Isis tones with gutiar pedal

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Isis tones with gutiar pedal

Postby GreatAnt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 am

Hi,

I play a Hiwatt custom 100 through a 4x12 loaded with fane's.

What pedal (for distortion) would you guys recommend to get as close to their sound as possible.

So far I'm thinking The Elements through either a Last Gasp thunder box (bass and treb booster) or a PTD bettaboost (clean drive with bass tightning options).
I also thought about a Maxon RTD800. but not really confident they are worth the extra $250.

It's mainly from Oceanic, Panopticon era I'm after.
I think they used mesa V-twins pre-amps and dual Rec's to record with. Live they used a bunch of different amps.

Cheers
GreatAnt

involved
involved

Re: Isis tones with gutiar pedal

Postby Ghost Hip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 am

The Elements. Earthbound Audio Centurion. Thunderbox would be pretty cool if you already have a distortion to work with or you use your amp's gain. I don't know, listening to the Oceanic album on youtube, skipping through it. All the distortion tones are pretty basic chugga chugga sound, not discrediting the sound, just saying it should be easy to achieve that tone. Especially with a versatile pedal like the Elements.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby jrmy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:58 am

Yeah, The Elements offers a TON in term of tone shaping. I'd be surprised if it couldn't cop the sounds pretty well on its own.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby excane » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Elements is a great start, maybe stack another fuzz (I'm thinking LSTR or similar) to get some sludgy/doom going.

Any other high gain pedal should also get you pretty damn close (and everything would sound fantastic through a Hiwatt 100) :joy:
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby jrmy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm

excane wrote:Elements is a great start, maybe stack another fuzz (I'm thinking LSTR or similar) to get some sludgy/doom going.

Any other high gain pedal should also get you pretty damn close (and everything would sound fantastic through a Hiwatt 100) :joy:

This guy's wikkid smaht about high gain. He knows what's going on.

And don't forget, The Elements has that clean blend, which makes it extra-awesome for stacking. Fuzz into fuzz w/blend = more than the sum of its parts.
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Maybe a Mesa V-Twin preamp pedal, or one of the dual rec preamp clones in pedal form. :idk: But as others have said the Elements will get you there or damn close.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:28 pm

with all that being said...

Wampler Triple Wreck? ;)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kbit » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:35 pm

When I had an Earthquaker Devices Dirt Transmitter, I always felt like I was nailing the sound of those super ragged Panopticon riffs with the bias knob rolled back 10 1-11 and the dirt up near 2-3. Although it doesn't have a super strong low end. But that's what bass is for, right? :)*
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GreatAnt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:53 am

Thanks for all the replies!

The price difference between a V-Twin pedal and pre-amp is about $1500! I'm sure there is a good reason for it too! I've only listened to demos online of the V-Twin pedal and I really doubt that it would be able to get close to those tones! It's really an OD pedal to my ears, it doesn't seem to have enough gain to it!

I have checked out those AMT pre-amp pedals and they look really good. Again it's only from the tube and from what I have read, there's only 2 or 3 ones that are worth their weight. The JCM900 and 5150, the others haven't really gotten great reviews.

Still yet to find anyone who has owned a Maxon RTD800! That is still a consideration, but not sure on the whole push on sounding warmer. I think it sounds more natural but not warmer. That and the price is really up up up there!

What's this clean blend you talk of in regards to stacking TE?

Something thick, clear, articulate, cuts through live well with just the right amount of gain!

Any other suggestions?!

CHeers
GreatAnt

involved
involved

Postby univalve » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:10 am

Some people won't like this statement but a Mesa Rectifier is an amazing amp. It will nail that sound and loves pedal in front. I know cause i have one.
Those should be used around 1400$, i think - at least over here they are not that expensive used.
univalve

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GreatAnt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 am

They are amazing amps and I hope to own one one day!

And yes that would totally make me happy and I'd be able to get the tone I'm chasing. BUT!

That's not going to happen anytime soon!

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I just got my Zoom UF and hooked it up to the Thunder Box, I think the effect I'm going for is in sight. :!!!:
GreatAnt

involved
involved

Postby DarkAxel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:19 am

GreatAnt wrote:Thanks for all the replies!

The price difference between a V-Twin pedal and pre-amp is about $1500! I'm sure there is a good reason for it too! I've only listened to demos online of the V-Twin pedal and I really doubt that it would be able to get close to those tones! It's really an OD pedal to my ears, it doesn't seem to have enough gain to it!

i'd say you're absolutely right... from my experience, V-Twin is a tad too smooth and doesn't have such gargantuous amounts of gain or balls

if we're talking pedals, i'd really suggest you take a look at the Wampler Triple Wreck pedal i mentioned :)

here, have a Kayzer demo :) they usually make me want stuff SO BAD... i'd say it sounds perfect for these kinds of sounds to me :)

if we're talking amps, really... mesa rectifier IS a nice amp ;)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby GreatAnt » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:10 am

Thanks for your reply.

I really try to like the TW, it sounds great here, but live I really feel it's going to get lost in the mix :( I really want to like it!

Rectifier is a great amp but a 70's Hiwatt custom 100 kills it in the head!

;)
GreatAnt

involved
involved

Postby dase » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:05 pm

I saw them and played with them on their first aus tour after panopticon came out and dudes were using those Hughes and Kettner t-factor pedals to push their amps. I had one for a while and didn't rate it much but it obviously worked with the rented backline they were using.
dase

HERO
HERO

Postby Jack Deville » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Start with like two to five RV-5s.
I really like ISIS. Caught em last time they came through (I think they're last tour) and was right up front for the whole show. Including a 40 minute Oceanic encore.
Everybody in that band had RV-5s on their boards. I want to say a minimum of two each. The bass player had three? Plus a few DD-Xs.
Seemed like the TR-2 was really popular with em as well.
And Fryette amps for guitar, Aguilar for bass.
Fryette overdriven tones with LOTS of reverb.
Jack Deville

committed
committed

Next

Return to General Gear