Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby JTurbide » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 am

So I am a fucking maniac who can't be stopped

I ordered a Bionic Lester MK3 from Signal Sounds and bought a Rossum Linnaeus from some guy on MW... Still waiting for PHmk3. That updated system is going to be absolute bliss! :!!!:

Oh and received the Kermit yesterday! :evil:

Here is what it will look like (I also have an AJH gemini and Entropic doom, a Zzzorb and Xtreme filter but I'll try to sell them, along with the quad adsr, and get a Maths, some fx like mimeophon or MFX from ALM and aone or two more mixing modules like from intellijel or something).

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/m ... 862556.jpg

Edit: Just received Piston Honda mk3!! It is so good :!!!:
Can definitely see myself tweaking sliders and knobs for hours
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:59 pm

murrrrrrf. so many sexy euro boxes of sexy sexiness. buuuuut it was a good choice to boop down to a minimal collection. as much as i adore all the euro effects bits i kept, i rarely turn them on. good to have them much more... squished down desk real estate style?

speaking of Smaller Options, just got my Super 6 desktop in -

love this thing. so much better having the S6 separated from the keyboard.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:31 pm

Nice!

Not to try and bring you back to the euro side of things but I am having so much fun doing Jungle/DnB drums with a breakbeat on Nerdseq!

Throw in a few offset, retrigger, backwards and probability fx and your on!
So much fun. Sending midi to my mpc for big ass lush chords on top of it and making a few basslines that follow chord changes. What a trip!

I've been listening to some nintendo64 jungle idm playlist (god I loved those 1080 snowboard jungle tracks, and I am discovering that bomberman as a crazy OST too!), And really wanted to try something like it. Getting close to something similar! :)
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:00 pm

very cool! NerdSeq is BALLER. dooder is a delight to talk to as well.

buuuuuuuuut as much as i adore trackers, no. nope nope nope nopety nope nope. i have been so much happier and while i still have Never Finish A Track Syndrome that i'm trying to power through, i end up with bits of things that i like and HOPEFULLY will use. Hydra's layout and some generative control stuff in Live has been scratching any Patch For WHAAAAAAAAAT itches.

i llked the Tracker from PolyEnd, might grab one again someday, but i have a Dirtywave M8 on the way (i think he said about a month, month and a half was the hoped for ship time frame) and that is a tracker i am SUPER excited about.

i did see a generative sequencer in Euro format that looked like a lot of fun. but i can't just grab one or two little Euro bits and bobs. i know what will happen. i'll move a bunch of hardware loot to make room for a decent sized rack and get back into wanting every new thing that gets released. trying to avoid that.

murf. pretty happy that the Erica Perkons has been delayed so much actually. really REALLY want to jubble one, but the space i had set aside for it... i put a squishy flat cat bed there, my cat loves lounging and making bread and napping on it. not only is it adorable, and if she's happy *I* am happy, but it keeps her off the gear i'm using. which is the only thing she wanted to sit on before.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:33 am

Yeah the polyend tracker looks like fun. I might get one at some point. M8 looks great too but the screen seems a bit small imo.

Right now I really have the itch for an elektron box (octatrack, digitakt and machinedrum), although something that can do lush chords easily is probably a bigger priority. MPC One can do it but I seem to struggle a bit sequencing with it while having Nerdseq as the main clock.

Maybe a little desktop thing like blofeld or virus ti could do the trick but at the same time I might want something that can sequence chords on its own because while nerdseq can do it, it is a bit limited.
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:07 am

idk why, but i never tend to try to integrate my desktops with the euro - makes sense to do, but i tend to keep them in separate use-case worlds :idk:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am

I am having alot of fun with nerdseq on drum breaks, doing jungle idm dnb type stuff but I feel like I am struggling doing great chord progressions and stuff over the drums so an outboard synth might help. Or maybe I need a polyend tracker (to replicate nerdseq on drums) and a synth to really have easiest integration and flow....

:?: :facepalm:

Edit : maybe Nerdseq + Digitakt or Octatrack could be fun... I wonder how capable those would be for chords. I guess it would only be sampling so you a limited by the chord samples you find... Hmmmmm
So I guess I could do just as good with my mpc one... :erm:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:54 pm

i mean, if you want to add chord possible synth accompaniment, there's a TON of options. do you want to control Euro bits or just sync up?

you have an MPC One no? that thing, beyond being a super deep sequencer, has a few synth engines that sound lurverly. with that and sampling you should be more than covered.

iiiiii have to stop forgetting (or willfully ignoring) that i do. NOT. like. using. Elektron gear. sold off my 4th or so Digitakt. just sat there. looking all sexy but useless.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby behndy » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:33 pm

also, till i get the M8 in and have a SUPER portable jiggle box, trying the 404 mk 2 out as a little travel/move around the house buddy. MyVolts RipCord adapter to run with a USB power brick and some Etymotic Research ER3SE headphones fit nicely in a Analog Cases padded case.

CremaCaffe skin and CoolerCaps for FLAVAH.

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby JTurbide » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Nice! The sp404 look so cool. No clue how the flow/UI is tho so to me they look really hard to mess with :p

Might get a Polyend Tracker if I can sell a module or two. It seems great for breakbeat chopping and I quite like trackers' workflow. Althought it might overlap with MPC One a bit... I'm on the fence between this and a digitakt or octatrack, they might complement it better?

Kinda leaning torwards the polyend just because the learning curve will be much less steep
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:25 pm

ooh - please let us know how you get on w/ Lester :snax:
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:39 am

Entropic doom is still for sale. I really did not use it much. I just didn't seem to achieve the sounds I wanted when I bought it or couldn't figure how to use them. I really think it is a user problem tho. Maybe I was too impatient and I should put it back in the case...

Bionic lester is great so far. As I read on MW, the individual filters (like low pass) are ok but nothing to go crazy about. The fun is with the comb filters, the various link mode and the preset morphing/switch. It really shines for weirdness
Last edited by JTurbide on Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:46 am

yep - sounds like it matches up for what i'd want it for, thx :snax:
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JTurbide » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:14 am

:thumb:

Nebulae was not getting much use so I just changed the prigram for the reverb+delay. This is probably gonna be alot of fun to throw cv at, along with Kermit, PH, BL.. I think I'll get pretty interesting sounds out of that.

Also I can't believe Mob of Emus isn't more popular. You litteraly don't see them at all on yt. It can do so much it's like a swiss army knife. Oscillators (up to 6), lfos, random/s&h, drum patterns, harmonic oscillator, quantizer, envelopes, and more! (And any combination of those up to 6! Could be like 2 envelope generator, 1 vco, 1 quantizer, and two lfo or s&h for example. I always use mine

Oh and my Linnaeus is out for delivery :yay:
JTurbide

experienced
experienced

Postby Dandolin » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:48 am

i think people are put off by the user interface, but you're right, the thing's an absolute powerhouse/swiss army knife.
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear