Thoughts On the ZVex Fuzz Factory & Mastotron

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Thoughts On the ZVex Fuzz Factory & Mastotron

Postby archives70 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm really digging the utter madnes of the Fuzz Factory and I have the Mastotron in the mail. Anyone have any comments about either fuzz?
archives70

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Thoughts On the ZVex Fuzz Factory & Mastotron

Postby DarkAxel » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:33 pm

FF: needs tone control :D it was too piercing for me, but the possibilities are nice :)

Masto: pretty damn cool :) loved it with bass, haven't tried with guit, but i guess it'll be very awesome
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sylnau » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Mastotron is great.
FF... nah... get an AB-Synth.
"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones." --John Cage

http://www.youtube.com/sylnau
sylnau

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby archives70 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:46 pm

I can dial in some chewy low-mids on the Fuzz Factory while retaining that sick fuzz gain on top, and it cuts hard. I'm assuming the Mastotron will give me this but without the quirkiness. I want that big fat thick FUZZ sound. Does the Mastotron deliver this?

What I enjoy about the FF is the total anarchy it provides. I got to where I can quickly tune the oscillation to pitch. I'll sustain a note in the key of E for instance, suddenly the pitch drops and like a siren it rises to the 12th fret E note. Whether I'm in E major or minor, on the right tone it really makes an insane resolution to the tonic. That I really like. I can do this in a variety of keys. I wonder what Syd Barrett or the Krautrock band Faust would've done with this.
archives70

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Officer Bukowski » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:12 pm

I <3 my fuzz factory

It was my first cool fuzz, and it's awesome.
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hazelwould » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 pm

archives70 wrote:I can dial in some chewy low-mids on the Fuzz Factory while retaining that sick fuzz gain on top, and it cuts hard. I'm assuming the Mastotron will give me this but without the quirkiness. I want that big fat thick FUZZ sound. Does the Mastotron deliver this?

What I enjoy about the FF is the total anarchy it provides. I got to where I can quickly tune the oscillation to pitch. I'll sustain a note in the key of E for instance, suddenly the pitch drops and like a siren it rises to the 12th fret E note. Whether I'm in E major or minor, on the right tone it really makes an insane resolution to the tonic. That I really like. I can do this in a variety of keys. I wonder what Syd Barrett or the Krautrock band Faust would've done with this.

I would think not. The mastotron and wooly mammoth are better to compare.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am

mastotron is a flipping beast, really loved that pedal, should have kept it
fuzz factory has some good fuzz tones but I think gets associated with a gimmicky kindof oscillation too much

I think both sound great,
mastotron to me is a more useable pedal because it can sit anywhere in the pedal chain and can handle octave down in front of it.
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DarkAxel » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:41 am

Yeah, the thing that struck me when i used Masto on bass was

"shit, this is way cheaper than a Woolly Mammoth (that i also used on bass previously) but it's WAY more universal"

seriously - i feel like the Mammoth is kind of a trick pony. I believe Masto could do what it does plus a lot more
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:29 am

Mastotron is a Mammoth with the impedance knob and subs switch added, and with different silicon transistors. Maybe the transistors make a difference, maybe not. Either version is capable of passing serious lows.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Officer Bukowski » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I like the Wooly Mammoth on guitar but found it to be pretty weak on bass.. The Mastotron seems rad though.. The name is pretty awesome if nothing else.

And my love for the Fuzz Factory has nothing to do with the oscillation. I think the oscillation is kinda annoying, but it makes the cutest little fuzz sounds ever, and it does some other cool stuff too.
I make pedals. SHARK TANK
Officer Bukowski

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby archives70 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:21 pm

Will I get those low-mids from the Mastotron? With the Stab pot @ 10:00 and Drive & Comp past 3:00, I get killer low-mids.
archives70

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby excane » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:28 pm

I like the FF, it's not awesome but it's good.

There are a TON of clones that actually sound and behave better (with the stab)
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby mathias » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 pm

I can't really use my fuzz factory clone, but I think it's a failing of me, and the fact that most of the time I've spent has been in avoiding unnecessary oscillation rather than playing with it too much -- I do play with it, but not as its main use. By contrast, I use the footswitchable oscillation mode of my AB-Synth all the time, and find that a lot more amendable to my style.

The fuzz itself does sound kind of killer and cuts through -- but I kept longing for more Fuzz Face-ish settings with no oscillation, and my Algal Bloom does the Fuzz Face thing turned up to 11 with huge chords so I kept going back to the Algal Bloom.

Last thought -- it could be possible too that mine differs just enough from the zvex ones that the majority of knob positions are in oscillation modes and only has about one non-oscillating setting. From the number of famous bands that use them and the number of people here enjoying them, I'm guessing the real zvex FFs have transistors that are spec'd different (gain? or noise level?) or some other voodoo, I'm not really sure. Could be that mine has really high-gain germ transistors? Or something else? I've never played a zvex FF so I can't be sure.
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby archives70 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:39 am

:!!!: Yes the low-mids are happening with the Mastotron. So is a very beefed up Fuzzface sound when stacked into my FD2 Mosfet on the clean channel in 'comp-cut' mode. My '56 Strat sounds unbelievable for a DSOTM Gilmour sound with a hint of 'Space Echo' from my TC Flashback. :yay:
archives70

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby 12XU2A3X3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:36 pm

mammoth keeps low and on bass, it's just not that menacing. it's cool to use it for some putter/lofi on guitar = low gain setting + play with pinch/PW
Ugly Nora wrote:Maybe he should go back to mail order like Jandek.

https://soundcloud.com/christian-mirande

good deals: zzuFrepuS, backwardsvoyager, hatshirt, intothegroove x2, onyxrhino, oldangelmidnight, DannDubbleEwe x2, solarolosonoio, ghosteffects, smallsnd/bigsnd, john lyons, dandolin, rot gut
12XU2A3X3

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear