Verellen owners club.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Verellen owners club.

Postby Jwar » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:49 pm

God I want a Meatsmoke amp so fucking bad. UGH.

Didn't someone here get Ben to make a Meatsmoke combo? Or am I dreaming?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Moustache_Bash » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:24 pm

Did his prices go up again? I don''t remember those heads being 2K+ :eek:
Moustache_Bash

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby blahquaker » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:35 pm

Moustache_Bash wrote:Did his prices go up again? I don''t remember those heads being 2K+ :eek:

the prices on the site are the same as they've been for at least a couple of years. (see this)
blahquaker

committed
committed

Postby patdcp » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:47 am

Holy Schnikes wrote:
patdcp wrote:Skyhammer users! How do you like your Dirt Channel?

I love the clean channel of that thing. Best clean tone i´ve ever had (and i had many amps, also Fenders). But i´m still messing with the Distorted tone. I don´t get it tight, and there´s to much buzz...Sounds actually good, but not what i expected, since everyone is talking about the "tight" tone of this channel.

I had a Loucks awhile back with gain modded to Skyhamner specs. This was done to get it tighter than the Loucks which can run pretty loose but I still couldn't get it super tight. And the buzz was a problem too, couldn't dial it out. Just a very unique high gain sound.

Sold that Loucks and got a 4xKT88 Science Decolonizer which does everything I've ever wanted in a 2-channel amp. Gorgeous cleans, amazing OD mode, and super versatile high gain that will get as mean and tight as needed.

How close are Skyhammer and Loucks...or what are the differences?
patdcp

interested
interested

Postby Holy Schnikes » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:23 am

patdcp wrote:
Holy Schnikes wrote:
patdcp wrote:Skyhammer users! How do you like your Dirt Channel?

I love the clean channel of that thing. Best clean tone i´ve ever had (and i had many amps, also Fenders). But i´m still messing with the Distorted tone. I don´t get it tight, and there´s to much buzz...Sounds actually good, but not what i expected, since everyone is talking about the "tight" tone of this channel.

I had a Loucks awhile back with gain modded to Skyhamner specs. This was done to get it tighter than the Loucks which can run pretty loose but I still couldn't get it super tight. And the buzz was a problem too, couldn't dial it out. Just a very unique high gain sound.

Sold that Loucks and got a 4xKT88 Science Decolonizer which does everything I've ever wanted in a 2-channel amp. Gorgeous cleans, amazing OD mode, and super versatile high gain that will get as mean and tight as needed.

How close are Skyhammer and Loucks...or what are the differences?

Loucks is single channel with footswitchable boost/gain stage as opposed to the 2-channel Skyhammer. With standard specs it won't go as high gain as the Skyhammer either.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby patdcp » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:22 am

Ok, so the Loucks OD is some mid gain thing?!?
patdcp

interested
interested

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:16 pm

It will get real close to high gain if you max the OD control but the volume boost compared to the clean setting was pretty unusable. I think Ben added an OD master volume to fix that since. It's more of a loose vintage voice than the Skyhammer too. Honestly, I ran the Loucks pretty low gain usually and hit it with pedals to bring the fury.
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby patdcp » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:13 am

Holy Schnikes wrote:It will get real close to high gain if you max the OD control but the volume boost compared to the clean setting was pretty unusable. I think Ben added an OD master volume to fix that since. It's more of a loose vintage voice than the Skyhammer too. Honestly, I ran the Loucks pretty low gain usually and hit it with pedals to bring the fury.

Ok,thanks...
I´d love to hear a skyhammer and loucks side by side. People on forums are praising the loucks dirt tone but are criticizing the Skyhammer dirt for being "too much"...i wonder if the two are totally different in their gain characteristics, or is it just "very similar , SH has just tighter lows and more gain".

ah,and: i swapped the stock jj pre in v1 for a tungsol reissue...sounds much better,more clarity and punch...and i turned down the treble a lot and cranked the presence...less buzz now
patdcp

interested
interested

Postby HAVN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:49 am

Hi, all.

Been lurking a little bit, thought I'd share some photos of my rig.

The Verellen is no. 456 -- two channels, each with its own master volume. Clean channel can get a little dirty and still be slightly quieter than the gain channel. Gain channel also has an additional switch for a bit of extra that takes it into crazy territory. I've been thinking about getting in touch with Ben to have him modify it because I find that it's kind of difficult to use with the gain past about 10 o'clock. Two EL34s in the power section.

I also have a matching oversized Emperor 2x12" in red mahogany and a 1996 all-original Matchless ES412 in museum condition (never been gigged with).

The Emperor is very nice, but I'm really interested in one of those Dictator 1x12", 1x15"s: http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/dictator-cabs-guitar-cabinet-1x12-1x15-white-w-salt-and-pepper-grille, in red mahogany to match. Or maybe one of the Janice 4x12"s: http://www.janicecabs.com/product/4x12-guitar/4x12-guitar-cab/. Evidently Dictator is one of the former Emperor guys, still made here in Chicago; Janice is also somewhat new and based just outside Chicago in Valparaiso, IN. Also have an idea for a cab that I may go back to Verellen with -- we'll see.

If I do keep the Emperor I'm going to try to touch up the front at the bottom as there are some scratches. I may also try to change the grille color and put some casters on it. It's only slightly smaller than my 4x12".
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby mpsa01 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Beautiful Verellen there! In fact, scarily similar in appearance to my Model V that I got at the start of the year. Same small headshell, same colour too. Awesome.
glasscitynoise.bandcamp.com

Edinburgh, UK post-hardcore/ambient
mpsa01

involved
involved

Postby HAVN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:53 pm

mpsa01 wrote:Beautiful Verellen there! In fact, scarily similar in appearance to my Model V that I got at the start of the year. Same small headshell, same colour too. Awesome.

Many thanks! I see yours higher up in the thread -- looks great. Did you get the cut outs in the side? What number are you?
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Verellen + Emperor. I like you.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby HAVN » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:03 pm

Disarm D'arcy wrote:Verellen + Emperor. I like you.

That seems to be the combination in the genre. Though has anyone seen the Dictator cabs? They're pretty rad lookin'.

Courte histoire à te raconter : y'a trois ans je travaillais pour une boîte qui a son siège ici à Chicago, ils avaient établi une sorte de partenariat avec Jimmy Chamblerin, qui a signé ma copie de Siamese Dream.
HAVN

committed
committed

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:13 pm

HAVN wrote:Courte histoire à te raconter : y'a trois ans je travaillais pour une boîte qui a son siège ici à Chicago, ils avaient établi une sorte de partenariat avec Jimmy Chamblerin, qui a signé ma copie de Siamese Dream.

Forget what I said, I don't like you.
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby mpsa01 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:32 am

HAVN wrote:
mpsa01 wrote:Beautiful Verellen there! In fact, scarily similar in appearance to my Model V that I got at the start of the year. Same small headshell, same colour too. Awesome.

Many thanks! I see yours higher up in the thread -- looks great. Did you get the cut outs in the side? What number are you?

I did not get the side cut outs. Wish I had now. If/when I order another head, I'll make sure that happens! I think mine is 338. I am at work and can't quite remember!
glasscitynoise.bandcamp.com

Edinburgh, UK post-hardcore/ambient
mpsa01

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear