UG demos RM-1N with Shruti Box

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: UG demos Ciat-Lonbarde Cocoquantus 2

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 pm

None yet! Haha, I get cables as needed. Most of my cv-like parameter modulation is done in the box or via midi. But now, more of my pedals are getting cv ins, so I'm looking into cv sources. These are cool for manual cv control stuff.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Dunst Dust Sifter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:49 pm

This morning I was just posting about this in the Setup of the Day thread, check that thread for links....LMNTL cables fit the Kommander fine, and Control sells a house brand of cables with even slimmer housing if you don't want the cables touching...apparently Doepfer cables will work too.

annnd, I was just playing with an Ieaskul F Mobenthey Dunst before moving it to another case to make room for a new Denum. Was pretty excited with how the patch was going so I recorded a little clip. The Dunst puts out four different flavors of noise, real neat things happen when you FM it. So I've got both of the NOISE outs patched to IN of a Meng Qi DPLPG, with both DUST to the DPLPG's CV. Using two oscillators from a Fourses to FM Dust and Noise with its other two oscillators modulating them. Then patched two oscillators from a second Fourses to modulate the first with its other two oscillators modulating itself. And finally using a single oscillator from a third Fourses to modulate one of the oscillators on the second Fourses. pretty straightforward but just loving how making little changes to that third Fourses has such a big effect on the Dunst.
:joy:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Wiard JAG - Joystick Axis Generator

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:14 pm

Hey, well this thing is awesome. Malekko Wiard JAG, Joystick Axis Generator. I'm sending it signals from 2 Ieaskul F Mobenthey Swoop into the JAG, sending the JAG outputs to modulate 2 Fourses which are modulating a Denum. I've also got the Fourses modulating the Bounds/Bounce of the Swoop, with the Swoop triggering one another. The JAG works with Audio or CV..and Video too...so throughout I switch the Swoop from CV to Audio to Low Audio. The lights on the JAG show which output(s) are active with their brightness indicating the strength, blinkin lights is good. I didn't realize how hard this was gonna rule, can't hardly wait to get a Joystick now to drive it :joy:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos 4x Ieaskul F Mobenthey Denum

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:19 am

ayyy, here's a listen to four Ieaskul F. Mobenthey Denum vco FM one another's expo Bounds/Bounce. Patched the Square out from each Denum into the VCA in of a different Denum...the Triangle's are bussed to the VCA inserts....patched the resulting Left/Rite VCA outs to two different Denum's Bounds or Bounce. Two different patches here, but similar.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:33 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:Hey, well this thing is awesome. Malekko Wiard JAG, Joystick Axis Generator. I'm sending it signals from 2 Ieaskul F Mobenthey Swoop into the JAG, sending the JAG outputs to modulate 2 Fourses which are modulating a Denum. I've also got the Fourses modulating the Bounds/Bounce of the Swoop, with the Swoop triggering one another. The JAG works with Audio or CV..and Video too...so throughout I switch the Swoop from CV to Audio to Low Audio. The lights on the JAG show which output(s) are active with their brightness indicating the strength, blinkin lights is good. I didn't realize how hard this was gonna rule, can't hardly wait to get a Joystick now to drive it :joy:

At about 2 minutes in I had a vision of what an early 1980s arcade videogame machine would sound like with hiccups :) Just out of interest are these sounds something you have actual control over? I've never played with anything modular and I wonder if you make a great sound / riff / sequence with one, can you repeat it again on another occasion like you could with a guitar for example? Or are these sounds semi randomly generating themselves? (which is also cool, I like pedals that add unexpected notes to whatever I'm doing, I just wondered how much of this is you sitting back and listening to the machines singing to each other in a sort of J.G Ballard dystopian sound experience and how much you know about what will happen next... or perhaps the future is unknowable :))
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:32 pm

moid wrote:
At about 2 minutes in I had a vision of what an early 1980s arcade videogame machine would sound like with hiccups :) Just out of interest are these sounds something you have actual control over? I've never played with anything modular and I wonder if you make a great sound / riff / sequence with one, can you repeat it again on another occasion like you could with a guitar for example? Or are these sounds semi randomly generating themselves? (which is also cool, I like pedals that add unexpected notes to whatever I'm doing, I just wondered how much of this is you sitting back and listening to the machines singing to each other in a sort of J.G Ballard dystopian sound experience and how much you know about what will happen next... or perhaps the future is unknowable :))

:lol: :thumb: Yes you have full control, using control voltage :) And indeed there are random voltage generators you can use, and even chaotic voltage generators that really do their own thing :cool: A modular synth is really whatever you want it to be, but at its core it is just an instrument that you can tune and play....you build the sound you want and play it with a keyboard for instance. Or, from the point of view of a composer you can program your melodies and/or riff(s) and rhythms and let the modular play em for you. Or you can patch the modular up to self generate its own melodies and evolve on its own from your initial settings...of course you can do all of theses things at the same time and with however complex control you want to have. On some level it boils down to you turn a knob and that changes the sound or function, with modular you use control voltages to do the turning of knobs for you. In that particular demo I was using the JAG to send 10 different control voltages to make changes to 10 different knobs at once :animal:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:43 pm

That sounds fantastic! I often run two chains of audio from my guitar, one will go into pedals that are relatively predictable in the sounds they create / I want to create, whereas the other audio path goes through anything interesting that is around just to see what happens in case it forms a strange background tone that I would not have made consciously that I can use with the guitar in the mix. By the sounds of it, your JAG controller is this same sort of thing, but on steroids :) Thanks for replying.
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:33 pm

moid wrote:That sounds fantastic! I often run two chains of audio from my guitar, one will go into pedals that are relatively predictable in the sounds they create / I want to create, whereas the other audio path goes through anything interesting that is around just to see what happens in case it forms a strange background tone that I would not have made consciously that I can use with the guitar in the mix. By the sounds of it, your JAG controller is this same sort of thing, but on steroids :) Thanks for replying.

Its pretty wild and incredibly fun haha. If you think of the modular as a pedalboard, It might be closer to think of the JAG as ten individual hands that are turning ten different knobs on your pedalboard for you in different ways. And a really neat thing with control voltage, or CV, with your hand you can pretty much only go so fast back and forth with a knob in pretty much the same kinda shape...CV can go EXTREMELY FAST and jump automatically from position to position in otherwise impossible shapes...and you have full control over this too! I've never used one yet, but the JAG works with a Joystick controller that you can use to drive which outputs are active on the JAG. I'm really looking forward to trying that out :joy:
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Knas The Ekdahl Moisturizer with EBow

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:46 pm

ayyyo, here's a listen to using an EBow with a Knas The Ekdahl Moisturizer. EBow has two settings and they both give a different kinda response, pretty neat
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby moid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

Wow. That thing could make a new soundtrack for Tarkovsky's Stalker on it's own! Perfect for dystopian possessed abandoned metalwork factory complex type riffs :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby moid » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Uncle Grandfather wrote:
Its pretty wild and incredibly fun haha. If you think of the modular as a pedalboard, It might be closer to think of the JAG as ten individual hands that are turning ten different knobs on your pedalboard for you in different ways. And a really neat thing with control voltage, or CV, with your hand you can pretty much only go so fast back and forth with a knob in pretty much the same kinda shape...CV can go EXTREMELY FAST and jump automatically from position to position in otherwise impossible shapes...and you have full control over this too! I've never used one yet, but the JAG works with a Joystick controller that you can use to drive which outputs are active on the JAG. I'm really looking forward to trying that out :joy:

Thanks for explaining it... so basically it allows you to become a multi limbed creature without expensive surgery?
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:03 pm

moid wrote:Wow. That thing could make a new soundtrack for Tarkovsky's Stalker on it's own! Perfect for dystopian possessed abandoned metalwork factory complex type riffs :)

:!!!: yeah, I spent the better part of the day dialing in some great sounds :excellent:

moid wrote:Thanks for explaining it... so basically it allows you to become a multi limbed creature without expensive surgery?

:lol: exactly
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Knas Moisturizer with Violin Bow

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:16 pm

hey oh, it can be kinda tricky if you get the bow hairs and springs all caught up but still pretty good sounds to be found. A Knas Moisturizer with violin bow, manually sweeping parameters.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Seppuku FX Dynamic Echo Modulator as source

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:35 am

hey now, here's a listen to some of the Seppuku FX Dynamic Echo Modulator's self generated sounds when used with no input signal, towards the end I plug in the Knas Moisturizer.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: UG demos Ciat-Lonbarde Sidrax and Tetrax modulation fun

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:34 pm

okay, the Ciat-Lonbarde Sidrax and Tetrax organs modulating one another. For simplicity I'm almost only dealing with FM between the oscillators and organs...nothing patched with the glitch inputs or with the barre press/release. So, I've got all four oscillators on the Tetrax patched to FM one another. Then patched two of these oscillators to FM two oscillators on the Sidrax. Sidrax has a couple of its oscillators FM one another too, and its cross patched to the Tetrax's master pitch. Finally another of the oscillators from the Tetrax is patched to the master pitch and chaos on the Sidrax. Sidrax is plugged into the interface so its the sound source, I squish two of its barres and go through the range of the sliders on the Tetrax to discover some of the great sounds from this simple FM patch.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear