Guitar of yours that stays in tune the best (ever)?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Guitar of yours that stays in tune the best (ever)?

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 pm

it seems to me that my 25.5" scale guitars generally stay in tune better than 24.75" scale guitars, and that guitars with maple necks are more stable than guitars with mahogany necks. any kind of non-double-locking tremolo makes tuning more unstable; having the bridge and nut slots optimized for your string gauge and setup is essential here and adviseable for all guitars for better tuning results. if one of your strings goes "PING!" and suddenly changes pitch while you're tuning, the nut slot is too narrow.

tuners don't seem to make that much difference as long as they're of good quality, except on my Tokai Les Paul Special...those fucking Kluson-type tuners still don't stay in tune worth a damn now any more than they did in 1970. that's my least stable guitar tuning-wise; probably the best electric was my Epiphone Les Paul Custom which i just sold. to my knowledge it had an all-mahogany body and a maple neck with Grover tuners, and often was in perfect tune when i took it out of the case after months. my Telecaster is also really good tuning-wise, as is my Eastman AC512 000-sized acoustic. IMO the effectiveness of locking tuners for stabliizing tuning is hype...it didn't help my Strat, and properly wound non-locking tuners shouldn't be a problem if they're of good quality. they're great for quick string changes, but otherwise don't seem to offer any real benefits in my experience.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby dubkitty » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 pm

bass content: i've always had good luck with Fender basses which are rock-solid tuning-wise as long as they aren't abused; i've never played a short-scale bass that was nearly as consistent. the only short-scale bass that stays in tune well for me is the high-end version of the Hofner "Beatle bass." the little old Fenders like the MusicMaster are the WORST, harder to keep/play in tune than an Ashbory bass. nut work is generally needed on non-Fender basses, especially if you play strings heavier than the rather light gauges that are now standard.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby sonidero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Sometimes all of mine and sometimes none of mine... Texas weather is fickle and hella humid...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fungalattack » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:58 pm

you gotta stretch your strings and tune them back and stretch them and tune them back and stretch them and tune them back and after about ten times even the most intense shredding will keep those strings in tune!
Fuzz, reverb, delay.

http://dridge.bandcamp.com/
fungalattack

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 pm

sonidero wrote:Sometimes all of mine and sometimes none of mine... Texas weather is fickle and hella humid...

yeah, I don't have air conditioning... the temperature in my apartment varies between 10 and 20 degrees between daytime and night...

... and i tend to play my strings until they develop tuning problems... but under perfect conditions ....
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby sonidero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
sonidero wrote:yeah, I don't have air conditioning... the temperature in my apartment varies between 10 and 20 degrees between daytime and night...

... and i tend to play my strings until they develop tuning problems... but under perfect conditions ....

Are you living under my stairs???
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:45 pm

sonidero wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:
sonidero wrote:yeah, I don't have air conditioning... the temperature in my apartment varies between 10 and 20 degrees between daytime and night...

No, but I'd be saving a lot on rent if I was. Is that an offer?

(Less rent = mo' pedals)
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby sonidero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Chankgeez wrote:
sonidero wrote:
Chankgeez wrote:

No, but I'd be saving a lot on rent if I was. Is that an offer?

(Less rent = mo' pedals)

YES we need an Austin based ILF Compound... There are enough smart people here to make that happen... This city is going nuts again... And we can have a room dedicated to temperature control so all the Guit Box's stay in tune...
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

I might move to Austin?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 am

Chankgeez wrote:I might move to Austin?

Everyone should... :hello:
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Achtane » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

T.J.S.M.S.S.A...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby sonidero » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 am

Achtane wrote:T.J.S.M.S.S.A...

FO LIFE... And think how big we could make it... So many to add...

Oh and on topic, I pulled out my '00 something US Strat from the closet which is really hot but it was in a smooth ass case and it's in tune... My 2000 American Precision Dlx Bass has been close to always in tune for 5 years but the strings are older so maybe it's that... The Univox Hi-Flyer stays 90% in tune as well as my '10 MIM Jazz... The only one's that are silly are the free acoustic (thanks Jero) and the Hanna Montana... Oh and the Jag but I wail on that sooo...
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:23 am

My mom stray stays in tune perfectly I can not touch it for a week and come back and it is exactly where I left it. Any tuning and any conditions and it just locks in. It has wd tuners and a 10 to 52 set. It is raw wood basically with 2 coats of stain not sealed. And it breathes well. Second best guitar for tuning is my 76 Univox gimme
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:24 am

hbombgraphics wrote:My mom stray ...

Auto-correct, WTF?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby hbombgraphics » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 am

Chankgeez wrote:
hbombgraphics wrote:My mom stray ...

Auto-correct, WTF?

Should read mim strat. I am choosing not to edit it so that everyone will know what a dumb jerk my kindle fire is.
Gunner Recall wrote:This thread is bad and everyone in it should feel bad.

Iommic Pope wrote:This thread is mediocre at best, but I encourage everyone posting in it to feel as awesome as possible.

https://soundcloud.com/hbombgraphics
hbombgraphics

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear