Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:02 am

Hey gals and guys,

I'm going to buy a new modular in the next couple months and I was curious who out there has them. I'm getting a Eurorack system which is new territory for me, came up on PAiA (4700), Buchla (200, easel), EMS (VCS3), ARPs (Ody, Axxe, and Omni) and other stuff. Been really lucky so far but it's time for a system I can get really psyched on and/or be totally my own. Decided on Make Noise pretty much through and through, with a Doepfer Wasp Filter and some other stuff thrown in. Case is gonna be DIY, built into a Halliburton Zero Case.

So talk to me: case, power supplies, bus boards, rails, sick modules, good sounds, DIY nightmare situations and triumphs, and general TWSS tales etc.
Last edited by 12XU2A3X3 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ugly Nora wrote:Maybe he should go back to mail order like Jandek.

https://soundcloud.com/christian-mirande

good deals: zzuFrepuS, backwardsvoyager, hatshirt, intothegroove x2, onyxrhino, oldangelmidnight, DannDubbleEwe x2, solarolosonoio, ghosteffects, smallsnd/bigsnd, john lyons, dandolin, rot gut
12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Can we talk about Eurorack modular synths?

Postby Chankgeez » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:07 am

I wanna try out your Wasp Filter. (TWSS)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:11 am

Chankgeez wrote:I wanna try out your Wasp Filter. (TWSS)

and you shall :thumb:
TWSS

good deals: zzuFrepuS, backwardsvoyager, hatshirt, intothegroove x2, onyxrhino, oldangelmidnight, DannDubbleEwe x2, solarolosonoio, ghosteffects, smallsnd/bigsnd, john lyons, dandolin, rot gut
12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm

oooooooooh

12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby chutneyfarmer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 pm

One tip: Buy slowly and take your time.

Huge fan of the Makenoise stuff too. Maths and Wogglebug are my faves. Both are really useful and make it into most of my patches!
Good Transactions With:
Achtane
in2thegapagain85
Proroby
zezozeceglutz
MEC
echobaseone
Skullservant
Rob Fossil
Psyre
chutneyfarmer

experienced
experienced

Postby space6oy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

chutneyfarmer wrote:One tip: Buy slowly and take your time.

good luck with doing that if you can. it took me about two years to pile up 25u.
:omg:

i'd tell you to start with a modularworld case but he called it quits. try to land one used if you can, they're a great starter. monorocket cases are nice too but i fucking hate their sliding nuts (TWSS).

go join muffwiggler and get ready to :omg: :omg: :omg:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wes Mantooth » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Thinking about getting in to modulars, I'd like a nice little system for noise creation. Are there any good guides around to getting started as far as how different types of modules work and how they work together and everything I should consider before embarking on this journey?
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby space6oy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:27 pm

analogue haven is the biggest modular retailer in the US. each module's page has a pretty thorough description, a lot have demos and links to the manufacturer's sites.

this planner site doesn't provide functional info but is awesome for planning module arrangement:
http://www.modularplanner.co.uk/

again i'd say join the muffwiggler forum and prepare to :omg:
i used to be a regular on there but made myself cut back once pedal addiction resurged and took over...
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chutneyfarmer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Wes Mantooth wrote:Thinking about getting in to modulars, I'd like a nice little system for noise creation. Are there any good guides around to getting started as far as how different types of modules work and how they work together and everything I should consider before embarking on this journey?

Best tip for this: Join the Muffwiggler forum and read, read read.

If you are familiar with basic synthesis, you will know the basic elements needed. However, you will be surprised what people manage to pull out of a module or two with a little creative patching.
Good Transactions With:
Achtane
in2thegapagain85
Proroby
zezozeceglutz
MEC
echobaseone
Skullservant
Rob Fossil
Psyre
chutneyfarmer

experienced
experienced

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 am

thanks for all the advice! been a long time muff wiggler registered lurker, trying to help get my friend's buchla fixed and expanded. have a reasonably good idea about what my needs are.

looking at an initial buy of: Rene', Pressure Point (one at first) DPO, MATHS, Optomix, Echophon, Phonogene, Wobblebug, and Doepfer Wasp filter.

so DIY case y/n? monorocket seems expensive and intermittent with regard to availability. :idk:

make noise power suppy and good? do you need to get distro boards separate from the supply?

12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby space6oy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 pm

man i hadn't caught the make noise "system" packs with cases & power yet. i'd have to look it up (cut myself off from modular, like i said...) but bet distro boards are already incorporated. his modules AND his support are both awesome.
:rock:
space6oy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:33 pm

I'm also diving head first into this magical land.

I'm replacing my Moog FreqBox with a TBD module (I'd like to find something with similar functionality if at all possible) to use in conjunction with my Moog Low Pass which I plan on making a dedicated pannel for so that I can patch the VCO into the filter for fucked up sounds.

Anyone have a suggestion for something kind of close to the FreqBox in functionality? Or something better that won't break the bank?
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby chutneyfarmer » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:32 am

skullservant wrote:I'm also diving head first into this magical land.

I'm replacing my Moog FreqBox with a TBD module (I'd like to find something with similar functionality if at all possible) to use in conjunction with my Moog Low Pass which I plan on making a dedicated pannel for so that I can patch the VCO into the filter for fucked up sounds.

Anyone have a suggestion for something kind of close to the FreqBox in functionality? Or something better that won't break the bank?

I can't think of a single module that would cover all those functions, but every one of those would be capapble with the correct modules in your rack.

Maybe look up some Doepfer VCOs to see if they are capable of FM, and also an envelope follower. Your VCAs will also come in useful for patching up a work-a-like!
Good Transactions With:
Achtane
in2thegapagain85
Proroby
zezozeceglutz
MEC
echobaseone
Skullservant
Rob Fossil
Psyre
chutneyfarmer

experienced
experienced

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 am

Modulars are good.

Monorocket is good. But get a cool color! I don't mind the sliding nuts too much, I got used to them fast.

The MakeNoise stuff is very cool looking, but I've yet to jump into that world. I'm still trying to get down a full features normal synth, which is surprisingly difficult(EXPENSIVE).

I don't even know what I am doing with this post.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to General Gear