Power Supplies.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Power Supplies.

Postby nightterrors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Alright... so power supplies...

do any of you get really picky with them?

I bought a Voodoo Labs PP2+ a while back and didn't even think about it, just was like "I need to power pedals, this should do it."
and didn't think about what needed to power my pedals properly etc...

I don't have any issues with it, I'm currently only running 5 pedals... but my ideas for what pedals I want have changed since my original pedalboard layout so I'm thinking I need a power supply with more outputs... I'm definitely anticipating to run around 6 more pedals.

I was thinking the CIOKS DC10 immediately... then I read it was only 8 isolated outputs, which my PP2 has, and the other 2 outputs on the DC10 aren't isolated, and from what I've read I could run into noise issues if they're not isolated.

I was told to check out the MONDO PP , and the CIOKLATE.

I don't really know where to go from there... two of my pedals are discontinued and it's impossible to get ahold of the guy to ask him what output I should run them in. I'm aware of the others though.

Help meeeeeeeeee buddiezzzzz :hello:
Good Dealings With: jumbo_steelie(x2), Demon666, foomanfat, Ryan, Skullservant, new05002(x3), WeHuntKings, edkoppel, monkeydancer, smalltownsongs, transients, weed_killer, superfuzz_bigmuff, multi_s, kosta, pez.period, juggernaut, craig0101, LazerViking, indianDYsummer, Muff_Diver, jrmy, cantremember, dangergirlstarship, pjrjazz, amorphous, CrazyDroneDream, spburns, DannDubbleEwe
nightterrors

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Power Supplies.

Postby Tristan » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:49 pm

It also depends on your pedalboard.
If you can place power supplies under it you could opt for a second power supply that has a bit more current than the Pedal Power for extra flexibility.
I'm thinking about one of those newer smaller high current Voodoo Lab ones or maybe a CIOKS DC8 or something, also a Burkey Six could be exactly what you are looking for.
Which pedals do you want to power by the way?
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby nightterrors » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Running two power supplies would kind of make it more complicated because my pedalboard has the power supply mounted underneath and the power cord plugs from the pedal supply into my board, and an IEC cable from my board goes into the wall or power bar and the pedalboard/power supply itself is turned on by a switch on the side of the pedalboard. I can only do that for one power supply.
I should have specified that, sorry haha.

the two pedals I'm unsure about are the Monolith Loudspeakers Tectonic Shift (dual fuzz) and the Monolith Loudspeakers Lodestone (fuzz) they both are 9V DC. I mean, they work fine and sound good, but they do get a little noisy at times (hum when you stop playing).. but I always figured it was just because they're fuzz pedals, or I was wondering if I'm not running them in the right outputs on the PP2, would that cause any noise interference? I mean, it's not unbearable, I'm probably just getting picky, and once I get a bypass strip I can just turn off both sides of the pedal at once and it wouldn't bother me. I really just need more outputs.
Good Dealings With: jumbo_steelie(x2), Demon666, foomanfat, Ryan, Skullservant, new05002(x3), WeHuntKings, edkoppel, monkeydancer, smalltownsongs, transients, weed_killer, superfuzz_bigmuff, multi_s, kosta, pez.period, juggernaut, craig0101, LazerViking, indianDYsummer, Muff_Diver, jrmy, cantremember, dangergirlstarship, pjrjazz, amorphous, CrazyDroneDream, spburns, DannDubbleEwe
nightterrors

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby misterstomach » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Fuzz pedals don't draw much power. You're fine on the lower output taps. I've also found that with an 8 tap power supply, you can often daisy chain here and there as needed to get more pedals on there. Some pedals get along just fine being daisy chained together. Others don't like it or want to be alone. As long as you find the right combinations, you can make a lot more efficient use of your pp2. Like, you're totally fine chaining your tuner with something. My board has my ab/y, tuner, and tb looper on one tap cause they hardly use power, don't do much and get along fine. Most dirt boxes are pretty low consumption and as long as you try out different combos you can usually find something they get along with. It's really not usually necessary to spend the money to have a dedicated tap for each and every single pedal. I think it makes more sense to use isolated power to just make sure you avoid toxic combinations.
ryan summit wrote:Damn these fuckin bullshit techherpes
misterstomach

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby osbornkt » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:42 pm

misterstomach wrote:Fuzz pedals don't draw much power. You're fine on the lower output taps. I've also found that with an 8 tap power supply, you can often daisy chain here and there as needed to get more pedals on there. Some pedals get along just fine being daisy chained together. Others don't like it or want to be alone. As long as you find the right combinations, you can make a lot more efficient use of your pp2. Like, you're totally fine chaining your tuner with something. My board has my ab/y, tuner, and tb looper on one tap cause they hardly use power, don't do much and get along fine. Most dirt boxes are pretty low consumption and as long as you try out different combos you can usually find something they get along with. It's really not usually necessary to spend the money to have a dedicated tap for each and every single pedal. I think it makes more sense to use isolated power to just make sure you avoid toxic combinations.

This is really great stuff, here.
Ultimately, just be wary of how much mA draw your pedals have, and make sure you're not exceeding what one tap can provide if you're going to daisy chain some stuff.
I'm running 14 pedals off a BBE Supacharger and I don't have any unwanted power noise.
So as long as you aren't running any Strymon stuff/wacky delays with excessive mA draw, you should be peachy using the PP2+
Happy Dealings with: julius_deane, HeavyXIII, RobFossil, letsgocoyote, darkfields, colin, MEC, sanfordandsonny, delaydecay, aedes, leastwise, foomanfat...

http://gnatcatcherband.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/gnatcatcherband
osbornkt

experienced
experienced

Postby hollowhero » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:08 am

misterstomach wrote:Some pedals get along just fine being daisy chained together. Others don't like it or want to be alone. As long as you find the right combinations, you can make a lot more efficient use of your pp2. ...It's really not usually necessary to spend the money to have a dedicated tap for each and every single pedal. I think it makes more sense to use isolated power to just make sure you avoid toxic combinations.

+1

For some reason people think that every pedal needs its own output. Daisy chain away, but be wary of digital pedals and ones with LFOs and timing circuits
hollowhero

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby htsamurai » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 am

I took out a second mortgage so I could buy a dumble and retrofit it to work as a power supply for my klon.
my spider 4 never sounded so good
bnet: htsamurai#1534
instagram: lastoneawake

stanimal wrote:Ummm yeah, didn't realize we loved HT that much
htsamurai

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:41 am

I currently own 3 power supplies; Cioks AC10, Voodoo Labs PP2+ and Effectrode Atomic.
1 has been listed in the B/S/T this past week although after reconsideration I'm going to hang onto it for a while longer...

I need the courtesy outlet of the PP2+ for my vintage DMM. And I like to use an output w/sag to dim the bright leds on the TB loop I use with [DMM].
E600B needs an isolated, regulated 200mA and the Spring Chicken will hum unless it gets similar treatment.

Got the AC10 with intention of getting a DM-2 that didn't materialize (still looking for an MN3005 for around $200), but have been using it to feed 15V to a Tremolessence from a single outlet. Tremolessence also likes to have 200mA (or more) otherwise I hear some bleed from the LFO's carrier freq in the noise floor. With the right power it's gone.

Also have plans to get a Pigtronix Infinity looper and will need to combine 9V banks with plenty of current to give the 18V it needs.

As for The Atomic...its 4 isolated banks run@ 12V/1250mA and one can be converted to 9V/1250 for use with a daisy chained to power, say...a full 9V Boss Board.
I have 3 Effectrode pedals and want others...they rule...but the ones based around miniature tubes require 12V and just over 1amp when warming up.

So I have yet to find a single psu that can handle all that. Does it exist?
And I dont even know if I want it in a single unit anyway...More PSUs = more pedal chains for more instruments in different rigs :idea:
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby rustywire » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:45 am

hollowhero wrote:
misterstomach wrote:Some pedals get along just fine being daisy chained together. Others don't like it or want to be alone. As long as you find the right combinations, you can make a lot more efficient use of your pp2. ...It's really not usually necessary to spend the money to have a dedicated tap for each and every single pedal. I think it makes more sense to use isolated power to just make sure you avoid toxic combinations.

+1

For some reason people think that every pedal needs its own output. Daisy chain away, but be wary of digital pedals and ones with LFOs and timing circuits

This is good advice. Just don't use unregulated power supplies when a pedal specifies a regulated psu.
[B/S/T shoutouts] Shortlist: Hollow Earth|Ct5|856|Condor|Thermae|OP-1|half track reel2reel|Prophet6 ... :whoa:
rfurtkamp wrote:The only transparent thing I own is a set of drinking glasses.
rustywire

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nightterrors » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:13 am

hollowhero wrote:

+1

Yeah, I just have witnessed guys daisy chaining stuff years back and it would overload all the time or cause some serious noise. Was just trying to figure out the best solution.

Thanks dudes!
nightterrors

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:38 am

If you still need more taps for your pedals really look into the Burkey Six, I understand you already have the Pedal Power under your board but if I'm not mistaken the Six was designed to fit together with another power supply under a Pedaltrain board.
Otherwise daisy chaining on the Pedal Power is possible offcourse (it just has low current), or you could get a Godlyke Power All on the side (better than the One Spot because it has less noise issues) and daisy chain the pedals that have no problem with it.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby rfurtkamp » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:32 am

Start cheap. Daisy chain off what you have.

See if it works. If it doesn't, look at more expensive options.

I'm running 11 pedals (all fuzz but one, which has an analog delay in it as a custom 3-in-1) on a Boss or Dano adapter daisy chained, don't recall which and it's plugged in under the desk. No issues. I could have spent more, but didn't need to.

Fuzz and dirt boxes are stupidly low draw, you could probably do a couple dozen off the cheapest adapter ever made.
==
My pedalboard costs approximately 191 Metal Zones.

rfurtkamp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:54 pm

yah. i have too much shit on my board so i use a Ciokolate. but i still have two daisy chains out of higher mA outs, like peoples said most fuzzes and non-digital stuff doesn't really seem to care about daisy'ing.

.... Daisy'ing sounds like it should be a term for some sechsual shenanigans. maybe they first time you turn a corn-fed innocent white grrL out on some freaky 5 way with a midget in a gimp mask and liberal use of potatoes?

"got that silly Kristin ALL Daisy'd out yo."
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Return to General Gear