B3K or Behemoth 2 or B7K?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Fuck OD or B3K or Fuck + B7K/Rusty Box

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:54 am

Maybe it's a good thing I had no money for that Fuck... I'm starting to think I really don't need OD in fuzz teritory, also fuck the rusty box
Krappy Bass > Megalith ULTRA > Music Man HD150 > Music Man Audiophile 2x12
Good deals with: Jwar, Hatshirt, Bronzetalon, laekna
Necrosis18

committed
committed

Postby sonidero » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 am

Necrosis18 wrote:Maybe it's a good thing I had no money for that Fuck... I'm starting to think I really don't need OD in fuzz teritory, also fuck the rusty box

So you just killed the thread???
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:21 am

sonidero wrote:
Necrosis18 wrote:Maybe it's a good thing I had no money for that Fuck... I'm starting to think I really don't need OD in fuzz teritory, also fuck the rusty box

So you just killed the thread???

No, I think I'm just going to edit the title and OP to reflect the what i'm still looking for. because i haven't decided yet and I'm still active in this thread
Necrosis18

committed
committed

Re: B3K or Behemoth 2 or B7K?

Postby Dark Barn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:02 am

I had a B3K and it was great, I miss it a little now, maybe I'll get another one, there's almost always at least one for sale at Talkbass. I let mine go because it didn't stack well after my fuzz (Pickle Pie B at that time). The B3K sounds great by itself but my impression of it at the time was that it's tone is so distinct it kind of stamps it all over every dirt you have before it. Man now that I think about it I want to give it another shot, I think it would really work well in the band I'm in now.

I have both a Behemoth II and a Mini on my board right now and I really like both of them, the Mini is crazy versatile; from clean boost to OD to fuzz, and the eq and bias controls give you so many flavors. I know you took it off your list but dang it rules.

But the Behemoth II you just added to the list is a great pedal, clipping voice A is where it's at for me, has this great soft clip that stays soft even when dimed. Voice B is nice too and has more grit but it just doesn't impress me the same way. The subtle ness of voice A makes it great for stacking and giving extra flavor to stuff before it. The waveform knob is less useful for me than I'd like, it makes the circuit more fuzzy but adds in a bunch of chokey squishy compression that seems to take a toll on your attack, neuters your 'punch' when dimed. No biggy, i just dial it out or use it sparingly. Oddly I love the way the waveform circuit sounds with synths though.

No experience with the Rusty Box or regular Fuck. But even the builder himself just pointed out, for bass you want the Mini.

My advice here though is between the B3K and B7K save some buckies and go with the 3. If you dig the sound but want more features flip it and get the 7. Between the B3K and Behemoth II... They are just worlds apart. B3K is aggressive, grindy. Behemoth II (voice A) is soft and pillowy with massive testes. Behemoth sounds great after other dirt and great feeding into modulation. To my ears the B3K really sounds best by itself, which isn't a bad thing.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

Dark Barn wrote:
NSFW: show
I had a B3K and it was great, I miss it a little now, maybe I'll get another one, there's almost always at least one for sale at Talkbass. I let mine go because it didn't stack well after my fuzz (Pickle Pie B at that time). The B3K sounds great by itself but my impression of it at the time was that it's tone is so distinct it kind of stamps it all over every dirt you have before it. Man now that I think about it I want to give it another shot, I think it would really work well in the band I'm in now.

I have both a Behemoth II and a Mini on my board right now and I really like both of them, the Mini is crazy versatile; from clean boost to OD to fuzz, and the eq and bias controls give you so many flavors. I know you took it off your list but dang it rules.

But the Behemoth II you just added to the list is a great pedal, clipping voice A is where it's at for me, has this great soft clip that stays soft even when dimed. Voice B is nice too and has more grit but it just doesn't impress me the same way. The subtle ness of voice A makes it great for stacking and giving extra flavor to stuff before it. The waveform knob is less useful for me than I'd like, it makes the circuit more fuzzy but adds in a bunch of chokey squishy compression that seems to take a toll on your attack, neuters your 'punch' when dimed. No biggy, i just dial it out or use it sparingly. Oddly I love the way the waveform circuit sounds with synths though.

No experience with the Rusty Box or regular Fuck. But even the builder himself just pointed out, for bass you want the Mini.

My advice here though is between the B3K and B7K save some buckies and go with the 3. If you dig the sound but want more features flip it and get the 7. Between the B3K and Behemoth II... They are just worlds apart. B3K is aggressive, grindy. Behemoth II (voice A) is soft and pillowy with massive testes. Behemoth sounds great after other dirt and great feeding into modulation. To my ears the B3K really sounds best by itself, which isn't a bad thing.

Perfect example of the type of responses I've been after, Thank you.
Honestly I really like the Mini/Fuck I just need to have one on my board to make any further decision about it.
What you said about the behemoth intrigues me, since it's so drastically different from my current perception that tells me I need to research it more.
Yeah if I was going to get a B7K I would still get B3K first to test the sound and such. But I would really like to hear peoples experiences with it; how having a B7K changed it's position in the chain, other effects they got because of it and any special/interesting things they were able to do because of it.
Also extremely interested in hearing about other preamps.
Necrosis18

committed
committed

Postby MEC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Behemoth II. I've never tried the others but...Behemoth II.
Especially if you plan on stacking with the Megalith.

Here's a short clip of the two stacked through a guitar amp:

The recorder and the guitar amp don't allow for the full experience. There are more lows IRL.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby Dark Barn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Yeah maybe soft and pillowy at the end there isn't a good description, but compared to the others you've asked about I'd say it is more so. The Behemoth isn't dainty, it sounds pretty huge.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm

MEC wrote:Behemoth II. I've never tried the others but...Behemoth II. Especially if you plan on stacking with the Megalith.
Here's a short clip of the two stacked through a guitar amp:
NSFW: show

The recorder and the guitar amp don't allow for the full experience. There are more lows IRL.

Yeah That clip is the pretty much the reason I added it to my list
Necrosis18

committed
committed

Postby MEC » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Cool!
A couple of other things to check out would be the Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian and the Heavy Electronics Grind Fuzz.
These are both fuzzes not ODs but both sound pretty good with the gain set low and retain clarity with chords.

The Mountainking P.O. Box is pretty cool too, if you are just wanting to add a little grit to your clean toanz.
http://youthministry.bandcamp.com/
http://remainstheband.bandcamp.com/
Achtane wrote:FUZZ ALL DAY MAN FUZZ IS GOD ALL OTHER EFFECTS ARE SHIT
Caesar wrote:Dude, can you get the fuck out of my b/s/t thread with your bullshit.
PumpkinPieces wrote: This isn't America, this is I Love Fuzz.
Mudfuzz wrote:Remember when we were all just a bunch of weirdos that liked fucked up shit and not just a bunch of nerds buying bling to impress each other online?
MEC

HERO
HERO

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:26 pm

I'm on Sonny's wait list for a Siamese Bluebeard ATM but the Tall Font is definitely on my radar. I think I'm set for strait fuzz pedals but dirty ODs/PreAmps aren't out of the question.
Necrosis18

committed
committed

Postby Bassboar » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Necrosis18 wrote:I'm on Sonny's wait list for a Siamese Bluebeard ATM.

sanfordandsonny wrote:guitars are hammers if you put some electrical tape on the handle so the blood doesn't make the hammer slippery so be it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Good deals with: Bellyheart, bronzetalon,kbithecrowning, fuzzmax, jwar, misc1600, hatshirt, colin, chippywallace, Monkey Boy, skullservant, jumbosteelie, foomanfat, sanfordandsonny, pez.period, proroby, excane
Bassboar

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Necrosis18 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Necrosis18

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear