Help me design my Dunwich amplifier



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby new05002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 pm

D.o.S. wrote:... you should build a phase 90 into EQ1 and a Small Stone into EQ2.

Swirlie sounds forever.


i dont think Dan would appreciate it.
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby phantasmagorovich » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:13 pm

I really hate lots of knobs but this EQ design is awe-ing me.

I'd really like to know how that sounds.
phantasmagorovich

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 6944
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby sylnau » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:28 pm

I guess he had a dicksplosion caus the control look so badass and cannot post. :lol:
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 9844
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm
Location: Quebec City

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby new05002 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 pm

phantasmagorovich wrote:I really hate lots of knobs but this EQ design is awe-ing me.

I'd really like to know how that sounds.


sylnau wrote:I guess he had a dicksplosion caus the control look so badass and cannot post. :lol:


thanks for the kind words.
new05002

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3867
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:44 pm

new05002 wrote:here is the first design I came up with for Dan

Image

I figured I can share this since we are making it a public discussion on this amp.


Wow. That is way more deco than I expected.
I retract all my previous comments/advice/input regarding style.
AG, you need a housing that looks like an old radio.
http://www.scifres.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Day-18-Cathedral-Clock-Low.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Little_General_Cathedral_radio_-_raw.jpg
Image
Image

I hope nobody posted that shit already...you guys cranked the pages out since last time I checked.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11354
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Frimmin' on the Fram

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AxAxSxS » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:03 am

Doing a speaker cover like that would be the shit.
Band=InfiniteFlux Flux on Bandcamp
"Ingenuity comes in the face of adversity, and nobody ever becomes a legend by following the rules set by society" -A.A.
Corey Y wrote:it's not obsessive gear hoarding. ;)

Infinite Flux full sets and demo's on youtube
whiskey_face wrote:that girl can fucking hit lemme tell you :love: :lol:

https://infiniteflux.bandcamp.com/
AxAxSxS

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 4833
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:57 pm

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AngryGoldfish » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:30 pm

D.o.S. wrote:That train is sexy, it almost hides the fact that the amp has MV. :lol:

I prefer non-master volume amps as well, but if I can't bring my pedalboard with me for dirt I'm going to need to raise the gain on this and still have volumes my friends will want to listen to. The sad truth is, most people don't like loud volumes. This amp is going to be for a quieter practise rig at home and a performing amp—pubs, small clubs, house parties, small weddings, street shows, etc. It's not a Doom amp; it just can Doom out with the right hands. :thumb: My original Dunwich amp was a beast. It would be 45 watts or 90 watts using two different sets of power tubes, a full-size head with two different controllable preamps. But in the end I decided against that idea for the moment. I still want to do it one day, if Nick is still building in a couple of years time, but for now I'm happy with picking up a used vintage amp. I just missed out on a Simms-Watts 100 and a 2x15 cabinet. If I join a band again and start properly performing, I have plans of running a Fryette Deliverance 120 and a Matamp GT1/Marshall Super Bass in stereo. For now I'm happy with a small combo.

Holy Schnikes wrote:Font looks pretty slick. :thumb:

Color scheme gonna be identical to your mockup, black print on white background or is that yet to be decided?

I'm still undecided on colour scheme. I love the simple white faceplate with black or slate grey text. But I also dig the black faceplate with faded gold text.

Iommic Pope wrote:
new05002 wrote:here is the first design I came up with for Dan

Image

I figured I can share this since we are making it a public discussion on this amp.


Wow. That is way more deco than I expected.
I retract all my previous comments/advice/input regarding style.
AG, you need a housing that looks like an old radio.
http://www.scifres.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Day-18-Cathedral-Clock-Low.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Little_General_Cathedral_radio_-_raw.jpg
Image
Image

I hope nobody posted that shit already...you guys cranked the pages out since last time I checked.

They are sick, especially the last one. Hmmm... this has got me thinking.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AngryGoldfish » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm

So Adam mentioned an idea that I had thought of before but dismissed shortly afterwards because I couldn't envision a tolex colour scheme I liked together. He suggested a combo of colours where the front faceplate surrounding the grill cloth is one colour and the rest of the amp is another. I like this idea but I think I'd rather a solid black or red tolex covering the entire amp apart from the grill cloth, open back and chassis faceplate. It inspired another idea. Black or red tolex with a STAINED faceplate. Thoughts?
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:15 pm

AngryGoldfish wrote:So Adam mentioned an idea that I had thought of before but dismissed shortly afterwards because I couldn't envision a tolex colour scheme I liked together. He suggested a combo of colours where the front faceplate surrounding the grill cloth is one colour and the rest of the amp is another. I like this idea but I think I'd rather a solid black or red tolex covering the entire amp apart from the grill cloth, open back and chassis faceplate. It inspired another idea. Black or red tolex with a STAINED faceplate. Thoughts?


Hard to get a color combination that will sit right. How about red tolex and black stain sort of like on this guitar here:

Image


Then again, I really like the idea of going for the ancient radio/old small amp style. Maybe you could add stained wooden bracing to protect it from the worst bumps. Or just go for the whole look and make it red tolex with wooden bracing like this suitcase (which would fit with the rail theme too)

Image
phantasmagorovich

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 6944
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby goroth » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:03 am

That's a nice suitcase!
D.o.S. wrote:Slow down there Hall & Nopes that's a lot of melons for a meatbox.

Debut album droppedJan 5. Fuck yeah. http://open.spotify.com/album/0vXjnDeyPNfeXWNvQRYP1H
My band /// Instagram ///Facebook ///
goroth

User avatar
HERO
HERO
 
Posts: 11310
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:50 am
Location: Eurothrash: Frozen northern outpost.

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby Iommic Pope » Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:19 am

That guitar stain was sweet. So sweet.

Also, that suitcase looks like it should be housing a rad little 45 porta-player.

Dude, old radio cover...you know you love it. If you wanted to go balls to the wall, you could mount the chassis into the bottom square part (Nick's rear mounting it, right?) and put the speaker in the arch. Failing that, theres noting that states the cut out for the speaker HAS to be circular, as long as the outside edges of the arch cut out allow dor the edges of the speaker...
Also, open back? I can't remember if that's come up.
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 11354
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Frimmin' on the Fram

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Iommic Pope wrote:Dude, old radio cover...you know you love it. If you wanted to go balls to the wall, you could mount the chassis into the bottom square part (Nick's rear mounting it, right?) and put the speaker in the arch. Failing that, theres noting that states the cut out for the speaker HAS to be circular, as long as the outside edges of the arch cut out allow dor the edges of the speaker...
Also, open back? I can't remember if that's come up.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the chassis and speaker mount. Remember, I still want the amp to look like an amp. I don't mind borrowing elements from art deco or other amp companies, but I want this to look like my amp, and for it to be both traditional and unique. I don't want to go too far with any one philosophy or art direction. With that said, what do you think to this idea I came up with in paint? Add the logo in the top right-hand corner. The chassis will be top-mounted, probably at the rear of the amp. And yes, open-back. It won't be fully open-back.

Dunwich Design #2.jpg
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:19 pm

phantasmagorovich wrote:
AngryGoldfish wrote:So Adam mentioned an idea that I had thought of before but dismissed shortly afterwards because I couldn't envision a tolex colour scheme I liked together. He suggested a combo of colours where the front faceplate surrounding the grill cloth is one colour and the rest of the amp is another. I like this idea but I think I'd rather a solid black or red tolex covering the entire amp apart from the grill cloth, open back and chassis faceplate. It inspired another idea. Black or red tolex with a STAINED faceplate. Thoughts?


Hard to get a color combination that will sit right. How about red tolex and black stain sort of like on this guitar here:

Image


Then again, I really like the idea of going for the ancient radio/old small amp style. Maybe you could add stained wooden bracing to protect it from the worst bumps. Or just go for the whole look and make it red tolex with wooden bracing like this suitcase (which would fit with the rail theme too)

Image

Those guitars are awesome looking. Who makes them?

This is not a bad idea. I'll give it some thought. I'm not very good at visualizing the end product, so I need visual aids like what you posted.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby phantasmagorovich » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Those guitars are by B.A. Ferguson from South (?) Carolina. The dude is called Boot Arreola and is really a nice guy. I had him design a custom guitar for me that I never ended up buying but that spawned a product line, the Shirley, now his main model, I think. Those two are examples of the Shirley. Mine used to be Shirley Temple. Green an borrowing some elements from Mosrites and Jazzmasters, finished up with Rickenbacker and Framus. God, it was awesome. But he got it finished as I was breaking up with my ex-wife and was knee-deep in hell. So I ended up not getting it. A year later he offered it to me at a special discount price but it was linked to those emotions. (We actually got very personal in our emails, he helped me a lot.) I ended up never buying it, I think it is still on the wall in his shop.
phantasmagorovich

User avatar
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 6944
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:31 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Help me design my Dunwich amplifier

Postby AngryGoldfish » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Wow, that sounds like the type of person I'd like to buy from. I'll check out this models. Thanks for the honest comment, mate. :hug:
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3528
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:57 pm
Location: Ireland

Previous

Return to General Gear



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Toropicana and 16 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.