· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
General Gear Discussion - effects, synths, etc.
Post a reply

whats the best fuzz for doom?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 am

I am starting a new pelican/sunn/nadja mixed up kinda heavy band. I have played the big muff/black russian muff/a few devi ever pedals (all kinda sucked)/ dwarfcraft internet and the huckleberry fuzz. None of those are doing it for me. I want boris tones here! How are the earthbound audio pedals? The twosome? Any earthquaker devices? :idk: Please give me feedback on what will bring the doom. thanks.

Re: whats the best fuzz for doom?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:54 am

tried a Devi Soda Meiser into a Boss ODB3 Bass Overdrive last night on guitar. It was pretty heavy.
Boris uses Big Muffs. Try a Triangle Big Muff, Civil War, or V1 Green. Wata uses a Triangle, an NYC, and a Boss DS1

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:09 am

I'm pretty sure that Boris has sported some Dwarfcraft over the years. Eau Claire Thunder or Baby Thundaa?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:11 am

skullservant wrote:tried a Devi Soda Meiser into a Boss ODB3 Bass Overdrive last night on guitar. It was pretty heavy.
Boris uses Big Muffs. Try a Triangle Big Muff, Civil War, or V1 Green. Wata uses a Triangle, an NYC, and a Boss DS1

What he said, also have a look at the Black Arts Pharaoh for another nice heavy muff variant.

I love the OP username and topic combo here. :!!!:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:17 am

jrmy wrote:I'm pretty sure that Boris has sported some Dwarfcraft over the years. Eau Claire Thunder or Baby Thundaa?

Wata - Shiva
Takeshi - both of the Thunders

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 am

I feel like this is my area of expertice! Hahaha.

I would say that you should try a Musket before you rule out muff's for your Doom tones. Most people that have given up on muff's usually love the Musket. Heavy as heck and cuts through the mix in a great way. It is also no one trick pony. Many sounds available here.

I would also reccomend the Earth Bound Audio Centurion(heavy fuzz face variant). I have come to love it! It rules for doom with a vintage Dist + behind it.

I just recently got a Creepy Fingers Double Beast and not that I expected it...... it is a damn box of doom for sure!!!!! Massiv volume and low end but capable of nasty splatty fuzz as well.

Of course all of the BAT pedals are made for such tones. I have them all and love them all.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:21 am

Pharaoh is a great option, although not SUPER high gain if that's what you're after. Muskets are simply awesome...one muff to rule them all.
Not to get ridiculous, but what era/album Boris are you looking towards? Wata does use BMPs, but it doesn't hurt that she's also typically using an Orange fullstack and a Matamp/similar thru an 8x10...

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:23 am

The B.A.T. Pharaoh or LSTR are great options.

Blackout Musket

MountainKing makes some incredible sounding stuff, never owned one myself.

Earthbound Audio's Supercollider and Centurion are killer.

EQD Hoof and Dirt Transmitter rule hard.

Creepy Fingers is another solid option.

The TAFM brings the low end heavies.

and so on and so on and so on.........lots of heavy fuzz out there......

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am

Top three i would recommend are the BAT LSTR + Pharaoh, and the Earthbound audio Supercollider. But i would also point out that for the heaviest tones, stacking pedals has always worked best for me. The pharaoh is a great pedal to have since it seems to love playing with other pedals unlike any other i've tried. The supercollider def has more gain but still seemed to be missing something. Combine the 2 together and :!!!: I do want to try the musket, the creepy fingers stuff, a tafm, and a mantra. As i have no actual experience with those. Also another thing worth mentioning especially with stacking, fuzz + od/dist seems to be a fav combo amongst doom heads (i use LSTR + OCD) as it seems to combine the girth and cut for heavy but audible in a live environment toanz.

*edit* You mentioned Sunn in your OP as an influence of this project. SOMA (Stephen O'Malley) uses a fuzz + dist combo. Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard Fuzz (rams head muff clone, builder is a member on here) into a vintage ProCo Rat for those gnar crank it to 13 tones.
Last edited by Ancient Astronaught on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 am

Foxx Tone Machine if you're after high gain nastiness.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 am

Green Sovtek + Super Hard On after = terrifying

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:16 am

brad posted this not too long ago

SRS EQ EXCITER

http://soundcloud.com/creepyfingerseffe ... eq-exciter

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:18 am

The Mountainking Megalith sounds like it was made for that sort of thing. But, Green Muffs in their various forms work well. The Swollen Pickle is good too, but it tends to mud up a little with really low tunings.

The Blackout Effectors Musket is also excellent.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for all the input. I have a bluebeard fuzz on hold, so that will be in the mix for sure. I think I'm going to go with a musket and a tafm also. Anyone have one for sale/trade?

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:26 am

doomfuzz wrote:Thanks for all the input. I have a bluebeard fuzz on hold, so that will be in the mix for sure. I think I'm going to go with a musket and a tafm also. Anyone have one for sale/trade?

Don't have a musket or tafm for s/t, but good choice on the bluebeard :thumb:
Post a reply