Pedal: low pass, low gain, and more mids --> low mids

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Pedal: low pass, low gain, and more mids --> low mids

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:30 am

...that isn't an EQ pedal :whateva:

I know it may seem a bit "TGP-esque" to ask about low gain and fattening up low mids and thicken single coils, etc. in a pedal, but that's really the situation I'm in (go easy on me). Mainly, it's my Sunn. It sounds fucking killer but I really wanna thicken the mids from my single coils while staying low gain to just a hair of dirt/break up. With my TAFM engaged it doesn't matter much, but when playing on its own at the verge of break up, it can be a bit lacking in the mids, for my taste, I suppose.

The closest I've gotten to getting a really thick low-low gain dirt and really fucking liked is my Sparkle Motion!! :!!!: The sparkle up top can still make it just a smudge too scooped, but that's still on my board though.

Recently I picked up a Greenhouse Middleman boost but it sounds much better at higher gain settings than at lower gain. It also doesn't seem to pass low end, or at least boost it, as I'd like. The mid boost is set up higher 500hz and adds a little too much gain. Tried the elements but felt it also did much better at higher gain. I didn't seem to enjoy it on lower gain as much. I'm also dumb and get too knob happy with EQ pedals and shit with too many knobs. Fuck on the crackle mode was great but, well, no buts really, I should of kept it, haha. Perhaps a hair muffled with the crackle mode just off a bit. I have a RAT TAIL but I want to put it back on my bass board and it gets a little too dirty a little too quickly. I was hoping to hop on that Mountain Range in the bst but just missed it.

What can I look at that isn't an EQ pedal and doesn't have much gain on tap. Just a big, fat, low pass, volume booster, that might dedicate thickness on low mids to mid (?) mids or better yet has a dedicated knob for MIDS? :idk:
Stacks with fuzzes, simple layout, stays on the cleaner side of dirt/gain, and isn't a crazy fancy $72738391 "secret TGP mojo" blah blah blah pedal.

Perhaps I still need to look out for a Mountain Range? Anyone else in the same situation as me? :lol:

:idk: :hello:
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Pedal: low pass, low gain, and more mids --> low mids

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:39 am

You might want to check out the Maestro Parametric filter/OD....i know you don't want an eq, but this pedal is actually a wah, filter, boost, od/fuzz pedal in one...depending on how you use it.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:41 am

chillerthanmost wrote:... Fuck on the crackle mode was great but, well, no buts really, I should of kept it, haha.

Perhaps I still need to look out for a Mountain Range?

Why not just get another Fuck or a Fuck/Mountain?

Also the Stone Deaf PDF-1 might do what you're seeking? :idk:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 am

Chankgeez wrote:Also the Stone Deaf PDF-1 might do what you're seeking? :idk:

This is what I was gonna recommend. :thumb:
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:44 am

Thanks. I might pick up another fuck at one point. I have a mini already too. I was gonna hop on MEC's fuck but just missed that one too, haha. I literally just sold my third fuck a few days ago. Fuck me. Still though, it didn't really emphasized on the MIDS and low pass. I actually found it bright except on the crackle mode, which passed a bit more low end.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:47 am

So the Stone Deaf is a clone of the Maestro Parametric Filter/OD. interesting.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:55 am

Judging on pics alone the Stone Deaf looks neat. Gonna look into it more as soon as I get home. Seems a bit too "versatile" for just wanting to to a single trick, but I won't judge it too much yet.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:09 am

chillerthanmost wrote:Judging on pics alone the Stone Deaf looks neat. Gonna look into it more as soon as I get home. Seems a bit too "versatile" for just wanting to to a single trick, but I won't judge it too much yet.

here's what the original looks like.

its cool how the whole pedal is the "stomp". the dials light up and are designed to be adjusted with your foot, and the black circle is also adjusted with your foot. this is part of a lineup of pedals that bob moog designed for Maestro.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:14 am

I would suggest the Devi Karaoke Party. Low parts count, you could probably build it in under an hour. I've built a few of them, and they lean on the low mids side and add a little beef, while staying low gain and having a great amount of volume on tap if you need it.

Other than that, I know it's an EQ, but the Six Shooter PCB from 1776 Effects really rules. It's easy to build, has 6 bands so you can tailor the exact amount of mids that you'd like, and really you could stick it at the end and when you go between heads either use it or not
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:18 am

Right on.
Watched the tweaking part of the Prymaxe demo and wasn't too impressed until he switched over to the green (clean) channel. Very interesting. A hair on the pricier side but do-able. Specially if they pop up used.

Anything else I can be checking out? Thanks again for the suggestion so far. I just played a few different pedals and my Sparkle Motion just kicks so much ass. I, however, want to use it with my Sound City because it also kicks ass with that amp.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chillerthanmost » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks Skully. I'll be sure to check those out. I'm also planning on ordering some boards from 1776 effects as it is, so I'll take a look at that one as well.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby skullservant » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:29 am

I ended up putting an XLR output on my six shooter while I was building it, in addition to the regular 1/4" output, just so I could use it to DI with if necessary. I noticed on certain settings there was a bit of a volume boost, so I put a 500k volume knob along with a treble bleed circuit onto it as well, which really finished it off nicely. I've found NUMEROUS uses for it outside of just on my board. It's a nice Swiss Army knife!!
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:33 am

For anyone that doesn't know that Maestro and the Stone Deaf are basically QOTSA in a box.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Uncle Grandfather » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:36 am

D.o.S. wrote:For anyone that doesn't know that Maestro and the Stone Deaf are basically QOTSA in a box.

yeah, i've seen some pics of homme with his maestro.
Uncle Grandfather

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 am

The Elements allows you to boost the mids at 400hz, dunno if that's low enough for you.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Next

Return to General Gear