Univox U 250 Uni-fuzz question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Univox U 250 Uni-fuzz question

Postby JT23 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi, I scored me a Univox U 250 Uni-fuzz (aka Sam Ash Fuzzola). See http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/univox/unifuzz

Mine is the grey version. It has an on/ off switch, but also a slot for "cancel." As far as I've gathered, it originally came with a small little side pedal that went in the "cancel" slot & acted kinda like a kill switch.

If anyone has further info, please post. I can't find anything anywhere & the user manual is just 1 pg.

If anyone has the old side pedal that went into the "cancel" slot, PM me as I'd love to have all original parts.

Finally, if anyone knows what type of pedal can work in the "cancel" slot, please post, and PM me if you have one to sell.

Thanks everyone! I really dig this pedal & it always kinda gets lost in all the other Superfuzz chatter...
JT23

interested
interested

Re: Univox U 250 Uni-fuzz question

Postby Jero » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:56 pm

It'd be really easy to make one.

Actually, do you happen to have a pedal for effects/channels for an amp? Bet it'll work.
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JT23 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:36 am

Could you please explain why it would be so easy & what type of pedal is needed for my specific situation? I know just in the handful of amps I've had over the years, there's been a wide array of cables for effects / channel switching (Stereo v. Mono etc.). And since the Uni-fuzz is a piece of vintage gear in great shape, I do not want to experiment on it. Thanks for your help!
JT23

interested
interested

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:03 am

Use a mono one. When you plug/unplug from the cancel jack you are opening/closing a connection. If you add a switch to the male plug of a cable, it'll make/break the same connection, but you can keep the cable plugged in. A simple spst switch would do the trick, but you could use a dpdt if you wanted an led.

If you need a diagram for building one I can draw it tomorrow.

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:09 am

JT23 wrote:And since the Uni-fuzz is a piece of vintage gear in great shape, I do not want to experiment on it.

You're not going to break it with a switch... Listen to Jero, he knows things about things and stuff... :thumb:
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JT23 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks, everyone. I'm no gearhead. I'm more into the sounds I can create, than the mechanics. At this point, I can't make anything that I'd feel comfortable using. Can you please point me in the direction of someone who can? Thanks again!
JT23

interested
interested

Postby jrmy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:23 am

There's bunches of people in the DIY section who could build you one. Or check the Shark Tank, under B/S/T - they're all builders, and might be willing to take a little job like that on.

Off the top of my head, ILFers Skullservant, Officer Bukowski, Jero and McSpunckle have all done great DIY work, but there's plenty more folks to be found here who could as well.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JT23 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Oh, ok, thanks, I guess that I'm "taking bids" - PM if yr interested in the gig - for now (still holding out hope someone has that original side pedal). Then, I'll go by the references and find someone myself. Thanks again, ILFerz!
JT23

interested
interested

Postby sonidero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:25 pm

Just contact Jero...

See the middle jack in the pic, that's the Cancel... It's just opening/closing a connection like Jero said, any kind of foot switch would work... You can even have it made into whatever kind of enclosure you want...

"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jero » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:49 pm

Lots of folks already offer these, and they're about the same price that I'd charge. Probably better getting it from those other guys since they already have 'em made.

Google mono amp switch, or mono latching switch. Here's one example...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Foo ... 257f7f6419

Best of luck finding an original though, that would be so cool!

Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear