bass advice, please

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: bass advice, please

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Ray would definitely be a whole different ball game as far as tone--they sound fucking awesome (In other people's hands, I make 'em sound shite).

You could also try to find the Epi Casady. The neck's a real bitch if you've got smaller hands, though.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Squier Telecaster bass might be a step in the direction without being too shockingly different. The one shaped like an actual Tele with mudbucker and J pickup in the bridge position. 32" scale. Don't know about tuning it down; I think Aen has one and might well know.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

MaxMaps wrote:If you live in portland you have a couple of amazing shops to try basses out.

Old Town Music - Hit or Miss depending on what walk through the store. But from time to time some really great pieces of wood drop on in. I picked up a Gibson G3 that I am in love with.

Trade up Music - This is a roll the dice type of shop, but you can find certain basses for a really damn good price. I saw a mint G&L SB2 for 850.00 with the case.

Apple Music - Limited to just a small corner on the wall but they carry newer stuff. Lots of G&L basses, and other cheep chinese models to be had from. Plus they have Rickenbockers in stock generally :love:

Or bite the bullet and take a day trip to Seattle and go to Bass NW. If you can't find something there then I don't know where you would. By far the most amazing store on the planet.

as far as a type of bass, that is so very dependent on the type of player you are and what fits you best. I love what G&L produces. Cheep on the after market and they sound really damn good.

i saw a really sweet ESP for 700 a while back at trade up on alberta. i wish that she had been in the market then. olde town and centaur guitar are probably my favorite two shops in town. trade up has become increasingly difficult to enjoy. never been to bass nw. never even heard of it. but i'm not really a bass player. seems worth checking out next time i'm in the northlands.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:11 pm

You should try to find a Grabber. It sounds kinda ideal.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby cheesecats » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:29 pm

misterstomach wrote:i'm not forcing anything. i think you have the wrong idea. a new bass is her idea. going full scale is her idea. we just like to talk gear and were talking about it together.

sorry about that--i misread. i would suggest upping the budget a bit and try to get a used ric. especially if she plays with a pick. action like butter and great definition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-rickenbacker-4003-Bass-AMAZING-TONE-/330953860139?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0e63242b
cheesecats

experienced
experienced

Postby MEC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I'd look at G&L for sure.
I have a Tribute L-2000 and there really isn't a tone that you can't get with it.

If she wants something a little less ordinary and a bit more classy check out the ASAT.

Last edited by MEC on Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby warwick.hoy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Try a new set of properly gauged strings.
behndy wrote:"huh. i'm on acid."

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:
Mecha Shiva on Soundcloud.

WHY DID JOHNNY KILL? on Bandcamp. <--Beer Fund

Good Dealings with: futuresailors, Eric!, Multi_S, hatshirt, leastwise, Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D
warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

warwick.hoy wrote:Try a new set of properly gauged strings.

why would you assume that she has the wrong strings on it?
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby warwick.hoy » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:24 pm

misterstomach wrote:

Whoa; Just trying to be helpful.

Best of luck.
behndy wrote:"huh. i'm on acid."

Noiseprov/Pedalcore:
Mecha Shiva on Soundcloud.

WHY DID JOHNNY KILL? on Bandcamp. <--Beer Fund

Good Dealings with: futuresailors, Eric!, Multi_S, hatshirt, leastwise, Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D
warwick.hoy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm

warwick.hoy wrote:
misterstomach wrote:

Best of luck.

sorry, maybe i'm a little jumpy. she's had the bass for years, tried lots of strings.
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm

misterstomach wrote:
warwick.hoy wrote:
misterstomach wrote:

Best of luck.

sorry, maybe i'm a little jumpy. she's had the bass for years, tried lots of strings.

I'm pretty sure W.Hoy was just trying to say that a thicker gauge will add tension, allowing for lower tunings with less flop and would sound a less muddy. It would pretty much be mandatory if you were drop tuning a short scale IMO.

Also I'm a huge fan of Warwick basses too. Even if you get a Warwick Rockbass, I feel like you get WAY more bass for the buck than if you buy a Fender or a Gibson. I have a basic Rockbass Corvette, which is essentially the cheapest you can get, and I like it better than a lot of American Fenders I've played. I believe you could get a decent Pro Series Warwick for around the 1K price point too. I really love the looks of the Double Bucks ($$):
Warwick Streamer $$.jpg
Warwick Streamer $$.jpg (7.14 KiB) Viewed 292 times
:drool:
That being said I don't know the first thing about "heavy black metal that meanders over to slow doom", I play mainly alt to heavy rock in standard tunings, but c'mon that thing could play anything.

EDIT: Looking at the price sheet on their website it doesn't look like they have any basses around the 1K point but there's one in my local shop for $1200... :idk:
Last edited by MrNovember on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby Deltaphoenix » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:43 pm

There are strings that are even tension sets that can help with clarity/punch.

I'd suggest a used Dingwall Combustion for around a grand but going from small scale to that is probably a huge leap.
behndy wrote:i want to have dirty sex with each and every mod here. in their poopcunt. while squirls shoot out of my dick and tinier squirrels shoot out of THEIR dicks in an Escher-esque recursive love filth pile.

My Band: http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/capturetherapture

My Solo Electronic Stuff:http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/deltaphoenix
Deltaphoenix

Supporter
Supporter

Postby excane » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 pm

MEC wrote:I'd look at G&L for sure.
I have a Tribute L-2000 and there really isn't a tone that you can't get with it.

+100 to both of these suggestions.

I miss my USA L2000 :cry:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby vrom » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:14 am

+1 on a Warwick Streamer. You can get a used one for a bit over 1K. Check the Warwick forum for good deals. Good peeps over there too.

A Warwick Thumb BO bass is the way to go if you want uber clarity (I know from direct experience). Definitely the most articulate bass I've ever played, heard, heard of, etc... but many don't like the way it hangs, quite flat. But if she's used to a Gibson, it wont be a big change.

Warwick Streamer Stage II is my vote. A double buck may not get as 'clear' as a Stage II, but I haven't fully compared the two, just my $.02 knowledge of $$ pickups verses J pickups. A used Streamer Stage I won't disappoint either I'm sure.

IMHO, Warwick=METAL. Hope that helps!
vlad5 (TB) | ahab3 (TGP)
Warwick Thumb 5 bo | Mesa M9 Carbine | Mesa PH210 | DR Drop Down Tuning | EFFECTS!!
vrom

committed
committed

Postby ChetMagongalo » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:57 am

since you play in B don't you need a 5 string? or were you gonna tune BEAD? I agree with donny about the grabber, that bass just has a killer sound for RAWK. I used to be really big on ernie's balls basses but I find that they just don't sound very good in a mix. this is from personal experience and from seeing lots of bands. I agree that you should def find something with a pickup near the bridge. get some mids in there too. I feel like G&L might be a good contender? I feel like Warwicks sound weird a lot of the time but I've heard them work too. this is all very subjective of course.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear