small+cheap analog filter (SS/BS Dirge collab.)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

small+cheap analog filter (SS/BS Dirge collab.)

Postby hollowhero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm drawing a blank here. I want the Moog, but it's fucking huge (and $300). Is there anything that sounds good, but comes in a normal size enclosure? I don't need any LFO/envelope shenanigans.... an expression jack for the frequency would be nice though.
Last edited by hollowhero on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hollowhero

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: small AND cheap analog filter pedal

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:07 pm

So, you want something like a Xerograph?
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby leaves turn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:11 pm

Xerograph Deluxe sounds great and has expression control, though in my experience the sweep was wonky (used an EP3). It's a little rare and usually goes for $150+

Lower end you've got DOD FX25B which is fairly popular. No expression control. I've never used one. There's one on reverb right now for $50.
disclaimer: I'm an engineer with DigiTech/DOD
good deals
leaves turn

experienced
experienced

Postby chuckjaywalk » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:20 pm

I've used the FX25 and FX25B. There are definitely better in that price range. I like the Bassballs and Digitech SynthWah.
My force of habit, I am an insect
I have to confess I'm proud as hell of that fact
chuckjaywalk

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby hollowhero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Chankgeez wrote:So, you want something like a Xerograph?

That could work... for some reason I thought that was digital :idk:
hollowhero

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 pm

You know, I don't really know if it's digital.

I just took a look at the Iron Ether website and it didn't say anything about it either way. I can't imagine it would be, but you never know.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ro_S » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:01 pm

what's the difference between an envelope filter and an auto wah?
Effects for Me & My Monkey
http://www.facebook.com/effectsformeandmymonkey
Online Store:
http://effectsformemymonkey.bigcartel.com/
Declaration of interest: official distributor, Sharptone FX (handmade fuzz pedals)
Ro_S

committed
committed

Postby nevada » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm

What kind of filter? Lowpass like the Moog?
Good deals with PumpkinPieces, hazelwould, PetZounds, Steelyeye, DannDubbleEwe (x3), skullservant (x3), ChetMagongalo, leaves turn, Helter, EvilCatBucky, OddKnowledge, vanderholm, Phengren Oswald, Uncle Grandfather, decomposing, MrNovember, multi_s (x2), smallsoundbigsound (x2), Dandolin, Strangle Tales who is a good dude
nevada

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 pm

Envelope filters use the input signal to control the envelope of the filter.

Auto wahs may use an LFO or another method to cycle the filter.

Here's a good read:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/e ... cftech.htm

Either way, there's movement going on with the filter.

I think hollowhero's asking about a static filter than can be swept with an expression pedal.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nevada » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Chankgeez wrote:You know, I don't really know if it's digital.

I just took a look at the Iron Ether website and it didn't say anything about it either way. I can't imagine it would be, but you never know.

I'm pretty sure it's digital and uses FV-1 to do its DSP.
Good deals with PumpkinPieces, hazelwould, PetZounds, Steelyeye, DannDubbleEwe (x3), skullservant (x3), ChetMagongalo, leaves turn, Helter, EvilCatBucky, OddKnowledge, vanderholm, Phengren Oswald, Uncle Grandfather, decomposing, MrNovember, multi_s (x2), smallsoundbigsound (x2), Dandolin, Strangle Tales who is a good dude
nevada

experienced
experienced

Postby hollowhero » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:23 pm

Yeah, I'm just looking for a static low pass filter with frequency and resonance controls in a small box (like a 1590b). If it's got extra filter modes or envelope/lfo control that's fine too.
hollowhero

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Xero is digital, yes, but man, it sure does not sound like it at all. Sounds basically just as fucking fat and huge as the moog Low Pass I used to have, but it's way smaller and easier to use.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I usually don't like digital (although, they're continuing to make digital pedals sound closer and closer to warmth of analog), but I've got a Xerograph Deluxe and I think it sounds pretty nice. So, :idk: , I guess that's a recommendation right there.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nevada » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:32 pm

I've been looking into the same thing for quite some time. The cheapest way that I've seen to get something decent is probably Korg's Mini KP-1. Definitely not optimal for guitar, etc. Doesn't meet your criteria at all.

There's the Ibanez Tone-Lok SB7. It appears to basically be a lowpass filter capable of 1) auto-wah or envelope via the "SENS" knob and three modes, as well as 2) a pre-filter overdrive. I haven't used one, but I read about a thousand different descriptions. Seems solid, sounds nice and resonant to me. Any higher in the price range and you can probably just get the small Moogerfooger.

I don't believe the previously mentioned DOD filter is a lowpass. Could be wrong. I asked on here recently and someone said bandpass.

Having someone build this thing might be optimal: http://ericarcher.net/devices/diy-lpf/
nevada

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 pm

Well, that's kind of the thing, I don't there are too many analog filter pedals in the first place (whether band-pass or low-pass). Much less any that are inexpensive, in a small enclosure and have expression pedal control for the frequency.

That DIY project looks pretty neat, nevada. I think you should do that.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear