Fender Blender and Ampeg Scrambler clones

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Fender Blender and Ampeg Scrambler clones

Postby alalalkasar » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:05 am

I've got one of the fender reissue blenders modded for no volume drop.
It's one of my top all-time no1 evil bass fuzz machines ever. Surprisingly musical and can get all modern and evil and also old school and evil.
alalalkasar

committed
committed

Postby Cobrah » Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:07 am

I think a scrambler clone is one of my next projects. just picked up a bass vi and its making me want to build more bass heavy stuff. that and i got a mantic density hulk on the way.
Cobrah

committed
committed

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:16 pm

My go to scrambler is the creepy fingers pink elephant. It works awesome on bass and bass vi. Not much of a guitar guy, but I'm sure it's fine on guitar
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chaosmic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:20 pm

http://metalstringsound.com/collections ... osmic-fuzz

I've been working on the Rabbit Hole FX Chaosmic Fuzz since October and it's officially in production now. It's a beautiful and vicious realization of a full featured Scrambler that I've had in mind for some years now. Absolutely smokes on bass or guitar. I'll have proper clips and such in the near future. Should be available in September.
Chaosmic

committed
committed

Postby Abanoise » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:40 am

PumpkinPieces wrote:Ronsound had a Fender Blender clone tht fixed the massive volume drop and added led indicators and put the jacks the right way and basically made it how it shouldve been when they reissued it.

Yes, it's one of the best Blender I've ever tried. Immedialty sold my original '69 one when I received it.
You're not a musician, you're a low frequencies generator!

Good deals: starcastic, multi_s, Ragged Trousers, phantasmagorovich x2, delaydecay, Aen, plotkin, TheOndrakGuy, Grandnoise, smallsnd/bgsnd, jskadiang, WtrPlyr, sp3k, AngryGoldfish, dan_abnormal, laekna x11, casperh7, FreakFlagRecordings, MEC x3, CaptainBoxman, wsf1234, durden26, Communarchy, painbeam, hipwaf, shrubber, chutneyfarmer, John, colossus, Jero, Jono, DarkAxel, Lebowsky, Eivind August, Snufkino, boneslygrifter
Abanoise

experienced
experienced

Postby potatofarmer » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:23 am

I built a scrambler a couple years back using the Tonepad layout. Works great for either guitar or bass; really like having the clean blend knob.
potatofarmer

interested
interested

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:26 am

Chaosmic wrote:http://metalstringsound.com/collections/pedals/products/rabbit-hole-chaosmic-fuzz

I've been working on the Rabbit Hole FX Chaosmic Fuzz since October and it's officially in production now. It's a beautiful and vicious realization of a full featured Scrambler that I've had in mind for some years now. Absolutely smokes on bass or guitar. I'll have proper clips and such in the near future. Should be available in September.

So It's a blender-y circuit?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chaosmic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:44 pm

D.o.S. wrote:
Chaosmic wrote:http://metalstringsound.com/collections/pedals/products/rabbit-hole-chaosmic-fuzz

So It's a blender-y circuit?

I've never owned a Blender before so I can't really say. I've heard that the Blender and Scrambler are similar though. The Chaosmic Fuzz is heavily inspired by the Scrambler and this unusual circuit is the heart of the pedal. I've added a Gain control, independent Fuzz and Clean volumes and a 2-band active EQ. The original Texture control from the Scrambler has been tweaked and renamed the Chaos control. These 6 controls allow you to drastically shape the tone and response and really dial in the sound to gel with your rig.
Chaosmic

committed
committed

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Sounds promising. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby rfurtkamp » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:05 am

I've had little issue with volume drop on my RI Blender, but I'm hitting it with a very hot signal to begin with. I'd just buy one of those, as I'm a sucker for the old units.

Scrambler I have a faithfulish early homebrew clone that made me sell my vintage and RI ones (sadly, before the prices went to obscenity).

I love the Scrambler, it's my alltime favorite traditional fuzz.

For bass, it wins because of the blend knob.

Blender sounds massive by comparison but I think it's supposed to.

Scrambler is just a crazy crack machine.

Most of the Scrambler clones I've heard are pretty close, if I got another I'd probably go with a Basic Audio one as I talked to John about it a couple years back and hoped he'd do one.

One final note: BEWARE of the new "Scrambler DI" thing Ampeg is shilling.

It is NOT a Scrambler. It's a boring bass overdrive and preamp, they just took the damn name.

It's like putting a badge on a Yugo saying it's a Porsche.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby StopReferencing » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:44 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

I had: Fender Blender RI, Fender Blender original, Ronsound Flender, Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant.

Fender Blender RI sounded kind of cool, had nasty volume drop. Fender Blender original was massive, insane, outrageous. Ronsound Flender was...fine? Didn't sound like a Fender Blender to me (either the RI or the original), which I found...you know, rather puzzling. Ron the man is terrific, and he made me some excellent muffs -- I just didn't get his take on the FB, I guess.

Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant did not sound anything like a Fender Blender. It sounded cool, though. Kind of...superfuzz-like? Sacrilege to say that probably, sorry.
StopReferencing

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 am

StopReferencing wrote:Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant did not sound anything like a Fender Blender. It sounded cool, though. Kind of...superfuzz-like? Sacrilege to say that probably, sorry.

I think that's probably because the Pink Elephant is based on the Scrambler.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BLOOD EAGLE » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:55 am

StopReferencing wrote:Creepy Fingers Pink Elephant did not sound anything like a Fender Blender. It sounded cool, though. Kind of...superfuzz-like? Sacrilege to say that probably, sorry.

the pink elephant is a scrambler clone, and while i *think* they cover the same rough territory the blender and the scrambler ARE different sounds.
a few months ago i was really gassing for a scrambler clone. i contacted Creepy Fingers and got put on a wait list. still waiting (patiently).

EDIT *what Chankgeez said*
BLOOD EAGLE

committed
committed

Postby D.o.S. » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:56 am

:lol:
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chaosmic » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:39 am

I'm stoked to see people talking about the Scrambler. It's definitely one of my favorite fuzz circuits ever. Here's a quick improv iPhone clip I recorded of the Chaosmic Fuzz:

I mostly adjusted the Gain and Chaos controls slightly throughout the clip. I think I've got a couple of guitar clips as well. I'm excited to release these into the wild soon!
Last edited by Chaosmic on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaosmic

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear