Hoof vs Pharaoh

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Hoof vs Pharaoh

Postby stripes » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Need to get some kind of a muff pedal... Might just end up getting a regular old big muff, but these two guys seem to be really popular and I haven't played either. Not really looking for versatility as much as a nice and smooth distortion that doesn't drown out what I'm playing (this includes a lot of chords), and has that muffy sound.

I had a Black Russian muff and I really regret selling it...
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Hoof vs Pharaoh

Postby sonidero » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:59 pm

Pharaoh will do those sounds you want... I use Germanium or no diodes and it rules low and high gain, it really excels with the Mini or Algal before or after...

GET ONE!!!
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby chillerthanmost » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:52 am

I only enjoy my Pharaoh in the germanium setting. It took me getting/trying a Pharaoh THREE times before deciding to hold on to it and now I play it a lot. Again, strictly on the germanium setting. Full on the fuzz, low and dark on the tone. I also like Triangle muffs a lot too, I would take a look at a triangle variant. Perhaps the Tri-Pie 70's? But that might be a bit creamier than what you're looking for. Though you did mention smooth. I think the Pharaoh and the Hoof are both a bit edgy and based off Civil War muffs? Ram Heads are pretty smooth. Sorry, there's so many muffs, I know you asked about just two. I don't mean to add more. I'll stop typing now. However, Pharaoh into a boost or od is dynamite. Tonight I played it into my Rat Tail and it sounded excellent. Also does great before a Mini, Fuck, and Elemets, as I have all mentioned.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

Postby adapt » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:28 am

pharaoh is actually based off a 47 ram's head, the hoof is some kind of hybrid green muff/violet ram's head.
will help you!!
adapt

committed
committed

Postby Jules-RM » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:36 am

They each have their own unique character. Both can sit well in a mix if set right.

I've owned both, I sold the Hoof and held on to the Pharaoh. The Pharaoh can sound a little dull by itself, it prefers being stacked with an OD. Great for leads, not too shabby with rhythm. For me the Hoof was a little too thin, though it worked great for some stuff.
Jules-RM

interested
interested

Postby Doctor X » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:26 am

Sold to: dan_abnormal (3 times), Abanoise, Kayzer, Ragged Trousers, Schlatte
Bought from: McSpunckle, RitalinCupcake, Tendollarcat, Brobee, Ryan, cedarskies, behndy
Doctor X

experienced
experienced

Postby benjuro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:41 am

Both are great pedals...Hoof is closer to a Russian Muff sound if you're trying to get back to that, although it's going to add a clarity and snarl that Muffs won't have. The "fog" most of those Muffs ooze just isn't there...which is a good or bad thing, depending on what you want. I have an early 3 knob Hoof that is my go-to when I want massive walls of devastating mid-scooped evil. If you go Hoof, transistor selection can be important, as reportedly some recent models don't sound nearly as good.
If nice and smooth distortion is truly what you're after, a Pharaoh might be better suited to you. The fact that it stacks brilliantly with almost everything is a huge bonus. Be prepared to use it with gobs of volume, understand there's a learning curve to the controls, and remember versatility just means more of a range to dial in your sound...
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:28 am

benjuro summed it up very nicely. :thumb:

I'd say consider the relaunched Supercollider as well if you're after more gain and tons of EQ flexibility. Acid Age just announced two versions, standard and new '71, both available for special preorder price as we speak. I'm getting a '71 to go along with my Beast, excited!
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby bigchiefbc » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:25 am

If you want smooth, I'd avoid Russian and op-amp muffs, I'm not even sure I'd call the Rams Head all that smooth. The triangle is the smoothest/creamiest, and I'd say the latter (2000's) NYC muff is the next smoothest muff. It's not sexy or boutique, but if that's what you want, you could do worse.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby stripes » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

i just wish someone would force me to buy one... it doesn't really even matter which. i'll probably get the first one that comes up for sale on the cheap. they are all basically cut from the same cloth close enough where i can make any one work. just need a nice distortion. like... i used a FAB tone for the longest time
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Dwarfcraft Devices, Eau Claire Thunder.

Dr. Scientist, The Elements
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MEC » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Cheap Musket here: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34674
:idk:
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby JohnnyC » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:17 pm

i had the hoof and pharoah, liked them for different reasons/applications.

some muff comparisons i did with a looper and same mic position...take it with a grain of salt thou...

ANARCHY AUDIO AUSTRALIA (Hand wired and assembled effects from the west coast of Australia)
http://www.anarchyaudioaustralia.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Anarch...35159009874965
http://soundcloud.com/anarchy-audio-australia
JohnnyC

committed
committed

Postby fungalattack » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Green muff all day. It has quickly become my go to fuzz. Black Russian muff if you are on a budget. The pharaoh is cool, too!
Fuzz, reverb, delay.

http://dridge.bandcamp.com/
fungalattack

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby stripes » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:59 pm

fungalattack wrote:Green muff all day. It has quickly become my go to fuzz. Black Russian muff if you are on a budget. The pharaoh is cool, too!

just bundled those two muffs on the bst for a good deal.. nyc and black russian. gonna mod the nyc to triangle or ramshead, maybe add a mids control. gonna true bypass the black one and fix those jacks :D :snax:
stripes

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear