Zodiac. I am not convinced I made the right choice.

obviously only you can make that decision, but i'd just add that some oscillators sound one way, most do in fact. and its a good way but the drone commander sounds in a different way that is just as good in its own way. good god i'd love to pack four or six drone commanders with me whenever I play live. :lol:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UnicornTrap » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:28 pm

so how do you like the sub 37 after a while? I have had my eye (and am saving for) a re-issued korg ARP odyssey, until I looked into the sub 37. granted it is probably like twice the price, ugh. I rocked a prodigy for over 10 years, and the moog VSTs aren't really cutting it for me anymore. I'd also like a uhhh more mobile synthesizer because my main sound creator is the alesis andromeda which is heavy and fragile. i don't like it leaving the house :/
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Postby Ugly Nora » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 pm

I likes it but I have a hard time figuring some stuff out. I came across a preset and I saw that it was modulating the filter slope which I thought was a swell idea. So, I started a blank patch and tried to set it up - pressing the same options the preset had but it didn't work. I then went to the manual and it turns out I had to change an "under the hood" option in the menu to modulate that. So I did that, but it still didn't work. So I don't know if I am missing something else or I am just stupid, or if maybe it is a bug. I have off work Friday and Monday so I plan on spending some time with it to figure shit like this out and hopefully create some neato patches. They just released a new firmware update , so I will install that to see if that fixes any issues I may be having. I haven't installed any updates yet because I didn't want to be their guinea pig and have my Moog bricked.
Ugly Nora

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:18 pm

Im still digging mine a lot. It sounds fucking incredible and there are a lot of cool modulation options, most of which are under the hood, but not too hard to find. Mine has frozen a couple of times but its not for anything not mentioned online before. Firmware updates are promised so we shall see.

The sequencer is definitely a pain at the moment but once Moog implements step editing with the preset buttons it'll be way easier.Things can be tricky to figure out but I've never been overly frustrated programming it.

Nora: the modulation can be a bit tricky for a couple of reasons. This thread I found over on the Moog forums helped me a lot in figuring stuff out: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22108

Untelated, but the Moog forum seems to be host to quite a few weenies. I love how ILF spoils me.

:group:
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:26 pm

Also I wanna talk about this patch I made because I JUST DO OK.

Programed a three bar sequence and used mod bus one to modulate the level of the "feedback" knob in synch with the sequencer speed. I set it to a ramp up wave to emulate the sound of sidechain compression, but it doesnt really duck. It just compresses in a real dirty way.

I have the ramp up knob set at a rate of one cycle per bar. Hitting the "high range knob" doubles thr synch speed so I get two cycles ber bar. BUT THEN I set mod bus two to affect the clock division on mod bus one, so now when I turn up the mod wheel I get triplets/eight note triplets depending on if im in low or high mode on mod bus one.

Its SUPER fun to play with the subdivisions while tweakng the oscillator levels / cut off / etc. Ill try to post a clip tomorrow.

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Ugly Nora wrote:Yeah I was looking at the drone commander at the same time I was looking at the Zodiac. I am not convinced I made the right choice.

obviously only you can make that decision, but i'd just add that some oscillators sound one way, most do in fact. and its a good way but the drone commander sounds in a different way that is just as good in its own way. good god i'd love to pack four or six drone commanders with me whenever I play live. :lol:

I also made a patch that mimics the rhythmic filter trick of the Drone Commander. Looping envelopes are baller.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Inconuucl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:04 pm

:drool:
Le Ciel Inconnu (I was a whale once.)
NSFW: show
Chankgeez wrote:We should have a game show à la Name That Tune

Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 5 pedals.
other contestant: I can shoegaze that tune with 4 pedals.
Inconuucl: I can shoegaze that tune with 3 pedals.
other contestant: OK, shoegaze that tune!
Inconuucl: :!!!:
Inconuucl

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 am

I really wish the Drone Commander had a half time switch.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear