ok who has used the catalinbread merkin

Moderator: Ghost Hip

ok who has used the catalinbread merkin

Postby friendship » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Spill the dang beans. Weave me a rich tapestry of its sound. I'm idly thinking about Fuzzrite type pedals and this one seems like it might be a great modern refinement?
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: ok who has used the catalinbread merkin

Postby grygrx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:37 pm

detailed personal opinion: meh
grygrx

committed
committed

Postby Ro_S » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm

I have merkin. It's great. I think Catalinbread added an extra gain to the vintage Fuzzrite circuit.

yum, yum, yum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMe2Sfe8c9A

p.s. if you're interested in a more direct clone of the Fuzzrite, PM me.
Effects for Me & My Monkey
http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store:
http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Declaration of interest: official distributor, Sharptone FX (handmade fuzz pedals)
Ro_S

committed
committed

Postby Eivind August » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Had it for a short while, wasn't really impressed by it. Felt that it lacked character or whatever. But it didn't suck, you might dig it.
https://irerror.bandcamp.com/

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
NSFW: show
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby zRobertez » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:46 pm

And Elvind August has secretly revealed his opinions of friendship
:lol: :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housewife/331848200230566
http://housewifeofficial.bandcamp.com/
Tom Dalton wrote:Like a phoenix's butt, it will rise from the asses.

KLON KLON KLON KLON
zRobertez

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Eivind August » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:09 am

Haha, yeah. :lol:

Nah, if you wanna use it as a kinda stereotypical old-school fuzz for the occasional 60s psych rock or Stooges sound, it would probably do the job. But if you're looking for a great fuzz to use often, I would look elsewhere. I dunno, but remember that I returned it after a couple of days. Might be that I didn't find the sweet spots, but that shouldn't really have been too hard with such a simple layout.

friendship wrote:You motherfuckers think I won't fuck up a couple octoroks and assemble the Triforce?

Deals:
succor, UncleBBQ, jerms, marco.desan, jwar, robapov, Tom Dalton, Gigahearts_FX, frigid midget, K2000, Tristan, untilshewokeme, backwardsvoyager, Strange Tales, brandsmannen, Ugly Casanova, goroth, Abanoise, Casavettes, multi_s, oldangelmidnight, Jero, Inconuucl, Dungus, christianatl, doralin, Wittgenstein, worra, D.o.S, rfurtkamp, blankfield, sillyfabe
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby friendship » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:29 am

haha "if you're into characterless boring pedals then you'll love it!"

Yeah I thought the Catalinbread video for it didn't make it sound very interesting, but in the Chicago Music Exchange one it sounds pretty different/awesome. Maybe this is a pedal made or broken by amp choice. What do you think, Ro_S?
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby KaosCill8r » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 am

Merkin fuzz! I would have a hard time putting a pedal on my board named after a pubic wig that hookers used to hide their std,s from the punters. It sounds like a good modern clone of a classic. Though I would get someone on the shark tank to build you a decent fuzzrite clone. I think you would get better value for your money and a better sounding pedal. :thumb:
KaosCill8r

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby friendship » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:41 am

KaosCill8r wrote:Merkin fuzz! I would have a hard time putting a pedal on my board named after a pubic wig that hookers used to hide their std,s from the punters. It sounds like a good modern clone of a classic. Though I would get someone on the shark tank to build you a decent fuzzrite clone. I think you would get better value for your money and a better sounding pedal. :thumb:

Yeah not a bad idea.

There's also the Mahoney Fuzztite (née Acid Tone) which is cheaper and the builder claims to have done a lot of experimenting, hopefully addressing any limitations of the circuit, so that's cool. I wonder how that one is...
sound journal

friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:30 pm

Yeah, or check the newly developed Fuzz Righteous from culturejam right here on ILF, it seems pretty badass.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:20 pm

Eivind August wrote:if you wanna use it as a kinda stereotypical old-school fuzz for the occasional 60s psych rock or Stooges sound, it would probably do the job. But if you're looking for a great fuzz to use often, I would look elsewhere.

Are you suggesting that you wouldn't use a Stooges fuzz often, and/or that it isn't a great fuzz? :wha?:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ro_S » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:12 pm

Eivind August wrote:Nah, if you wanna use it as a kinda stereotypical old-school fuzz for the occasional 60s psych rock or Stooges sound, it would probably do the job. But if you're looking for a great fuzz to use often, I would look elsewhere. I dunno, but remember that I returned it after a couple of days. Might be that I didn't find the sweet spots, but that shouldn't really have been too hard with such a simple layout.

friendship wrote:Yeah I thought the Catalinbread video for it didn't make it sound very interesting, but in the Chicago Music Exchange one it sounds pretty different/awesome. Maybe this is a pedal made or broken by amp choice. What do you think, Ro_S?

Well I love that 60s garage/psych sound, so that's why I appreciate the Merkin so much. It's right up my alley and I'm a pretty rudimentary player and it suits me.

The Merkin is a keeper for me. I also like the Fuzzrite circuit a lot too.

Their applications aren't as versatile as many other fuzzes. But If I had to limit myself to handful of fuzzes, this is one fuzz type I'd certainly want to include.

Catalinbread - and I'd apply this to Earthquaker Devices too - seem to have an excellent design ear for vintage style and musical sounds, so I trust them to do a good job with re-working and improving an old circuit.

I didn't think too much of the Chicago Music Exch demo. Maybe listen to other demos.

I do a couple of Fuzzrite clones; I'll PM you.
Last edited by Ro_S on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Effects for Me & My Monkey
http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store:
http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Declaration of interest: official distributor, Sharptone FX (handmade fuzz pedals)
Ro_S

committed
committed

Postby Eivind August » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Well, the reason I bought it was to get those garage-y Stooges tones and the 60s era psychedelic rock sound. What I meant is that it feels like a boring version of that sound, like something you would hear from a half-arsed coverband or whatever. It wasn't... wild enough? I think what I like about alot of those old school tones are that they have subtle flaws and idiosyncrasies, didn't reallt get that from the Merkin. To me it sounded a bit flat. But as has been mentioned, might have been combination of amp and sucky playing on my part that made it fail for me.

Deals:
Eivind August

HERO
HERO

Postby UnicornTrap » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:22 pm

i had one - returned it because i'm a super knob twiddler. I mostly returned it because it was very horrible on bass and (bass) synth. I ended up with a scarab deluxe for those kinda tones
UnicornTrap

committed
committed

Return to General Gear