Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Ruiner » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Antlerface wrote:I would’ve ribbed on Ruiner but that’s old, gotta move onto fresh jokes at the expense of others.

Rib on Ribba!
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mr. sound boy king » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:07 pm

Any of you fine people used the Tip Top 909 Hats module?

Or another hi-hats module? I am trying to get some versatile hats happening.

Currently, I use the DFAM for hats as well as the Tip Top ONE for hats, and in the past I used the DU-KRPLS for hats.

DFAM shouldn't really be used just for hats. Like, I don't need 60hp of hats in my rack. It should be used for Many Things. The Tip Top ONE is great for one hat sound but I prefer to use it for bass drums or snare drums or perc hits. Du_KRPLS is great but kind of a noise monster and I used it on every track of my last record and want to try something NEW for my NEW RECORD.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby behndy » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:18 pm

jebus. yeah, just saw that. i know nothing about the man, but that's sad.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Antlerface » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:32 pm

mr. sound boy king wrote:Any of you fine people used the Tip Top 909 Hats module?

Currently, I use the DFAM for hats as well as the Tip Top ONE for hats, and in the past I used the DU-KRPLS for hats.

DFAM shouldn't really be used just for hats. Like, I don't need 60hp of hats in my rack. It should be used for Many Things. The Tip Top ONE is great for one hat sound but I prefer to use it for bass drums or snare drums or perc hits. Du_KRPLS is great but kind of a noise monster and I used it on every track of my last record and want to try something NEW for my NEW RECORD.

The TT 909 Hats are great. I fucking love the TT 909 series modules. Accurate rep of the old 909.

I put out a thing this past week. It is all eurorack minus a short piano loop on track 1, which is processed to high hell through my eurorack. All one take, done live, no overdubs. I'm getting closer to realizing a full length, my tracks are growing and becoming more in the realm of what I originally set out to do with modular 2 years ago. Track 2 is my least favorite but also closer to the patches I'm making now, percussive and shit. Just not as together as I'd like on this take. The joys of hitting record and jamming for three hours.

https://washedrecordings.bandcamp.com/
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Antlerface wrote:
mr. sound boy king wrote:Any of you fine people used the Tip Top 909 Hats module?

The TT 909 Hats are great. I fucking love the TT 909 series modules. Accurate rep of the old 909.

Seconding the TT909 recommendation, I sold mine since I had two Erica Drums modules, but I miss the accessibility and simplicity of having the tip top modules.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby yeatsvisitslincoln » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:48 pm

So I'm ordering an ADDAC506, which is the stochastic function generator x4. Will be interesting to see if it's usable as a normal envelope, too, but at bare minimum I'm gonna send the Ultra Random Analog down the road. Should be an interesting ride. This'll be the first ADDAC module for me. Their stuff looks dense as fuck, and I've never really wanted anything of theirs before. Anyone have any thoughts on them?
yeatsvisitslincoln

committed
committed

Postby Muse FTW » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 pm

Few updates. Reset my rack setup and have been playing around with it and have come to some interesting realizations regarding manufacturers:

1, I don't enjoy the Mutable Instruments modules the way I used to. Clouds is reduced to (an admittedly nice) reverb for me, Rings is a one trick pony, Plaits has too many tricks, and I always forget what mode I wanna be in for Tides. Marbles and Stages are still awesome, but I'm definitely using them less than I remember. I don't necessarily want to sell my MI gear (especially because it looks so nice next to each other) but man, it does not inspire me like it used to. Maybe I'm a dumbass but I dislike the trend of these tiny button icons on modules, with each one resulting in different modes depending on what other buttons you press. I always forget what I'm supposed to do to get what I want, especially if I take time off from eurorack.

2, Intellijel really does it for me. I didn't bond that much with Morgasmatron or Plonk but I've realized that all of their utility modules are great (Tetrapad, Shifty, Quad VCA, 1U crap) and Metropolis is still one of my favorite sequencers in Eurorack. Atlantis also surprised me - although I think it's more of the realization that the HP is worth it. It's just a great fucking synth. I'm looking forward to the Planar2 coming in tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking about getting a Scales (to pair with the Metropolis/Shifty combo) and a Rainmaker. If they made black panels for their synths I would legitimately buy all of them lol. I kinda want to try Plonk again, too - maybe with a Jellysquasher and Springray2.

3, IDK why but Make Noise is usually the first company I boot from a setup when reconstructing a rack - even though it probably shouldn't be. QPAS (came in today) is a really, really nice filter. Very vowel-y, which I dig. Still working out those controls (gotta read the manual) but it sounds great so far. Gotta find some space to add Rene2/Tempi back in and really commit to learning it.

4, Noise Engineering is my favorite manufacturer and I would've never guessed it when I entered the eurorack market. I LOVE their utility modules. Really nice efficiency in terms of space and functionality. BIA and Manis are probably my favorite oscillators in Eurorack. I feel like I'm not using LIP and Ataraxic to their full capabilities but I'm hoping to get to that level soon. Thinking about getting some of their rhythm generator modules instead of getting a Metron tbh.

5, I think I made a mistake by selling some of my XAOC modules a while ago. I'm really loving Batumi and Zadar (and I haven't scratched the surface of Zadar tbh). Tallin is a mainstay in the rack, too. I'm missing Belgrad though, as well as that phaser module whose name I can't recall.

Why did I write this up? No clue. Maybe I'll reference this next time I think about getting more Mutable modules, or I'll try and hold myself to learning some of these modules instead of selling them and then regretting it later.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dub » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:50 am

RE: Mutable stuff I know what you mean about it seeming awkward when you've stepped away for a while.
Watching UG's demo of that Clouds pedal was interesting since he gravitated towards the modes I never use and was confused by the ones I do. Which makes sense in an unmodulated guitar context. Actually made me want to give the other modes a proper look, rather than just the default and spectral madness...

I don't find Rings to be a one trick pony for my purposes, I send audio through it all the time, and it finds it's way into patches quite often.
I've been gearing up to change my rack and expand, since I had a bit of a moratorium on spending any more money over the last two years after putting together a system quite quickly. But playing the modular out has been a real education in where I want to go and what I need since my rack is incoherent as fuck (from coming out of guitar) and leans way more towards signal processing than creating it's own sounds or giving me freedom as a complete playable "instrument".

Part of my plan is to replace MI stuff with smaller DIY versions of the modules (and get a mini plaits, which just seems really useful, worse case scenario I end up using it as a hihat module? haha) But really I just need to stock up on utilities, like mixers and s&h etc and get deep into learning some of the real basics of synthesis that I glided over in grabbing a bunch of crazy noisemakers and hype modules.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby MrNovember » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:06 am

I also get where you're coming from re: Mutables. They're all awesome modules, but sometimes there's just too much hidden in there. The only one I still have is Marbles and I honestly don't know what any of the buttons do any more. I'm actually on the fence with wanting to find something a little more straight forward. Not sure where I would even look for that though.
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby dub » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:23 pm

Gillet mentions in their interview with mylarmelodies that the design is getting simpler compared to earlier modules I think stages, plaits and marbles are all a step in that direction of immediacy and usability. Another point they made was how the first designs were made when their own rack was primarily straight forward doepfer and the MI parts were the only complexity to deal with, if you have an entire rack of multi function digital modules it becomes much harder to navigate around.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby mr. sound boy king » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:22 pm

NEW e.p. of mine out today.

RAMPS.

https://immigrantbreastnest.com/album/ramps

End result of a MOTS performance in March. Slays face. EXCITEBIKE. No-Bit.com. LIVE LIVE. No overdubs.
NEW EP of BANGERS, David B. Applegate Gets The Vapors out now: https://immigrantbreastnest.bandcamp.co ... the-vapors
mr. sound boy king

experienced
experienced

Postby Muse FTW » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Been digging Moog lately. Ordered a Mother32/DFAM combo. Eager to try them out and maybe a smaller skiff.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Ruiner » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:23 am

Soma Pulsar is in its final form! They just posted a pic on their instagram and going to show it at Superbooth!

Also, Endorphin.es just teased what looks to be a playable sequencer

Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Muse FTW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 am

Endorphines is one of those brands I really want to try, but haven't taken the dive into yet.

Their labelling is almost as nonsensical as Make Noise's which will surely cause some frustration for me, but they seem worth the hassle. At the very least I'd love to get a Shuttle System Control (if not an entire Shuttle System).

Speaking of Make Noise, they're announcing something today, too. Rumor is some kind of stereo mixer. Really intrigued by all the stereo offerings lately. Really hoping it means stereo Echophon/ErbeVerb in the future.
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Muse FTW » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:26 pm

Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear