Halp me find a delay peddle!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Halp me find a delay peddle!

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm

I currently have a VM Superdelay, which sounds better than Anything else I've heard so far. It's a bit overkill for me though, plus it's too finnicky and complicated for live use impo. Its probably just me, but having to stomp the thing three times to go from one preset to the next just gets annoying :facepalm:

So here's what I'm looking for:

-Cheaper than the VMSD.
-Smaller than the VMSD.
-More intiutive/straight forward to use.

A handful of good sounding modes/types should get me by, as long as they''re somewhat in the same league as the VMSD.
I'm even thinking I could do without all the bells and whistles of a full blown modeler. Hardly ever use the looper function, ping pong delay, tape, reverse,... :idk:

If money werent a thing I'd probably take a closer look at the Red Panda Particle. And I'm thinking I'll miss out on a lot of fun and modulation (swells, shimmer, low res, etc) if I go with something like the EQD Disaster Transport, which otherwhise looks pretty damn sweet...

What other options am I overlooking for an all purpose delay pedlol that can handle a wide rang of styles and genres?
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: Halp me find a delay peddle!

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Never had any experience with vmsd, but own disaster transport and it is killer. A couple other delays worth considering that I also own and enjoy are the Belle Epoch and Meet Maude. Both are incredible and worth researching.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:08 pm

Disaster Transport: Too bad it doesn't do long delay times:(

Belle Epoch: I know I said I'm looking for a step back back in terms of features and tricks, but maybe the Belle Epoch is a litte TOO limited for now. Not sure if I'm ready to go back to just a a small alaog faux tape delay. Regardless of how good it sounds ofcourse, cause the demos I just checked sound great and all...

Meet Maude: Ditto, dispite the really cool over-the-top tape noises that I'll never ever use for anything remotely musical:)

I'm a pretty big digital delay user actually, I want to have the ability to dial in crispy clean repeats OR mushy analog repeats. On top of that, one or two different modulation types would be nice too...

I'm still thinking more towards a smaller version of the VDSM or Vox DelayLab, if such a thing exists. The Boss DD-20 seems to get a lot of love online, anything else like that out there maybe?

I'm not entirely sure a Line 6 Echo Park, a DD-7, or a TC FlashBack would be on par in terms of overal sound qualities.
Red Panda Particle: It's got the right size, the reverse mode, and a decent basic digital delay effect. But I don't wanna pay that much and not at leat get a good analog delay mode:s
Last edited by frigid midget on Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Rob Fossil » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:10 pm

I also have the Disaster Transport and love it. I'm not into endless options, just a few good usable settings that work in a band context and the DT fits the bill for me. The two other delays that I want to try are a Catalinbread Echrec and the new Black Fountain.
Good B/S/T dealings with: univalve, DannDubbleEwe, Shish, ThePastRecedes, GiAnt_ROboT, chutneyfarmer, Muse FTW, robapov, skullservant, MaxMaps, psychedelicrelic, guitarslinger21, space6oy, theshoegazer, bongoben, osbornkt
Rob Fossil

experienced
experienced

Postby OddKnowledge » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm

honestly, based on your criteria, you may want to give the Flashback a closer look
OddKnowledge

experienced
experienced

Postby skullservant » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:53 pm

DD7's rule
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goosekevin » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Yeah dd7 or dd20 would do the job really well!
Derelict78 wrote:That probably sounds awful in the best possible way.
goosekevin

Supporter
Supporter

Postby frigid midget » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:59 pm

This is just based on internet forum gossip, but I read somewhere that TC Electronics doesn't have the cleanest business ethics, and that their customer service is lousy as f*ck.

For that reason alone, I'd be willing to fork out $50 extra and go with something made by fairfield or eqd or something:idk:

Not that I'm ready to write off all non-boutique brands yet, I'll first have to take a better look at the DD7, Hardwire RV-8 and the Flashback.
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:33 pm

the Disaster Transport is a fantastic delay... I'm actually considering getting it again to have by my DMM's side and also to use it on bass

lush, great modulation, great atmosphere, haunting, full of character :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Digitech timebender
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Tristan » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:11 pm

There's also the Pigtronix Echolution or Echolution 2 (Deluxe).
Do you want / need tap tempo or not at all?
If not maybe you could even be happy with the Mooer Re-Echo, it really sounds pretty good.
Also, check Effectsdatabase maybe to get a view on what's out there:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/type/delay/digital/pedal
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ro_S » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 pm

For something compact but versatile, and affordable: Line 6 Echo Park (or TC Flashback). Otherwise, I suppose something by Catlinbread or EQD.
Effects for Me & My Monkey
http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store:
http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Declaration of interest: official distributor, Sharptone FX (handmade fuzz pedals)
Ro_S

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:48 pm

I support Ro_S suggestion on the Line 6 Echo Park. Sounds great and it can take one hell of a beating. But for an even cheaper and smaller (and better/more analog sounding) pedal I would take a look at the new Violetta Delay from Red Witch. It's digital, but your ears have to be mind blowingly fine tuned to tell:

EDIT: He even calls it a "peddle" :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frigid midget » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:20 am

Thanks for the suggestions hombres...

A couple of em wont cut it due to size/price issues.

As far as the Line6 Echo Park goes...I dont want to to sound too snobby or tgp'ish, but I did actaully own a DL4 for a long time...And when I upgraded to the VMSD, it was like trading in a 20" black and white tv for a 28" HD Flatscreen. Something about the repeats that just sound...'better' :idk:
frigid midget

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby kralc » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:45 am

I've never tried it myself, but what about a memory lane jr?
kralc

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear