D*A*M pedals... are they really that good?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

D*A*M pedals... are they really that good?

Postby Helter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:39 pm

So are they?

I've never played one but have been thinking about trying one out. I'm just curious what makes them so expensive? Like is it parts, master building, a drop of demon semen? I know a few guys here have them as well as the EFE ones. I'm just curious if they really are the bees knees and cheaper substitutes really aren't as good?
Live your life like a tree.
spacelordmother wrote:Didn't hate it
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Re: D*A*M pedals... are they really that good?

Postby jreeves47 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:40 pm

All fuzz is good. Even bad fuzz is good.
jreeves47

committed
committed

Postby CBA » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

I've never tried one, but this is possibly the best sounding fuzz pedal I've ever heard:

Love love love that tone. And I'm not a tone lover. It's just exactly what I want to hear in a fuzz. I've never seen one of these anywhere else except for this video.

That said, the $430 that I saw a D*A*M Red Rooster go for is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to spend on a Rangemaster clone. But hey, I didn't buy it. Some other jackass did.

C
CBA

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Radical AC » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm

I just got a Super Bee, but haven't had enough time with it to really answer this well. As far as the price it is a combination of availability, reputation, sound, NOS parts, and properly matching the parts while rejecting the bad ones. They hold their value so if you can afford the initial investment there isn't too much risk in trying it with the potential of flipping it.
Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!
Radical AC

involved
involved

Postby skullservant » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:49 pm

It's all about reputation man.

Yes, they use good parts in their builds. Yes, those parts aren't cheap, but they still aren't near what it costs for any DAM or EFE pedal.

It's just like fashion. Does it reaaaaaally cost $250 for Luis Vutton to make a metal key chain? Nah. It's a status thing.

It's just like Bearfoot FX. They're in demand, wanted, and as such people will really pay however much to get it.
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 pm

There are magical toan fairies in those capacitors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:01 pm

jreeves47 wrote:All fuzz is good. Even bad fuzz is good.

Ugly Nora wrote:Maybe he should go back to mail order like Jandek.

https://soundcloud.com/christian-mirande

good deals: zzuFrepuS, backwardsvoyager, hatshirt, intothegroove x2, onyxrhino, oldangelmidnight, DannDubbleEwe x2, solarolosonoio, ghosteffects, smallsnd/bigsnd, john lyons, dandolin, rot gut
12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Helter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:03 pm

skullservant wrote:It's all about reputation man.

Yes, they use good parts in their builds. Yes, those parts aren't cheap, but they still aren't near what it costs for any DAM or EFE pedal.

It's just like fashion. Does it reaaaaaally cost $250 for Luis Vutton to make a metal key chain? Nah. It's a status thing.

It's just like Bearfoot FX. They're in demand, wanted, and as such people will really pay however much to get it.

Yeah this is what I kind of figured. I love some of the demos but I feel bad spending that cash on one 2-3 knob fuzz :idk: , I think id rather have some gnarly dual pedal or something.
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Helter wrote:
skullservant wrote:It's all about reputation man.

Yeah this is what I kind of figured. I love some of the demos but I feel bad spending that cash on one 2-3 knob fuzz :idk: , I think id rather have some gnarly dual pedal or something.

I think that's what it really comes down to, what you really want and how much you're willing to pay for it.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby moose23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:18 pm

Considering the new (not second hand) prices I think they're worth it, they always sound amazing and are generally built with selected NOS parts. My favourite comparison is DAM and ZVEX, I think DAM are worth the price they charge but ZVEX far from it. That said I doubt I'll ever afford a DAM pedal and the fetishism surrounding them can be a bit much but then I just think of the last time I watched Slomatics and know that without the DAM and Matamp gear it just wouldn't be the same.
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:33 pm

Is there a more subjective line of inquiry that "is it that good?"/"is it worth it?"

I wouldn't eat Ramen for a month to buy a D*A*M pedal. If I could spend the money without it impacting my lifestyle, why wouldn't I?
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:02 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Is there a more subjective line of inquiry that "is it that good?"/"is it worth it?"

I wouldn't eat Ramen for a month to buy a D*A*M pedal. If I could spend the money without it impacting my lifestyle, why wouldn't I?

well put!
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Helter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 pm

I didn't really mean it that way. I was honestly just curious why their stuff costs more than other builders and everything. I still want to try one out sometime.
Incoming
True pedge
Helter

Supporter
Supporter

Postby moose23 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Helter wrote:I didn't really mean it that way. I was honestly just curious why their stuff costs more than other builders and everything. I still want to try one out sometime.

It's cheaper than buying a vintage version of the same circuits but I guess you're paying for Dave's ears and ability to fine tune a pedal to perfection.

They're also a lot cheaper than Zvex :poke: ..
moose23

experienced
experienced

Postby Bassboar » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 pm

It's all subjective, really.
DAM pedals have some of the finest workmanship I've ever seen.
They are cheaper than vintage units and will last a whole lot longer than them as well.
Their repros of vintage units are spot on, but not much else.
If you get a DAM repro, it;s going to have kinda one sound to it.
If your after that one sound, then yeah, t's totally worth it. But if you want a lot of versatility, then you may want to look elsewhere.
Hope that makes sense.
sanfordandsonny wrote:guitars are hammers if you put some electrical tape on the handle so the blood doesn't make the hammer slippery so be it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Good deals with: Bellyheart, bronzetalon,kbithecrowning, fuzzmax, jwar, misc1600, hatshirt, colin, chippywallace, Monkey Boy, skullservant, jumbosteelie, foomanfat, sanfordandsonny, pez.period, proroby, excane
Bassboar

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear