Let's see your AMP!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Let's see your AMP!

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Dank man. Champ in a 1x12 cab sound awesome..
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby HorseyBoy » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:24 am

Eivind August wrote:I'm not usually very inerested in amps, but these are cool! :eek:

Dude, you're in the wrong thread. "Let's NOT see your AMP!" is that way -> :poke: :thumb:
HorseyBoy

experienced
experienced

Postby WORMDIRT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Finally made a headshell for my VT22. My back is happy and the improvement in tone is enormous

Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby Faldoe » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:00 am

Sick! Weren't you looking to buy one for a bit? Nice that you built one.
Faldoe

Postby WORMDIRT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:25 am

Faldoe wrote:Sick! Weren't you looking to buy one for a bit? Nice that you built one.

I still wish I had an original one, but this turned out way nicer than it has any right to be
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

AxAxSxS wrote:Open House Upper Decker Blumpkin would be the ultimate life achievement.
WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby BoatRich » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:02 pm

WORMDIRT wrote:Finally made a headshell for my VT22. My back is happy and the improvement in tone is enormous

Dude that looks great! I need to get my V4 running again. I just got a 70’s SVT cab and I wanna throw the V4 on it before I blow it up with my 3-Pro and have to swap speakers
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby omarwhite » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:03 pm

WORMDIRT wrote:Finally made a headshell for my VT22. My back is happy and the improvement in tone is enormous

did you go the Fliptops route?

how much lighter is it? have you weighed the head? I've been contemplating this as well....
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby whoismarykelly » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:14 pm

The chassis and mounting hardware on a V series amp has so much unnecessary heavy gauge steel that a head still weighs way more than a similar 100-watt Marshall. Where any other company would use a couple nuts to mount the chassis, Ampeg decided to use 1-pound pieces of folded steel. Where any other company would use a piece of metal foil or aluminum as shielding on the cabinet, Ampeg added a thick steel plate and about 40 sheet metal screws. Just getting into a V-series amp to do work takes several times longer an any other amp.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby WORMDIRT » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 pm

omarwhite wrote:how much lighter is it? have you weighed the head? I've been contemplating this as well....

I converted it from a vt22 combo with evm12ls in it so it's considerably lighter. It's pretty fucking heavy for a head though. My next plan is to maybe ditch the top plate and just put steel on the top of the inner cab, then get rid of the inner cheeks with the rubber shock absorbers. The main purpose behind all this is that loading in a 120+ lb combo is idiotic. Also, I play bass in a band now and I wanna use the v4 as a head
Gardens
Daniel Plainview
Sick Sweat

WORMDIRT

committed
committed

Postby horseblanket » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:00 pm

This is a project that I have been making slow progress on.
It started it's life with me as a non-working chassis from a YBA4 combo. I bought it on eBay for close to nothing. I had planned on using it to learn how to repair an amp, but then got too busy to devote any real time to it. So, I called an awesome local tech, Chris Madsen of Madtone, to get it working, but then we had the idea of turning into a wild hot-rodded JCM800. He rewired the preamp, added those caps, put a master volume on the rear, added a Fat-Boost switch to the front end (borrowed from his days at Morgan amps), added a Dumble style mids control, and finally he topped it off a big old transformer taken from a 70's fender twin.
It's super versatile in that it can go from sparkly British clean to Soldano levels of gain. It also has low end for days.
I am building a head shell for it now.

Last edited by horseblanket on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horseblanket

committed
committed

Postby odontophobia » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:04 pm

That Traynor sounds awesome.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Bass rig for the post metal band I started. I still need to figure out a reverb, an A/B/Y, fix my 800rb to replace the 3 Pro, and put speakers in the matching 412 to the 215 to run with it.

Ideally I’ll also run synth through the 800rb half so I’ll have to figure all of that out too, or I’m bringing another set of cabs.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby odontophobia » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:16 pm

I've been digging the Météore quite a bit for a lot of the post metal sounds but have 3 verbs at my disposal so it's hard to say what's most appropriate for you at a given time but I've been making that kind of music for a hot minute here and dig that and the verb from my Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII.
odontophobia

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BoatRich » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:23 pm

odontophobia wrote:I've been digging the Météore quite a bit for a lot of the post metal sounds but have 3 verbs at my disposal so it's hard to say what's most appropriate for you at a given time but I've been making that kind of music for a hot minute here and dig that and the verb from my Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII.

I had a Meteore for a minute and I loved it but hated that I couldn’t get rid of the pre delay. That might actually work better for this band? I was thinking a Supermoon Chrome or another RM-1n also so that’s a possibility.
BoatRich

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby adm307 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:46 am

New amp day for me: Verellen Model V. Running into a cab from a local builder (Pryor) with a mix of Weber Silver and Gray Wolves. This thing is absolutely devastating, and the clean channel is pristine. Running the Fuck into it creates what is arguably the best driven tone I’ve ever heard. This amp has honestly just left me speechless.
adm307

involved
involved

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear