any of you guys play lap steel?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: any of you guys play lap steel?

Postby braaandooon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:48 pm

I have absolutely no advice on playing lapsteel. I remember seeing Dredg a long time ago, and Gavin Hayes ran a lap steel into an ibanez de7, shit sounded good. The intro to "bug eyes" always sounded nice and haunting.
Biggest Muff --> http://imgur.com/Tif0mdU

braaandooon

experienced
experienced

Postby The_Active_Conundrum » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:03 pm

I have a lapsteel I use sometimes. the pickup is total garbage. I have it tuned to open D minor. I tried a couple tunings, but Dm is what made music come out.
Great dealings with: ryan summit, UncleGrandfather, Pizza, hbombgraphics, dangergirlstarship, Clockworker, kosta
The_Active_Conundrum

experienced
experienced

Postby gordian knot » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 am

friendship wrote:I don't know anything about it at all, but I love the sound. Where did you start? What do you play? idk:

I've tried some pedal steel, sprt pf a more complicated lap steel in a way. It was pretty difficult beautiful but very difficult.
but I did start w/o using pedals - so it was sorta similar.

do you play regular slide?
gordian knot

committed
committed

Postby popvulture » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:36 pm

I play lap and pedal steel – I'd definitely recommend messing with the former if you're just looking for something fun/new to explore without too much headache.

Aside from just being fun, another really awesome thing about lap steel is that you can still find some pretty fucking great vintage models without breaking the bank. I bought my 1950 National Chicagoan on eBay for about 300 bucks, and all I had to do to get in pretty top working order was restring it, spray the pots and get a 1/4" to phenolic cable made (which I preferred over changing the original jack on the guitar).

Obv they sound amazing through effects—to my ears, the more psychy/dreamy the better. Different bars and odder, more textured type of slide implements are fun to fuck around with too. For standard bars, I personally like BJS (bjsbars.com, not sure what his current state of production is). A volume pedal is pretty much a must, which is a whole other topic that people seem to be able to wig out about endlessly. I've liked playing some of the newer Goodrich models, but I mainly use one of the fat old Sho-Buds. Good luck!
neonblack wrote:They say tone is in the hooks

D.o.S. wrote:I'm pretty sure moderation leads to Mustang Sally.

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphJfwsUbT4
popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby friendship » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:34 am

Necro thread! With lots of guidance from Chanks, I eventually acquired an Electromuse from the 40s for stupid cheap. For a couple months I was using a regular glass slide, but then bought a Schubb bar, the weight of which really helped. I'm still a novice on it, but it's so much fun and such a great texture. I've been adding it to some recordings I'm working on with friend.

I also find it responds well to effects, more so than I expected. I like adding subtle, slow pre-dirt modulation. I also like running it through big ass stereo effects for a really spacey sound. It eats hedonistic quantities of compression and soft clipping for breakfast too.

Super glad I got one. :success:
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:53 am

friendship wrote:Necro thread!

I thought it deserved it. :bear: That lap steel in the eBay listing I necrobumped with seems pretty nice. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby popvulture » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:09 am

Ha, I didn't notice the original post date...

coldbrightsunlight wrote:Yes I am a soppy pop person at heart I think with noises round the edge

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:14 am

That's alright, you still gave good advice. :thumb:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby friendship » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:53 am

Agreed! Excellent advice regardless (I hadn't considered textured slides). And that Recording King is hoooot.
sound journal

actualidiot wrote:12-bit's almost analog, right?
friendship

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bugzaney » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:45 pm

any recommendations on an affordable beginner lap steel?
bugzaney

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:19 pm

Yeah, bid on the one I posted on the last page.

(What do you think you're looking for, bugzaney?)

You can usually find nice vintage lap steels for less than $350 or so if you look.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby popvulture » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Yeah it's great to mess around with all kinds of weird stuff beyond the standard bar. I remember seeing that Nels Cline does a lot of that stuff—he's got a whole collection of cool things like springs and random other textured objects to drag across the strings. A tip in that department: put heavy strings on the steel. They hold up better to gnarlier materials, plus they just sound better. I think I have 13s on mine.

As for beginner lap steels, I don't really know much about companies that make new ones... to my knowledge, there's not a lap steel equivalent of the Carter Starter (a beginner pedal steel that's pretty decent).

BUT... the great thing is that you can get vintage ones for pretty cheap, so why not get one of those? It's really one of the last great untapped vintage markets, I guess just because they're not super popular. For 300 bucks, you can get something really awesome with just a little digging around.

Also, for anyone who ever gets into steels and wants to dig a little deeper, steelguitarforum.com is a great resource. There are guys on there who machine parts, etc that are otherwise unavailable... pretty damn dedicated people.

popvulture

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 pm

This lady plays:

#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dandolin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

I heard tell^^^
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:59 pm

… and look, she even got a steel guit to match the color of my new avatar.
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear