Kowloon Walled Bunny? or talk to me about yer Distortion +!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Kowloon Walled Bunny? or talk to me about yer Distortion +!

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 am

it's weird, I've had this pedal since the beginning of the year and never used it much,
but I just tried it out with my new Super Reverb clone and yarrrowwwgaaah shit this thing rules.
I know there aren't many out there, but this is the ILF, so maybe someone else has one?

here's what Mr. Ben Adrian, maker of said pedal, has to say about it-

"Back in the late 90's, Russell Hall of Pound, WI (now of United Sons of Toil) introduced me to the Ross Distortion pedal. Soon thereafter, I found out that the Ross Distortion, the DOD Overdrive 250, and the MXR Distortion + were all essentially the same circuit. They all had aspects about them which I enjoyed, but they also had aspects that I found displeasing. I got it into my head to someday make my ultimate version.

In 2007 I found myself with Scott Evans and his three Distortion + pedals. He liked one unit much more than the other two. After diagnosis, we found that a clipping diode was broken in the pedal that he preferred. That inspired me to create the ultimate circuit for both Scott and me. I used big coupling caps to let through the low end that Scott uses in his band Kowloon Walled City. I used the chip that I liked. I put the diodes on sockets so the user can voice their own clipping. Most importantly, I added the Clip knob to adjust the amount of "broken-ness" of one of the clipping diodes. The result is the Kowloon Walled Bunny; an elegant take on the standard rock distortion."

anyway, yeah...killer! I'm not sure dude is making 'em any more since he's now working for a giganto fx company.
any Distortion+, DOD 250 love here? holler!
Maybe partying will help.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Kowloon Walled Bunny? or talk to me about yer Distortion

Postby theavondon » Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I know for a fact SPACERITUAL has been looking for a KWB for like ever.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I've got a Ross Distortion. Love it. That thing has potential to be an always on pedal. Solid distortion.

I haven't played with it much lately though because that's just not the sound I'm going for at the moment.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby devnulljp » Sun May 20, 2012 12:17 pm

I like my old Distortion +
If you want one though, grab the Whirlwind Gold Box --- sounds the same, but I think I got mine for $40 off ebay.
Good deals done with all these guys
Canada, we put the "u" in satire
devnulljp

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun May 20, 2012 12:18 pm

theavondon wrote:I know for a fact SPACERITUAL has been looking for a KWB for like ever.

yeah, we chatted about it a bit when I was "eh" about it but figured it merited further testing...now...uh, it's mine. MINE.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun May 20, 2012 12:19 pm

devnulljp wrote:I like my old Distortion +
If you want one though, grab the Whirlwind Gold Box --- sounds the same, but I think I got mine for $40 off ebay.

ha, I've heard about folks grabbing the Yngwie pedal - basically a Distortion + - for super cheap too. Options are always good...
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but the Tokai distortions dev has in B/S/T right now sound pretty nice too.
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Zounds Perspex » Sun May 20, 2012 12:37 pm

*mutters to self* I don't need any pedals, I don't need any pedals, I don't need any pedals.
Zounds Perspex

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Chankgeez » Sun May 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Zounds Perspex wrote:*mutters to self* I don't need any pedals, I don't need any pedals, I don't need any pedals.

I thought you were working on that all Fairfield mini board?
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Moustache_Bash » Sun May 20, 2012 2:05 pm

If you got the time or resources, I'd love to hear a demo Zounds. KWB sounds like a neat pedal.
Moustache_Bash

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby nieh » Sun May 20, 2012 6:06 pm

I use a modded Dist + (for more volume and a smoother sound) as my "clean" tone, and use an And Aardvarks to boost the hell out of it to get a really nice distortion sound.
Chankgeez wrote:(Don't worry, spouses come and go, ILF is forever.)

nieh

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Sun May 20, 2012 11:32 pm

i LURVE my old D+...i've talked about it so much that i should probably be called D+ubkitty. it's the first pedal i ever bought, and the last one i'd ever sell.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby starcastic » Sun May 20, 2012 11:39 pm

I know Ben (his band, Cartographer, is AMAZING btw) and a lot of my friends throughout the country use his stuff. I've heard the KWB in action (as well as the Ratmussen) and they are incredible sounding pedals. On guitar and bass.
starcastic

experienced
experienced

Return to General Gear