Pedals vs Songwriting

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Pedals vs Songwriting

Postby MEC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:51 pm

npfrs wrote:
Greenfuz wrote:are we talking about just coming up with riffs or like writing words?
for words I like to go get a coffee and put some whiskey in it and then go for walks and write stuff on my phone

For me, I'm talking about writing actual songs - words and music.
I can't speak for everyone else.

This makes a BIG difference.
I don't/can't sing so I rarely write music with lyrics in mind.
That being said, the dude that sings in the band never seems to have trouble finding room in my songs for words.

Also, "actual songs" can be written without words.
Just ask any dude with a powdered wig and a piano.
You could also ask Dylan Carlson.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby GardenoftheDead » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:13 am

lyrics are for people who can sing/know someone who can sing that isn't a douche filled with lighter fluid.
GardenoftheDead

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AngryGoldfish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:38 pm

I write lyrics and although I love to sing, can't do it very well.
Catalinbread⁞⁞Earthquaker Devices⁞⁞Strymon⁞⁞Smallsound/Bigsound
Iron Ether⁞⁞Black Arts Toneworks⁞⁞Dr. Scientist⁞⁞Fairfield Circuitry
Tom Anderson⁞⁞Ibanez⁞⁞Guild⁞⁞Gretsch⁞⁞Fryette⁞⁞Audio Kitchen

Doom Room - type fast, riff slow
AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm

AngryGoldfish wrote:I write lyrics and although I love to sing, can't do it very well.

Yeah this is me as well. :( It would be nice if I was in a band where I could just sing backing or not at all, but since I'm not I feel like I've got to sing my own stuff.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby AngryGoldfish » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Like everyone I really wish I could sing. For me it would make my life as a musician a hell of a lot easier. I can sing and play at the same time, I can write music, I can play guitar and can put my mind and talents to other instruments, I can perform, etc. etc. But I can't sing. First world problems.

AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:57 pm

For me, without pedals I would have possibly stopped playing a while ago. If find that personally with so many textures to mess around with it makes you want to pick up and play more. Even if its goofing off its time invested in music rather than doing something else.

Good is only a matter of perception
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Just get lessons. Seriously. It's expensive but awesome. You don't need that many to give you a springboard that you can develop yourself. Then just have a crack :)
I started singing about 10 years ago and now my singing is a lot stronger than my guitar skills, which was for me unthinkable when I started singing.

Pedals are a part of my musical identity and inseparable from songwriting. Writing a tune on an acoustic is the same for me as a composer writing a symphony - I'm writing with one medium but thinking for sounds in another medium. Instead of strings and timpani and stuff it's fuzz and filters and flangers.

No-one would suggest a good symphony should be able to be performed on one piano, I extend the same logic to pedals. And now that I think of it, all music.

Wow. Revelation.
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby dubkitty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:56 pm

given the number of people out there vocalizing who have awful voices, you might as well go for it. as long as you stay relatively on-pitch you can't possibly be worse than John Cale or Krist Novoselic.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby rfurtkamp » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:15 am

I can be worse than either. So I rarely do it!

But I don't really write music that needs it.

Don't "need" pedals either, but I like where they take me.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:15 am

dubkitty wrote:given the number of people out there vocalizing who have awful voices, you might as well go for it. as long as you stay relatively on-pitch you can't possibly be worse than John Cale or Krist Novoselic.

Yeah, listening to bands I like with bad singers makes me feel better about it.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Glenouille » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:21 am

The thing is the idea for a new tune could come from anywhere.

If I'm messing around (or playing, or purposely trying to come up with a tune) with instruments in an acoustic/unplugged fashion. I might add some additional layers/voicings at a later stage. I generally think of the combination instrument + effect as another instrument in its own right (quite close to what Goroth was describing).

If I'm messing around with pedals, I might stumble across a sound, a sonic cocktail, a winning combination of several effects that inspires me to elaborate further and build upon it.

Sometimes, pedals are not necessary, bold and simple also works; I have a traditional music background and often less is more in this genre.
I don't feel pressured to add tracks full of effects or compelled to press footswitches because I have pedals all over the room floor and in every drawer. A few subtle things can also go a long way by giving some extra depth, colour, air, space... it can help to emphasize the mood, the theme, etc.
Glenouille

committed
committed

Postby AngryGoldfish » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:41 pm

goroth wrote:Just get lessons. Seriously. It's expensive but awesome. You don't need that many to give you a springboard that you can develop yourself. Then just have a crack :)
I started singing about 10 years ago and now my singing is a lot stronger than my guitar skills, which was for me unthinkable when I started singing.

Pedals are a part of my musical identity and inseparable from songwriting. Writing a tune on an acoustic is the same for me as a composer writing a symphony - I'm writing with one medium but thinking for sounds in another medium. Instead of strings and timpani and stuff it's fuzz and filters and flangers.

No-one would suggest a good symphony should be able to be performed on one piano, I extend the same logic to pedals. And now that I think of it, all music.

Wow. Revelation.

I dig your comment on writing with pedals.

And as far as singing lessons, I could consider it, yeah. I don't have a terrible voice as it stands. It's just not enough to gig or record with.

AngryGoldfish

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby goroth » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:19 am

Go for it AG. Another thing that helped was grabbing some CDs and heading down to the rehearsal room and singing through them. Had a couple of favourites I sang at least once a week for a couple of years. It's a lot easier to develop when you can sing as loud or softly as you want, with whatever technique you want with no one else able to hear.

</hijack>
ALLisNOISE wrote:you can dial in some wonderfully smeared 12bit cascades of cicadas leveling a hail of rockets against an army of rusty box fans!

Latest album out on all streaming services and bandcamp and what not.
Spotify /// Apple Music
My band /// Instagram ///Bandcamp ///
goroth

HERO
HERO

Postby Genghis Kanye » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:36 am

And as far as singing lessons, I could consider it, yeah. I don't have a terrible voice as it stands. It's just not enough to gig or record with.

If it's not terrible then it is good enough to gig with. For real. How many good bands have you seen with a mediocre singer? Just thrash it out, you'll get better.
Genghis Kanye

committed
committed

Postby npfrs » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:07 am

Genghis Kanye wrote:

If it's not terrible then it is good enough to gig with. For real. How many good bands have you seen with a mediocre singer? Just thrash it out, you'll get better.

I'll attest to that!
npfrs

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear