Manx Loaghtan vs. Hoof

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Manx Loaghtan vs. Hoof

Postby Radiohead625 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:51 am

Ok so I have a Hoof fuzz, but i'm thinking of getting the Manx Loaghtan... would this be over kill? Which pedal do you think is better?
Radiohead625

committed
committed

Re: Manx Loaghtan vs. Hoof

Postby DuoSonicII » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 am

I A/B'd my Hoof and my guitarist's Manx on both guitar and bass - we both liked the Manx better for guitar and the Hoof better for bass...but your results may vary.

Would it be overkill to have both? Not necessarily. Though both Muff-based, they definitely have very distinct voices.
SPACERITUAL wrote:I had sex with another black girl last night. When i went to sleep i had a dream that thomas jefferson highfived me.

Good deals with: onthetundra, fuzzmax, starcastic, Lintybits
DuoSonicII

experienced
experienced

Postby oldangelmidnight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 am

As is the way with Muffs - you have to try them all then keep the 5 that you like best.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrmy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:59 am

In my opinion, it's only overkill if you have them set to cop the exact same tones. But even then, who knows, maybe you'll be stacking them or something?

It's only overkill if you think it is.

Oh, and also: overkill is never a bad thing on ILF. :p
I'm more like a mids-ist than a bassist.
"The main rule on ILF is don't be an asshole." - Tom Dalton
I can't wait to annoy the shit out of you with my mountain of mids. - bigchiefbc
https://thewirechimes.bandcamp.com/releases
http://crotchthrottle.bandcamp.com/
https://www.instagram.com/jrmyfuzz/
jrmy

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Wes Mantooth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

I used to have a Manx and it was pretty damn versatile, that bax tone stack can coop a ton of different tones!
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby hazelwould » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Haven't tried the Manx, but have played a Hoof and Pharaoh side by side. Pharaoh being the first production muff with the bax. So I assume there may be some overlap with the Manx.

Either way, I could get some Hoof with my Pharaoh and some Pharaoh with my Hoof. Overall the pharaoh could get bigger, but to make it more cutting you had to sacrifice the lows. With the Hoof I could have big AND cutting. And the bass was looser and sludgier on the Pharaoh and obviously tighter on the Hoof. Palm muting with ease.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Radiohead625 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:13 pm

Awesome thanks guys! I think i'm gonna wait and go after something else I just found... I think I found my secret overdrive pedal i've been looking for ;)
Radiohead625

committed
committed

Postby Gunner Recall » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:34 pm

I've got both and plan on keeping both (though I kinda want the new manx graphic, kinda reminds me of mastodon)

The hoof is a little looser, a little darker, a little meatier. Also does some great OD-ish type sounds.

The manx is tight as balls (can palm mute), with a grindy midrange (you can scoop it out if you like, but I think it sounds best with the mid hump).
The tone controls are ultra flexible, with max treble it's actually pretty trashy without sounding ice pick like a regular muff.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby Wes Mantooth » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:54 pm

Gunner Recall wrote:The manx is tight as balls (can palm mute), with a grindy midrange (you can scoop it out if you like, but I think it sounds best with the mid hump).
The tone controls are ultra flexible, with max treble it's actually pretty trashy without sounding ice pick like a regular muff.

I'd say this is the best description, had the same experience with mine.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Return to General Gear