Something bitcrushing/lo-fi?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Something bitcrushing/lo-fi?

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Hey, guys

So I KIND OF love my Catalinbread Heliotrope... I mean... the idea is great, but there are little details that are bugging me... Mainly because it's too muffled for me

I'd like to do bitcrushed guitar, sometimes verging on a ring mod... with some EQ control, maybe a mix control? Maybe something that could introduce some tape warble to the sound as well? To be honest, I'm using the Helio more for additional hairy/synthy texture under my playing, not for absolutely fucking shit up

I presume I have two options

a) tons of cash because i'd go custom/ buy something like Hexe
b) wait for the Destroyer on Mobius I might buy during the summer/autumn and then be the happiest person, because it does exactly what i want

or is there some other possibility :idk:
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Something bitcrushing/lo-fi?

Postby Tristan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:57 pm

The FrantaBit also does pseudo ring mod style stuff and it has a mix knob so you can blend in just as much as you like.
In all honesty the sample rate reduction (which I use more often than bitcrushing) in the Hexe Bitcrusher III does sound better to me than the FrantaBit but the FrantaBit has got quite some interesting textures the Hexe can't deliver, for subtlety the Hexe in my opinion is king though.
On the other hand you could try this Mooer LoFi pedal, I did some good Mooer deals with Tool0908 on Ebay, I paid $220,- for four pedals so the regular price should be around $50,- / $60,-.
Or the Malekko Bit maybe, or this Duck 8 Bit thing?
Those three all don't have an expression input though if I'm right.
I'm getting a Mid Fi Deluxe Pitch Pirate and maybe also a Dr Scientist Cosmichorus for that tape style warble / vibrato.
Another thing I'm thinking about is the Copilot Orbit, it has a mix knob so you can also blend in the frequency quite subtle on it and it gives some cool and fuzzy ring mod style synthy textures.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention it, but the Mid Fi Clarinot could also be up your alley I guess.
Last edited by Tristan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Helter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:04 pm

I too thought about the mobius but I think I enjoy buying/flipping pedals to much to have one that is awesome at everything. I mean that seriously though.

Also I think Red Panda makes one maybe?
Live your life like a tree.
spacelordmother wrote:Didn't hate it
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:56 pm

Helter wrote:I too thought about the mobius but I think I enjoy buying/flipping pedals to much to have one that is awesome at everything. I mean that seriously though.

for real, that's my biggest concern and the reason why i'm on the fence about it... it seems to really be doing everything i'm looking for and more though :no:

Tristan wrote:The FrantaBit also does pseudo ring mod style stuff and it has a mix knob so you can blend in just as much as you like.
In all honesty the sample rate reduction (which I use more often than bitcrushing) in the Hexe Bitcrusher III does sound better to me than the FrantaBit but the FrantaBit has got quite some interesting textures the Hexe can't deliver, for subtlety the Hexe in my opinion is king though.
On the other hand you could try this Mooer LoFi pedal, I did some good Mooer deals with Tool0908 on Ebay, I paid $220,- for four pedals so the regular price should be around $50,- / $60,-.
Or the Malekko Bit maybe, or this Duck 8 Bit thing?
Those three all don't have an expression input though if I'm right.
I'm getting a Mid Fi Deluxe Pitch Pirate and maybe also a Dr Scientist Cosmichorus for that tape style warble / vibrato.
Another thing I'm thinking about is the Copilot Orbit, it has a mix knob so you can also blend in the frequency quite subtle on it and it gives some cool and fuzzy ring mod style synthy textures.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention it, but the Mid Fi Clarinot could also be up your alley I guess.

hey, cool ,thanks :) I guess i'm a sample rate reduction guy as well, heh... I've been looking at the 8-bit Duck today, anyone with an experience here?
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:52 pm

I love sample rate reduction, it sounds so gorgeous! :)
By the way, here's a list with some more options:
http://www.effectsdatabase.com/type/bitcrusher/pedal

Through surfing around here on ILF I came across the Greyscale Devices Caligula which is also a bitcrusher / ring mod if I'm not mistaken.
I have never tried the Duck.
Last edited by Tristan on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
good deals with: the_brow, phantasmagorovich, alexsga, DarkAxel, goroth, The Wood Wizard, Tendollarcat, vbps, monkeydancer, intothegroove, Brobee
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 pm

8 bit duck is very musical.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:00 pm

My biggest concern though is that the muffled sound might as well be the characteristic of sample rate reduced guitar tone so i might be worrying about something pretty much "standard"

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Tristan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:32 pm

Not in my experience, well, not with the Hexe that is, the FrantaBit doing sample rate reduction does seem to have a bit of that muffled sound I think, though doing bitcrushing it gets considerably brighter.
Tristan

Supporter
Supporter

Postby sylnau » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:36 pm

I had the Heliotrope... I switch it for the FrantaBIt and was really happy with the FrantaBit!
Now the FrantaBit is not here anymore, I'm using Randy's Revenge.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I have to say that from what was suggested, the 8-Bit Duck seems most appealing to me.

very reasonably priced, i love the design and it seems to be very simple to use :) cool beans

if only there were more demo videos :/

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:28 pm

i had the one that was floating around here w/ the clean blend for a minute.. from your words, it sounds like the 8bit duck would be right up your alley.
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ChetMagongalo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm

Do you play guitar or bass? I could try to throw together a video real quick, I bought Sherm's 8bit and I love it
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:50 pm

^yea! i couldn't remember who i sold it to. so glad u are digging itttttttttttttt
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ChetMagongalo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

yeah! I used to have a hexe bitcrusher but I prefer this one because it's simpler. however I loved the modulate feature it had
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyfalconX/videos
rustywire wrote:Post your battle jacket of wrong bands

psychic vampire. wrote:I believe all authorities should be destroyed?
ChetMagongalo

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:35 pm

Guitar! That would be most splendid :)

DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear