Verellen owners club.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Verellen owners club.

Postby Jwar » Wed May 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:
Adelbatross wrote:Update: Apparently things are pretty crazy in Verellen land at the moment. Made my order and payment on March 25, but the amp isn't going to be ready now until the week of July 13. I was under the impression this would be an 8 week job which has now turned into 16 weeks to basically build a standard Loucks but add reverb. Can't say I'm pleased, I mean Ben has been good to deal with up to this point, but it would have been nice if he let me know this ahead of time. I get he's a small business, but that's no excuse for setting the wrong expectations with customers. Personally, to me this is why small businesses go out of business, by not taking care of their customers.

It didn't put EGC out of business when they would promise 4-6 month ETA's and then deliver the guitars 3-4 years later.

NO but it's still shit business practices.

I'm waiting on a pedal from someone going on 3 months now, not Verellen and it fucking pisses me off so bad I'm about to open a god damn dispute. If you're going to be late, you have to communicate with your customers.

Or put up an update on your facebook. Something is better than nothing.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Adelbatross » Wed May 13, 2015 11:03 pm

I certainly don't want the guy to go out of business, in fact I want Verellen to be the next Marshall. It was just a bit of a poor communication issue on completion of it. I'm still really stoked to get it and I think it will be awesome, just these kinds of things I think can be mostly avoided with good communication. Ben is a solid dude, and he's been good to deal with, but this delay kinda soured things a bit for me. Just a simple outline saying changes can be made until this date, completion by this date, you can ask for anything in the meantime but no promises, and if it's going to go over the deadline you'll be the first to be notified.

He's got a sweet band too, and it's great they tour, but as a customer I'm not to be expected to know how his business works in that he's the only one who actually builds them.

Anyway, as I told Ben onwards and upwards and I'm still really excited for it. I would gladly recommend Verellen to anyone and I've been doing just that. Ben deserves good business, but like any business on the planet there's things he could do better, and the businesses that listen to customers last a long long time.
Fuzz. Fuzzz. Fuzzzz. Fuzzzzz. Fuzzzzzz.
Adelbatross

involved
involved

Postby HAVN » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Since it seems so many demo videos of these are missing big reverberation (which is one of my staples), I finally put a couple of videos online of mine. This was before we went to the studio while I was trying to iron out my EQ and transitions between parts.

Most was also played in the clean channel, which shows just how responsive/dynamic this thing is depending on how you attack the strings.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby Adelbatross » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:58 am

Verellen amp owners - just wondering what the wait time was for you guys from the time you made payment to the time your amp was built and shipped. Waiting on an update from Ben but it's now been 17 weeks and counting and honestly getting a bit fed up with the whole thing.
Adelbatross

involved
involved

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:17 am

Have you tried calling him at his shop? Number is somewhere on the website IIRC.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Adelbatross » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:21 am

I live in Australia so with the time difference it can be a little tricky trying to get him during regular business hours.

Either way my issue is that it seems to be taking quite a bit of time, and wanted to get some feedback from others on what their wait times were like. Just curious if this is normal with Verellen.
Adelbatross

involved
involved

Postby skullservant » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:47 am

When I had a cab built with him a few years ago it took longer than expected, and I had to send a few emails. But he's always taken care of me when I had questions, always answered them well etc. He had a bit of a wait a few years ago so I can only imagine that it has increased a bit as more and more Verellens have been made and people are more aware.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Glad to see such an active Verellen club on here! Here's my Skyhammer. About a year old now. Still in love.

Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby HAVN » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:02 pm

^^ I really like the basket weave on your cab. Nice half stack.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby Adelbatross » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 am

The wait is finally over! Got my Loucks in today and so far it sounds killer!! Haven't had a ton of time to play it and really open it up, but it's just what I was hoping for so far. More of a review to come later once I get it into the practice space and crank it up.

I went with the Loucks with tube driven spring reverb.
Attachments
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
FullSizeRender (7).jpg (100.95 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Adelbatross

involved
involved

Postby HAVN » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Congrats, dude.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby HAVN » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:30 pm

How's the reverb?
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby Adelbatross » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 am

Depends I guess on what you're looking for. The reverb is not overly versatile, so it either goes from non-existent to completely cavernous. I also have a Deluxe Reverb and going from 1-2 on the Loucks is like going from 1-10 on the DRRI. That's not necessarily a band thing, the sound it does get is pretty awesome, it has this eerie, dark sound to it but it's not the type of reverb you can just add a bit to taste, it's full on or nothing.
Last edited by Adelbatross on Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Adelbatross

involved
involved

Postby xrleroyx » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:16 am

Adelbatross wrote:Depends I guess on what you're looking for. The reverb is not overly versatile, so it either goes from non-existent to completely cavernous. I also have a Deluxe Reverb and going from 1-2 on the Loucks is like going from 1-10 on the DRRI. That's not necessarily a band thing, the sound it does get is pretty awesome, it has this eerie, dark sound to it but it's not the type of reverb you can just add a bit to taste, it's full on or nothing.

Now that I've had some time to play it a bit, I gotta say the more time spent with it the less I like this amp. Maybe it's a case of waiting so long I over hyped myself, or I just got a lemon or something, but this amp hums quite a bit, way more than other 100 watters I've used in the past. The footswitch it came with for reverb/gain was completely useless. Tried 2 brand new TRS cables for the switch it and it still doesn't work. The amp didn't even come with a power cable or a cable for the footswitch either, which was just a pain to find out the day I got it.

I was also not overly happy with the look of the amp. I've seen heaps of gorgeous amps come from Verellen, but mine's got this weird knot thing on the right side of the face. Every time I look at the amp all I can see is that hideous knot. It's like someone scribbled on it or something. I just look at it and wonder how it got off the floor and why out of all the amps I've seen from Verellen, I got that thing. I was so excited to get it before that I posted a bunch of pictures, but if I'm being honest I think it looks like crap.

Anyway, I've harassed Ben enough, I don't I'll ever get anywhere with him so I'll cut my losses at this point. I'd never buy a Verellen again, and wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I was at this guitar fest thing they had in town (Melbourne's answer to NAMM) and played a couple 100 watt amps from local builders there. Every single one of those amps blew the Loucks out of the water. Little to no hum, more versatile reverb, and no ugly knot thing on the face. I realise this is all 1st world problems, and I'm not saying the Loucks is an awful amp or something, but hindsight being what it is I would have gone with something else if I could do it all over again.

That's super disappointing. I loved my Skyhammer, but it was a noisy amp. How do you like the sound of it in general though? What would you compare it with? I've heard people syaing HIWATT or Marshall, but I'm curious on what you think.

If you ever decide to get rid of it, PM me. I won't have the money right now, but in a few months I should.
Olin wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:This Corgan guy sounds like a real soy boy to me...

Someone please send this to Billy every day until all his pent-up rage erupts, his head turns to actual chrome and he engages his final form: Ultimo-Corgon, where he finally starts to hate fuck every skyscraper in Japan demanding an explanation, weeping tears of mercury down on the innocent bystanders below while proclaiming to be the greatest musician of all time, including the future.
xrleroyx

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chillerthanmost » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Fucking ey, I forgot about this thread. Here's my oober cute 30w custom Verellen:

Still haven't had a chance to open it up and find out exactly what it's based off. It's got tons of low end and naughty mids. Three band EQ and a volume. 4x EL84 with two 12AX7's and a rectifier tube. Kind of a mix between a vintage Hiwatt and Vox sound. It's loud as fuck too for a little guy. Been playing it simultaneously with my YBA1A.
chillerthanmost

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear