Good mics?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Good mics?

Postby behndy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:22 am

i don't know SHIT about mics. but i used a Beta58 for the room and a Beta52 for the kick drum. came out pretty good actually.

is the Beta stuff better than the usual Shure[insert number here] 'uns? or not much difference.
Eric! wrote:YOU'RE like having two pedals in one
with your...momentary fuck switch and all..

theactionindex wrote:QUADRACOCK BEHNDERFUCK

music, videos, in progress - http://www.youtube.com/c/behndy

okay, Plan B - PANICImage
behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:29 am

behndy wrote:i don't know SHIT about mics. but i used a Beta58 for the room and a Beta52 for the kick drum. came out pretty good actually.

is the Beta stuff better than the usual Shure[insert number here] 'uns? or not much difference.

clearer... brighter... less spiky.. better? that's up to you :idk:

I tend to use normal 57s for a lot :idk:LOVE the Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby dubkitty » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:38 am

i was given the 48 as a present. i'd have chosen a 58 if i'd bought it myself, but it was nice of my ex-wife to buy it for me back in the 90s.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby behndy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:05 am

yay! sorta thread hijack!

urm..... well...... i can still take the Beta58 back, got about 3 more weeks on the 30 day return. i paid $150 new for one. is there something better for doing a room recording of bass (i tune BEADGC), drums and eventually guitar? i don't know what i'm doing so it'd be nice to get the best for my monies.

around $150-$200 i guess?

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Schlatte » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:37 am

Audio-Technica ATM650 is pretty awesome. Just throwing that in there... but a big condenser mic would probably be better in your case!? :idk:
Good Deals with: All these fine people!

MOM-D Shark Tank is back! Open Source Designs for musical pleasure! Back in the Tank! Go check it out!
Schlatte

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby The4455 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 pm

For Behndy:

For room mics's for bass? or bass mics in general, the electro Voice re-20 or the new 320 are awesome, The Beta 58 is a vocal mics so go and return since it will not do any instrument any justice (besides acoutsic guitar) also all beta series mics are a step up from the Sm series but they also require phantom power (48 volts) to operate, even though they aren't condesnsers. For Bass it really depends, if you like scooped mids, a beta 52 kick mic, if you like really intense mids, a akg d112, if you like a really falt big osund (like JPJ) then an Audix D6 would do the job, all of those paired with an sm-57 or beta 57 for a tighter sound, as well as when recording I always mix the mic'd sound the the d.i. signal. For room mics, any large diaphragm condesner would be fine, I have a studio projects b-2 that I like alot, sounds great, and take up to around 130 db before distortion, I'd use that or a sterling audio St-51.
"The future is the past not yet written!"
The4455

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:29 pm

cool. thanks! i'll look into those.

sounds like the B-2 or the ST-51 would fit what i need better. i have a Shure52 for bass recordings at home that i like (seems to handle fuzz and nasty stuff really well?), i just want something i can leave at practice as a "get ideas down" room mic.

i'm an idiot about mics.... i'm running into a Motu 828mkII right now, but i don't really know the difference between condenser or dynamic mics. or what's better in what application.

thanks!

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby The4455 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:40 pm

A dynamic mic, like an sm-57, are mostly used live because of thier high resistance to sound levels (spl level) and their durability. Condensers are much more sensitive microphones that are warmer sounding and more "transparent." The difference between dynamics and condsers (or ribbons for that matter) is almost the same as the difference between a solid state and a tube amp.

If you need a mic to leave at practice, obviously not a very expensive one, but still sounds good, I'd reccomend either sterling or mxl large diaphragm condesner mics. Sterlings are a bit better but in a practice space it's only going to be marginal in sound differences. Mxl has a bunch of packages too for $100 that are a small diaphragm condesner (for overheads for drums or acoustic guitars) and a large diaphragm condenser mic (for just about anything).

The only real way is to try a bunch of different ones and see what you like. CAUTION: guitar center doesn't have microphone returns, period. And they only buy mint condition microphones, it's a sanitary issue. So with that in mind, try and find as many demos before you buy so you don't spend alot and are stuck with a pos mic.
"The future is the past not yet written!"
The4455

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby behndy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:32 am

hurm. that's annoying. i didna know they don't return mics. the plan was to take the Beta58 back and get a ST-51.

so, condenser mics need phantom power? what happens if you run phantom power into the wrong one? does it fry it? my 828 has a switch for +48...... should that only be switched on for the ones that need phantom power?

sorry about all the questions, total git here.

thanks!

behndy

Supporter
Supporter

Postby modernage » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 am

behndy wrote:hurm. that's annoying. i didna know they don't return mics. the plan was to take the Beta58 back and get a ST-51.

so, condenser mics need phantom power? what happens if you run phantom power into the wrong one? does it fry it? my 828 has a switch for +48...... should that only be switched on for the ones that need phantom power?

sorry about all the questions, total git here.

thanks!

Yeah, that really should only be used with condenser mics. Wouldn't do anything to a dynamic, but is a definite no-no with ribbon mics... unless you have a Royer 122, but who here has that kind of money to spend on a mic when there are alway more fuzz pedals to buy?
modernage

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby dniederkorn » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:20 am

CAD Equitec E100 you can find them used for about 100-150 bucks. I have used them for almost everything I wouldnt recommend them for a snare drum but for bass drums they work really well.
dniederkorn

involved
involved

Postby D.o.S. » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:37 pm

cheap PZMs.

Good enough for Comets on Fire, good enough for you!
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:41 pm

soundboy.massacre wrote:I just got one of these...http://www.mercenary.com/smmiwitatr.html
it's a shure sm57 with an upgraded transformer that doesn't roll off the highs and upper mids under load.
trust me, it's bitchin'

I want this badly to pair with my E609!
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby jumbo_steelie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 am

MXL makes a cheap ribbon mic that records great. Tried it with bass and guitar with successes....
jumbo_steelie

committed
committed

Previous

Return to General Gear