Can we talk about modular synths?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Can we talk about modular synths?

Postby Warpsmasher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:38 pm

I usually just stash $50-$60 a week into the piggy bank, then get what I want once I have enough. I think if I did it any other way I would just end up maxing out some credit cards. I'm walking to work now and almost never need to drive anymore. Interface woes and some other random bullshit sidelined me for a bit, but I'm back on track now, saving for the new Trogotronic module.
Warpsmasher

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby kbit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm

For those with the Beat Step Pro, they released an update today that adds a lot of functionality. Most importantly for me, each individual track in the drum sequencer can be set to any length from 1-64 steps :yay: & they added a really handy feature for the melodic sequencer: if you hold down a note on the "keyboard" while selecting any of the 64 steps they are programmed with that note value. So much easier than scrolling those knobs all the time. Plus, a cheat sheet for the shift functions: http://downloads.arturia.com/products/b ... tSheet.pdf

I'm glad I didn't end up selling it right before this update came out, gonna have to dig in and see if I can get down with it now.
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby behndy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:44 pm

yeah man. i am EXCITED about the BSP update. i like it, but it had some serious limitations. polyrhythmicnessicity GOOD.

ooooo! yeah, DivKids vid on the Quasar was INTERESTING.

also, CASE GOT HERE. YESH.

also also, parts for the case got here! yesh YESH.

Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Forrrest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 pm

long time pedal enthusiast, first time poster in this thread (I think)

this week I got a morphagen and a pair of CP3 mixers, and my case is finally full.
I have the E370 on order, and I'm gonna dump the erica wavetable and some doepfer modules to make room for it.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/451395

I wouldn't mind making room for the ER301, but no idea on what to bump to find 30hp. I'd have to go bigger..
a full AJH minimod voice was in the original plan, but I should do it in 5U, I dunno. i've got a voyager, it's probably not necessary.
there's tons of fun to be had with what I've got so I shouldn't even worry about 'next' plans for a while at least.
I should just stop looking at modules for a while.

Pretty much just realized a long term plan. what a weight off my shoulders.
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby Dark Barn » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:26 pm

Whoa! Very nice.
I've been searchin' for the dolphins in the sea.

The Weak in Review: Weak Arguments Revue
Dark Barn

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Warpsmasher wrote:I usually just stash $50-$60 a week into the piggy bank, then get what I want once I have enough. I think if I did it any other way I would just end up maxing out some credit cards. I'm walking to work now and almost never need to drive anymore. Interface woes and some other random bullshit sidelined me for a bit, but I'm back on track now, saving for the new Trogotronic module.

I need to start doing this. I think I may actually open a new savings account to make some auto deposits from my paycheck. Then whenever there's enough in that account, I'll be able to justify buying something.

Also, forrrest, that is a crazy set-up! I'll take one of the O_C's off your hands if you need to free up some space...
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:40 pm

Forrest, I love wavetable synths. Looks like you're more than covered with Shapeshifter let alone the Erica Synths one (that thing looks intense in all the best ways).
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Forrrest » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:50 pm

$harkToootth wrote:Forrest, I love wavetable synths. Looks like you're more than covered with Shapeshifter let alone the Erica Synths one (that thing looks intense in all the best ways).

The shapeshifter is fantastic, especially with the newest firmware that lets you switch chords....
but I can't wait for the e370, that's going to be a monster.
I credit these wavetable modules (and the orgone accumulator that I unloaded last month) along with the geiger counter for half a dozen noise albums that no one is ever going to listen to. lol.

MrNovember wrote:Also, forrrest, that is a crazy set-up! I'll take one of the O_C's off your hands if you need to free up some space...

they're the best. one in tuning mode all the time, the other for all the other things it can do. how DOESN"T everyone else have two of these?
Forrrest

committed
committed

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I completely understand. People with set ups like yours...you've transcended music and now communicate with other life forms. That is a compliment.
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby MrNovember » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:57 pm

$harkToootth wrote:...you've transcended music and now communicate with other life forms. That is a compliment.

Isn't that everyone's end goal in this thread?
MrNovember

Modulae of BILF
Modulae of BILF

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:03 pm

:lol: Honestly I hope so. But this is coming from someone who would be happy making Electro Pop in the vein of FEATURELESS GHOST or just plain wonky techno.
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Antlerface » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:03 pm

MrNovember wrote:
$harkToootth wrote:...you've transcended music and now communicate with other life forms. That is a compliment.

Isn't that everyone's end goal in this thread?

Pretty much!
Antlerface

experienced
experienced

Postby oscillateur » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Ok, so almost all of you basically spend a bigger part of your income than me on gear, that explains things :).
That might be because I've mostly been living in big, expensive cities for the past 15 years (Paris, Tokyo), rent and cost of life are quite high (and I've got a kid too now, that costs monies too ;) )...

Also. the CP3 mixers are awesome. Lovely overdrive and super useful. I just wish mine was set up with an unipolar instead of bipolar mix out knob, as I use it with audio almost all the time.
oscillateur

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 pm

lol. i mean, i live in the Bay Yarea. which is like.... the SHITTIEST IN THE WORLD rent-wise right now? but i do pay (relative to surrounding real estate) nothing for the house i rent, and no kids is a game changer.

y'all that spawn are WAY braver than i. a doggo and three kits is plennnnnty of responsibility.

DAMN NEAR MY LIMIT.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ruiner » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Austin is pretty damn expensive these days. No kids definitely helps the gear aquisitions.... though I have 2 dogs and 2 cats which feel like kids sometimes and can get expensive too!
Ruiner

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear