I want a Science Amplifier

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: I want a Science Amplifier

Postby waltdogg » Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Takes pedals very well. I leave mine set a bit more clean and rely on an old OCD for dirt. I can hear my delay and reverb very clearly. The Hellhawk has a lot of low end too.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:34 am

zeravla wrote:
whoismarykelly wrote:The Mother has a LOT of low end but a Street Sweeper is really a total opposite amp. If a lot of low end is important to you Alex can probably make an adjustment or to to make a Street Sweeper bass heavy. Just depends on how important the reverb is to you.

Thanks for the insight. I figured you'd have good input on this :)
I guess I really just need to chat with Alex about what I'm looking for and see what he suggests. Just hate to bother him.

waltdogg wrote:Just to come at you sideways I vote Hellhawk and it's not even the same amp it used to be.

On paper Hellhawk doesn't really fit my needs but every time I listen to those sound samples on the site I waver. How did you like it with pedals?

I don’t think you’d be bothering Alex. He is very enthusiastic about customer service and getting folks an amp they like.

Hellhawk takes pedals well but you’re always going to be a little dirty. If clean is important don’t get a hellhawk.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:53 pm

^ditto that. I thought I was bugging Alex with tons of questions, but when talking with him, I think he just wanted me to be happy with my amp choice. He is one of the more engaging people in the business and very giving of his time. and I still want an earthling, but my decolonizer is going nowhere.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby BoatRich » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm

I mostly run 800 style amps and have been considering saving for a Hellhawk, but the Earthling also seems really rad. Either way I think I’m selling my block letter 5150 to finally put a deposit on one of these guys
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:32 pm

Bought a real 2203 JMP. Decided the Hellhawk sounded better, raunchier but with a bit less max gain, and cleaned up in a nicer way.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby proceedeth » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:52 am

I'm contemplating the Earthling in a 50w 2 channel variant with an effects loop. I primarily like to play fuzz heavy stoner doom type stuff. Not too familiar with the other Science offerings but seems like a killer Amp. The other one I was looking at is the Hellhawk but I think I'm pretty sold on the Earthling! It'd be replacing an OR15. Has anyone had a chance to plug into one?
proceedeth

interested
interested

Postby waltdogg » Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:52 pm

The Hellhawk with the gain cranked and turned up gets nice and fuzzy and does the doom thing. The Mother also has tons of gain on tap but on a clean HiWatt-esq power amp, great if you are super high volume. But from what I can tell the Earthling is the holy grail for what you wanna do. Seeing as it's more or less based off the Matamp GT.

EDIT: Oh and for everyone else. A little birdie told me Alex is working on a "micro"/hybrid version of the Mother. Tube pre-amp. 700 watt solid state power amp. About the size of a MIG 50. I'm looking forward to this.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BoatRich » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 am

Does anyone have a 6l6 Hellhawk? How is it? I have a Peavey Butcher and I’m imagining it’s a better and lighter version of the same thing with a loop and switchable channels.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby waltdogg » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 am

BoatRich wrote:Does anyone have a 6l6 Hellhawk? How is it? I have a Peavey Butcher and I’m imagining it’s a better and lighter version of the same thing with a loop and switchable channels.

I share a lockout with Loma Prieta. They have 6L6s in their early generation Hellhawk. I can ask to compare to mine with EL34s if you want. Sean's a pretty nice dude.

For quick reference though I had a Butcher as well as a JMP over the course of the last year. And essentially they all sound like an SL/JCM but the Hellhawk is definitely the most "organic" sounding of the 3. I wouldn't say the EQ is tighter as it's the Super Bass tone stack not the SL/JCM tone stack, smoother or rounder is probably the right word. Ultimately I'd say The Butcher, VTM, MIG 100, and JMP/JCM800 are all far more aggressive and a bit sloppier than a Hellhawk. At least the early generation models I'm familiar with.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby odontophobia » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:05 am

waltdogg wrote:
BoatRich wrote:Does anyone have a 6l6 Hellhawk? How is it? I have a Peavey Butcher and I’m imagining it’s a better and lighter version of the same thing with a loop and switchable channels.

I share a lockout with Loma Prieta. They have 6L6s in their early generation Hellhawk. I can ask to compare to mine with EL34s if you want. Sean's a pretty nice dude.

For quick reference though I had a Butcher as well as a JMP over the course of the last year. And essentially they all sound like an SL/JCM but the Hellhawk is definitely the most "organic" sounding of the 3. I wouldn't say the EQ is tighter as it's the Super Bass tone stack not the SL/JCM tone stack, smoother or rounder is probably the right word. Ultimately I'd say The Butcher, VTM, MIG 100, and JMP/JCM800 are all far more aggressive and a bit sloppier than a Hellhawk. At least the early generation models I'm familiar with.

Sean is very tall.
I didn't really care for those new Loma tracks.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby waltdogg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:00 pm

He is.

Taste is subjective. At least they're doing something different.

waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Wed May 06, 2020 1:53 pm

Hello. I love my Science amp. That is all.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby oldangelmidnight » Thu May 07, 2020 11:27 am

Me too!
I got a Mother v3 when he offered the holiday sale last year. It's great.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby mathias » Thu May 07, 2020 11:32 am

I’d dig a Science take on a hybrid amp. The Quilters and Milkman The Amp are cool, but one of his preamps in front of a class D power amp would be rad if it had a lot of gain. Shiv v2 maybe, or some other highly-portable head?
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu May 07, 2020 12:01 pm

mathias wrote:I’d dig a Science take on a hybrid amp. The Quilters and Milkman The Amp are cool, but one of his preamps in front of a class D power amp would be rad if it had a lot of gain. Shiv v2 maybe, or some other highly-portable head?

I think there may be a class D mother in the works but I'm not positive.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear