How do YOU eq your amp?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: How do YOU eq your amp?

Postby greyscales » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:23 pm

If I want to use a clean amp, I'll typically go with everything flat at noon. Maybe a bump up here or there depending on how the room feels.

For dirty amps it really depends. For instance, I have used a Super Reverb with bass on 7, mids on 10, and treble off. But on my AC15 it is usually bass maxed, treble at noon or slightly lower.
greyscales

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:12 pm

smallsnd/bigsnd wrote:depends on what amp, what i'm playing (musically and instrument-wise) and who i'm playing with.

with my band, i try really hard to fit in without overpowering the bass so i typically cut the bass a bit and slightly boost treble. i like my "clean" to be slightly dirty so the preamp gain is up a bit as well. other than that i generally tend towards a more flat EQ with no reverb. depends though! when playing out i always check how things sound in the room, since there are always weird bass traps, hollow stages, reflective surfaces, etc.

edit: when i play guitar at the shop, i usually go for as flat a response as i can get out of my fender twin, with a bit of reverb added.

Back when I first started playing bass, I played with that huge scooped sound because it was what I thought sounded cool when I was playing by myself. Once I started playing in bands, I found that almost every guitarist I played with scooped the shit out of his signal (because that's what all the METULLLLZ dudes do) and basically made it so that my bass was completely inaudible in the band mix. So I started turning down the bass and treble and cranking my mids all the way up so I could at least be heard. After years and years of playing that way, I'm so used to hearing it that way that I play with that EQ even when I'm by myself and now I hate it when my sound is scooped or overly bassy/boomy. It's made it so that it sounds wrong to me if my signal isn't crazy mid-boosted.

I worry that one day I'll play with a guitarist who's all about mids and I'll have to change my EQ again and everything will sound wrong and I'll hate it.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I often play with amp settings that if I had them playing by myself would sound terrible but really work in a mix. All mids and treble and very little bass, without a band it sounds terribly thin but with a band (bass, piano and guitar so it's fairly full) it fits in nicely.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby WeHuntKings » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:59 pm

On bass I currently have the bass maxed out, mids at about half way, and treble just past halfway. I like a wooly bass sound, it works very well in my three piece. Preamp volume is below halfway and the master volume is pretty high. I let my dirt and fuzz pedals push the preamp for me when needed.

Guitar eq changes by the day, but generally I go for a flat eq.
WeHuntKings

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby fishtankdork » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:50 pm

well i used to be a bass player tll about 10 years ago, and i switched guitar. saying that; bass is cranked, mids is 6, trebs is 5. depending on amp mids and trebs flip flop. i usually use my neck pickup too. i just like the deep bluesy sound on my cleans. plus fuzz sounds best bassy w/ neck pu's :)
-----------So LoNg AnD tHaNkS fOr AlL tHe FiSh----------
fishtankdork

experienced
experienced

Postby kbit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:01 am

fishtankdork wrote:well i used to be a bass player tll about 10 years ago, and i switched guitar. saying that; bass is cranked, mids is 6, trebs is 5. depending on amp mids and trebs flip flop. i usually use my neck pickup too. i just like the deep bluesy sound on my cleans. plus fuzz sounds best bassy w/ neck pu's :)

Amen to that.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WeHuntKings » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:13 am

kbithecrowing wrote:
fishtankdork wrote:well i used to be a bass player tll about 10 years ago, and i switched guitar. saying that; bass is cranked, mids is 6, trebs is 5. depending on amp mids and trebs flip flop. i usually use my neck pickup too. i just like the deep bluesy sound on my cleans. plus fuzz sounds best bassy w/ neck pu's :)

Amen to that.

Yeah, ever since i switched back to single coils, I'd have to agree. Jaguar neck pickup into fz-2 is my new favorite tone.
WeHuntKings

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby charmander » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:35 pm

Channels jumped everything wide open on my Alamo.
The EQ doesn't really work that well, it just sounds best cranked.
charmander

interested
interested

Postby Andrew » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 am

Clean:
Reverb - 3
Treble - 6
Middle - 9
Bass - 6

Gain - 9
Treble - 8
Middle - 6
Bass - 7

I don't really have to fuck around with my amp that much and it sounds pretty good enough no matter the volume. I like my Gain beefy and my Cleans full. :)
Andrew

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bellyheart » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:40 am

Musicman HD130 2x12

Deep switch on, bright switch off, bass 6, mids 7, treble 6
Bellyheart

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:00 am

bigchiefbc wrote:I worry that one day I'll play with a guitarist who's all about mids and I'll have to change my EQ again and everything will sound wrong and I'll hate it.

Wouldn't worry about it. I saw Anata live and when they were setting up the bassist told the sound guy to crank the mids and take it easy on everything else. The guitars were fat, modern metal sounding and the overall sound was great.

I also find there is a big difference in which mids you crank - as a guitarist I like low mids around 400hz and our bassist used to get a nice growl around 600hz and the sounds worked well together.

Mids FTW!
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Previous

Return to General Gear