Noise Guru's... need some guidance....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Noise Guru's... need some guidance....

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:29 pm

All right, well me and a friend started up a new project that's kind of all over the place. We're combining elements of free jazz, ambient noise, drone, Sunn O))) style guitars, and all around just crazyness. I'm using an 8 string in a dropped tuning, and i'm trying to come up with pedal board ideas. At our improv show on friday i combined both my boards for a total of 5 fuzzes, 3 delays and a phaser. I've since moved 2 fuzzes and 1 delay to a smaller board for dedication to my main band, so i've got a Pedaltrain JR as a blank slate. I've got 3 fuzzes going on as my dirt, and a tuner. The rest is up in the air, my current idea is phaser, ring mod, and delay/reverb. I'm looking for effects that can compliment the guitar but can also be used basically as an analog synth so i can hit a drone note and tweak the pedals to achieve crazy and out there sounds. I'm looking for 3 to 4 total effects that can fit together on the top row of the PT JR. So hit me with your suggestions, ideas, and or resources.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Noise Guru's... need some guidance....

Postby hazelwould » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:47 pm

For controlled oscillation, there are a ton of fuzzes, and stand alone oscillators. One of the best oscillation fuzzes has been the 4545, imo. There are a ton of options on the 4545, and I'd email Brian to see what usable madness he could incorporate for you. The supersonic fuzz gun is actually pretty cool, but I had a hard time with the filter where it would be pretty dark and muddy.

The Ranger FX Frankenstein looks pretty badass as well.

Otherwise the EHX offerings might work well. HOG, FREEZE, RAVISH, or Cathedral. MTLSM has a new one with a freeze mode to freeze your arpeggio and add another dimension. You could also look at the Eventide Pitchfactor, and Space.

Also, there is the Particle delay by Red Panda.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Derelict78 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:56 pm

The Great Destroyer if your guitar is passive and you put it first in your chain you can control the oscillations with you volume and tone knobs.
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks my friend, As far as fuzzes im pretty set. I've been checking out what EHX has, i really like the HOG but its a bit pricey and takes up ALOT of real estate, i like the freeze but i want something with more functions, the ravish looks awesome and i really want to try one out, and the cathedral is awesome but i've got quite a few delays and reverbs all ready. I will def check out the particle delay, thanks for the recommendations!

Derelict78 wrote:The Great Destroyer if your guitar is passive and you put it first in your chain you can control the oscillations with you volume and tone knobs.

I've got an oscillating fuzz all ready, thanks for the recommendation though. I'm more looking for odd weird modulation effects.
Iommic Pope wrote:Skip, you rule. You hate people so much, you're willing to discredit all human progress, its awesome.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:59 pm

You NEED a feedback looper! It'll make any and everything oscillate.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:You NEED a feedback looper! It'll make any and everything oscillate.

I'm getting the hook up on a Total Sonic Annhilation, I know it works great with delays but what else works great in these loops?
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bob the r0bot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:04 pm

Track down a cosmichorus if you want some whacky modulation. If you or someone else are man enough, get some love-clone going.
In regards to feedback loopers: flangers generally work really well and, some fuzzes do wacky shit too but, you have to experiment.
soundcloud................https://soundcloud.com/datingsite
My vanity label.............https://newemotive.bandcamp.com/releases (new stuff added 12/4/16)

Check out my rack.........https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/178913
kusherment wrote:Weed is kushed by hitting other weed.
bob the r0bot

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:10 pm

bob the r0bot wrote: If you or someone else are man enough, get some love-clone going..

Meatball clones? Hmmmm, they sound interesting but wasnt quite sure how useful they would be.
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:You NEED a feedback looper! It'll make any and everything oscillate.

I'm getting the hook up on a Total Sonic Annhilation, I know it works great with delays but what else works great in these loops?

Modulation, non-oscillating fuzz, filters... if you put a wah and dirt in one you can use the wah to control the oscillation :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Derelict78 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm

hows that :p
aen wrote:Or I'll just use fuzz. Then Ill sound cool regardless.

Achtane wrote:Well, volcanoes are pretty fuckin' cool. Like I guess lava flows are doomy. Slow and still able to to melt your eardrums.
Derelict78

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bob the r0bot » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:11 pm

Ancient Astronaught wrote:
bob the r0bot wrote: If you or someone else are man enough, get some love-clone going..

Meatball clones? Hmmmm, they sound interesting but wasnt quite sure how useful they would be.

soundcloud................https://soundcloud.com/datingsite
My vanity label.............https://newemotive.bandcamp.com/releases (new stuff added 12/4/16)

Check out my rack.........https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/178913
kusherment wrote:Weed is kushed by hitting other weed.
bob the r0bot

Supporter
Supporter

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:12 pm

I'd say ring modulators and filter stuff is great for knob twiddling. It all depends on how much you want to spend, but if you want the recommendation without looking at moneyz, get a Moog Ring Modulator and an Ekdahl Moisturizer. Spring reverb as an added bonus.

If there are limits of expense I would recommend looking at some of our resident builders. I know LaoWiz and multi_s both make awesome stuff and are into noisier pedals.
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:13 pm

My McSpunckle plug/demo. He still makes them.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby Ancient Astronaught » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:18 pm

Derelict78 wrote:
hows that :p

This is the closest to what i'm looking for so far, keep em coming guys i gotta alot of videos to watch ;)
Ancient Astronaught

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby phantasmagorovich » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:24 pm

Lao Wiz:

Multi_s (Demoed by LaoWiz):
phantasmagorovich

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear