yo Eventide Space users

Moderator: Ghost Hip

yo Eventide Space users

Postby tashiattack » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Should I sell all my verbs to buy one of these? Is it worth it? Does the Hot Switch trail when switching out of it? How's the learning curve? Is it easy to sync some kind of small midi controller to change presets? I'm gasing for one, and I want to use it to make the dronez and gaze :joy:

(Right now I'm using a Wet, Soundblox Dimension Reverb, and Alesis Wedge...but i'd sell all of them to make enough $$ to buy one and simplify the board).
Last edited by tashiattack on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Re: yo Eventide Space users

Postby Demon666 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:09 pm

I like mine, but I will say this. Learning curve is a pain for someone like myself. Not a take to practice and I'll figure it out 5 min. before we start. I still have to sit down and spend some time with it, but the sounds it makes are pretty sweet. I use it more for weird stuff, ambient, soundscape, etc. I also play bass so....

this reply to your question is probably about as useful as some wet toilet paper.
Demon666

experienced
experienced

Postby tashiattack » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:12 pm

Demon666 wrote:I like mine, but I will say this. Learning curve is a pain for someone like myself. Not a take to practice and I'll figure it out 5 min. before we start. I still have to sit down and spend some time with it, but the sounds it makes are pretty sweet. I use it more for weird stuff, ambient, soundscape, etc. I also play bass so....

this reply to your question is probably about as useful as some wet toilet paper.

No I appreciate this. I'm not a huge tweaker, not in the realm of racks & processors at least. This aspect sort of scares me. I hate to sound like a TGP guy but the Wet is really awesome for sound & simplicity, I got the soundblox dimension to do the outrageous stuff but it doesn't sound too much like a rack, which is what I was hoping for. The wedge is just impractical to put on my board, and I love the thing but I have a feeling the eventide could sound the same.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby Demon666 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Well the Eventide has some crazy stuff in there. it takes a little reading along with playing around with it at the same time. Knobs have different effects depending on what patch you're in. Plus there is global setting stuff. i just recently got the hang of my Timeline. I've never used any of the Eventide stuff so it's kind of foreign to me. I'm still trying to wrap my head around midi stuff. I would like to get it set up to run both the space and the timeline off midi because it just opens up so much possibilities with them, but I'm fucking dumb when it comes to that stuff.
Demon666

experienced
experienced

Postby excane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:25 pm

You have to REEAAALLLYYY like verb. As demon said, the box is MASSIVE in its tweaking parameters.

I sat down with one for several hours and just realized that I like tweaking, but this was insane. I do own the Eventide Timefactor, and even that annoys me half the time.
excane

LORDOFDARKNESS
LORDOFDARKNESS

Postby maxwellm » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:06 am

You can make the Space as easy or hard to use as you want to. Now, when I say that, some people say "Then why the hell is it worth the price?" Fair criticism.

I usually find a main preset that I like (there's twelve basic sounds) and just monkey with it from there. I mean, it does take some getting used to. And a lot of the sounds go way past simple (or even complex) reverbs to full delay/chorus/noise territory. It's overkill for a straight guitar reverb unit, but it can do that beautifully.

I'm sure this doesn't help.
maxwellm

involved
involved

Postby sonidero » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 am

maxwellm wrote:You can make the Space as easy or hard to use as you want to. Now, when I say that, some people say "Then why the hell is it worth the price?"

Because it's an Eventide and been on every record since the 70's...

Just sayin that's why, not a justification... If you can deal with rack effects there are a lot out there that'll do Verb for days and use midi that are hella less $$$ but it get's into what Excane said about tweakin...
"Personal Growth Through Guitar Pedals"
sonidero

Supporter
Supporter

Postby maxwellm » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:38 am

Didn't have to convince me. I already gots one, but I'm quite sure I'm not using it anywhere near its "potential."
maxwellm

involved
involved

Postby Derelict78 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:34 am

quick ?
is the space dual mono or will it sum a stereo signal?
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 am

Derelict78 wrote:quick ?
is the space dual mono or will it sum a stereo signal?

From my research it depends on what setting you use, dualverb and tremverb are confirmed dual mono, I'm sure others are (still researching) or eventide is working on it though.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby smallsnd/bigsnd » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am

the space is rad! CEG used one in the studio a whole lot when we were recording our last record and i fell in love with it. it totally is a tweaker's paradise as there are so many cool little subtle sounds and huge weirdness. that being said, as a performance tool it's probably overkill for most people when they just want one or two different verb sounds.
smallsnd/bigsnd

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bronzetalon » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am

I liked it but with eventide I just couldn't get around thier ad conversion. The sounds were great though.
bronzetalon

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MaxMaps » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:50 am

tashiattack wrote:
Demon666 wrote:I like mine, but I will say this. Learning curve is a pain for someone like myself. Not a take to practice and I'll figure it out 5 min. before we start. I still have to sit down and spend some time with it, but the sounds it makes are pretty sweet. I use it more for weird stuff, ambient, soundscape, etc. I also play bass so....

No I appreciate this. I'm not a huge tweaker, not in the realm of racks & processors at least. This aspect sort of scares me. I hate to sound like a TGP guy but the Wet is really awesome for sound & simplicity, I got the soundblox dimension to do the outrageous stuff but it doesn't sound too much like a rack, which is what I was hoping for. The wedge is just impractical to put on my board, and I love the thing but I have a feeling the eventide could sound the same.

I think the majority of people here feel the same way you do. I think this is an issue with all pedals that have a lot in one package.
THEBEERHAMMER wrote:
Achtane wrote:Doom Weed, duh.
Doom seed is like...what you get when wizards jerk it.
Doom Weed produces Doom Seed.

BRO IS THIS EVEN KUSH??? IS BUFFERED? TRV BYPASS??? MY FRIEND DAMBLEDORE TOLD ME I NEEDED CRYSTAL LETTUICE.
MaxMaps

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gone Fission » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:04 am

The one nice thing about a highly tweakable reverb with good to great sound is you can often tune your chosen sounds as music and gear changes so that it'll stay relevant. A three knob digital reverb pedal might be at higher risk of sounding stale or dated. With stuff like the Space you don't have to live in deep editing but it's nice to have the option if you want or need it.
D.o.S. wrote:Broadly speaking, if we at ILF are dropping 300 bucks on a pedal it probably sounds like an SNES holocaust.
friendship wrote:death to false bleep-blop
UglyCasanova wrote:brb gonna slap my dick on my stomp boxes
Gone Fission

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to General Gear