I have a small stone, will i love the grand orbiter?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

I have a small stone, will i love the grand orbiter?

Postby El Stompalapagus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 am

Like the title says I've got an old big box small stone off ebay that I love dearly, especially when I dirty it up, but im finding the single knob a bit lacking sometimes. I'm looking for somethin more tweakable to mix it up a bit, but not quite as pricey as the whetstone as I can't justify that to myself (and it doesn't hurt that I saw the grand orbiter on Portugal. the Man's board :!!!: ). Thoughts? Opinions?
El Stompalapagus

interested
interested

Re: I have a small stone, will i love the grand orbiter?

Postby 01010111 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 am

The the Grand Orbiter is to the MXR Phase 90 what the Whetstone is to the Small Stone. So, if you're in love with the small stone kind of phasing then the whetstone would be the way to go for ultimate flexibility, but there are a couple DOD offerings that are based on the small stone.

The DOD 490 and the Vibrothang are both based on the Small Stone circuit and can be had for relatively cheap, if you're looking at the 490, though, it can be had for about the same price a grand orbiter goes for. So, in that case you might want to go for the grand orbiter.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby zRobertez » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:01 pm

Portugal. The Man is the bomb!!!!!!!

ps-I think there is also a smaller blackout phaser with three knobs and a switch. The Sibling. But I don't know if it's related to the whetstone. I don't really know what is based off the small stone.
But it if I had to make a phaser suggestion out of any phaser, I would say the subdecay quasar. There are like 4 different quasars but they're the only phaser that I've ever really bonded with.
But again, they are pretty unique, tone wise. More like the mutrons
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Housewife/331848200230566
http://housewifeofficial.bandcamp.com/
Tom Dalton wrote:Like a phoenix's butt, it will rise from the asses.

KLON KLON KLON KLON
zRobertez

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Casavettes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:24 pm

i have the sibling and yes its related to the whetstone and crystal dagger. fantastic little pedal.
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I thought that the Grand Orbiter was Ross based, not MXR.

Regardless, I'd try out the Sibling Phaser.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby benjuro » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 pm

You WILL love the Grand Orbiter but if you want to stick really closely to the Small Stone swoosh, then as dudes have said, go with the Sibling. Closely related to the Whetstone which is closely related to the Small Stone. Plus Blackout Effectors is awesome...as is EQD.
I have a couple Small Stone versions, and the Grand Orbiter did knock the Small Stone off my board. I had a Whetstone AND IT IS AWESOME but I couldn't justify keeping it around--takes up more real estate and has far more options than I would ever use.
Special low-frequency version.
benjuro

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby El Stompalapagus » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Guess the sibling is looking like the way to go, I'll have to look into it more I guess. I'm not opposed to straying from the small stone sound and trying something new, just as long as it has an old school vintagy kinda vibe to it like in Solitude is Bliss by tame impala for example, and Portugal the man stuff
El Stompalapagus

interested
interested

Postby Casavettes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm

El Stompalapagus wrote:Guess the sibling is looking like the way to go, I'll have to look into it more I guess. I'm not opposed to straying from the small stone sound and trying something new, just as long as it has an old school vintagy kinda vibe to it like in Solitude is Bliss by tame impala for example, and Portugal the man stuff

granted prymaxe and proguitarshop have a vid demo of it, here's my shitty demo of it as well.. played with fuzz respectively.

the grand orbiter is also a great pedal, i loved the slow sweep... especially after dirt.
Casavettes

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Helter » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:13 pm

The only phaser I've ever had is a whetstone but it can pretty much do any phaser-y noise I/bands I like can think of :idk:
Live your life like a tree.
spacelordmother wrote:Didn't hate it
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Postby El Stompalapagus » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Casavettes wrote:
El Stompalapagus wrote:Guess the sibling is looking like the way to go, I'll have to look into it more I guess. I'm not opposed to straying from the small stone sound and trying something new, just as long as it has an old school vintagy kinda vibe to it like in Solitude is Bliss by tame impala for example, and Portugal the man stuff

granted prymaxe and proguitarshop have a vid demo of it, here's my shitty demo of it as well.. played with fuzz respectively.

the grand orbiter is also a great pedal, i loved the slow sweep... especially after dirt.

Really like the sweep with fuzz im hearing here, now i just gotta unload some pedals to afford a new one :lol:
El Stompalapagus

interested
interested

Return to General Gear