The headsup sweet shit on ebay thread....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: The headsup sweet shit on ebay thread....

Postby echorec » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

http://www.ebay.com

Pay for your item by 9:00 PM Pacific Time [Midnight EST] on June 29, 2018

echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dugwolf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:32 am

echorec wrote:http://www.ebay.com

Pay for your item by 9:00 PM Pacific Time [Midnight EST] on June 29, 2018

I haven’t used these eBay discounts yet. I don’t get how they can do it. If their fee is like 10% and they offer a 15% discount how do they make any money?
dugwolf

committed
committed

Postby omarwhite » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:40 am

Today’s deal is 20%
omarwhite

committed
committed

Postby echorec » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:34 pm

dugwolf wrote:I haven’t used these eBay discounts yet. I don’t get how they can do it. If their fee is like 10% and they offer a 15% discount how do they make any money?

It doesn't impact the seller's profits, because the sellers aren't discounting the items. The discount comes via eBay. It's just a tax write-off promotion to encourage traffic.

As far as selling on there, it's really more like 12% after eBay/PayPal fees. Whereas Reverb is about 6%. I no longer sell on eBay, but these sales codes definitely help with certain items/sellers. Antique places & pawn shops still use eBay, so it can be a good place for used gear like pedals, drum machines, and odds & ends.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jirodreamsofdank » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:29 pm

Ebay's been hurt by other markets (Amazon FBA, Reverb, Facebook Marketplace, etc.), they're using these discounts as a loss leader to try to recoup some users.

I keep missing out on them as a seller - somehow they always pop up when I'm between listing sessions.
jirodreamsofdank

experienced
experienced

Postby repoman » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:19 pm

echorec wrote:
dugwolf wrote:I haven’t used these eBay discounts yet. I don’t get how they can do it. If their fee is like 10% and they offer a 15% discount how do they make any money?

It doesn't impact the seller's profits, because the sellers aren't discounting the items. The discount comes via eBay. It's just a tax write-off promotion to encourage traffic.

As far as selling on there, it's really more like 12% after eBay/PayPal fees. Whereas Reverb is about 6%. I no longer sell on eBay, but these sales codes definitely help with certain items/sellers. Antique places & pawn shops still use eBay, so it can be a good place for used gear like pedals, drum machines, and odds & ends.

Ebay changed their fees for music instruments to match Reverbs fees about a year and a half ago. Dunno if they have lots of shitty hidden fees though.
F U T U R E G A M E R
repoman

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Psyre » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:01 pm

echorec wrote:

I'm still suprised at how many more sales I get via ebay than reverb, even if I increase the price on ebay. Just seems to be way more of a buyer base. The decreased music item fees are noticeable. Ebay's billing system is way less forceful. I've had reverb lock my account if I didn't pay the invoice within 2 days of receiving. Ebay on the other hand is totally lax and gives a clear due date, opposed to reverb's "DUE RaIGHT MEOW" policy.

I think a big reason why items sell quicker on ebay for me is the imposed time limit, I'd like reverb to add 5-10 day limits, even without the auction format.
Psyre

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby echorec » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Psyre wrote:I'm still suprised at how many more sales I get via ebay than reverb, even if I increase the price on ebay. Just seems to be way more of a buyer base. The decreased music item fees are noticeable. Ebay's billing system is way less forceful. I've had reverb lock my account if I didn't pay the invoice within 2 days of receiving. Ebay on the other hand is totally lax and gives a clear due date, opposed to reverb's "DUE RaIGHT MEOW" policy.

I think a big reason why items sell quicker on ebay for me is the imposed time limit, I'd like reverb to add 5-10 day limits, even without the auction format.

Hmm. There are certainly different cultures and expectations, despite a lot of demographical overlap. There are some items I simply won't sell on Reverb. Good luck putting up a 10-year old, $40 pedal on Reverb. It might sit for a year. The same item might sell on eBay in less than 24 hrs, even though your asking price had to be raised. ----Or try listing an expensive rarity on Reverb. You could put an item on Reverb for $700 and it will sit for 6 months, but jack it up to $800 and it might sell on eBay in a week's time.

I've never had your problem on Reverb. When my seller fees are due, I think it takes 7 or 8 days, before a red alert bar pops up on the top of the browser. I always pay it then to make that go away, so I'm not sure how much longer I'd get before an account freeze. I'm a preferred seller, though, so that may also impact this practice (dunno).

I was thrilled when Reverb came along. As someone who has used eBay for about 20 years, I was disgusted with their customer service (they didn't publish their phone number for years & when you did reach them, they seemed to focus exclusively on buyer protection. they never cared about protecting sellers against scammers). The fee hikes really pissed me off. For sellers, the eBay experience got worse & worse, yet the costs continued to rise. On the buying end, I had to get PayPal or Synchrony involved multiple times, because eBay wouldn't back me up on items that were grossly misrepresented. I fucking hate eBay, and I try to avoid them unless it's a specialty item that's more likely to sell to an overseas buyer.

Time limit? I always pay same-day/next day, so I have no idea what eBay's current stipulations are. I had no idea they weren't doing 48/72(?) hours anymore.

One thing I do not like about Reverb is that buyers can't cancel their offers. If I put in an offer and the seller just sits on it for 16 hrs, then I should be able to cancel and buy it from someone else. ----From a seller's perspective I get it, you want to wait for better offers to come along, but I also think we're living in 2018 and 16 hrs is a fucking eternity, when you're dying to get a new pedal before a promotion ends.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:43 pm

echorec wrote:seller fees

Now I feel better about never selling anything on Reverb.
Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:01 pm

jrfox92 wrote:
echorec wrote:seller fees

Now I feel better about never selling anything on Reverb.

You thought it was free?
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jrfox92 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:27 pm

Yeah.
That's what I thought.
I thought it was totally free.

Not that seller fees were calculated and paid automatically upon receiving payment from a buyer.

Since I always forget:

Inconuucl wrote:You can't kill Strymon, it'll just resurrect 3 days later.

BitchPudding wrote:Despite all my rage, I am still just eating tacos in a cage.

Inconuucl wrote:Welcome to ilf, we have three jokes and twelve posters. <3
jrfox92

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby echorec » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:00 pm

jrfox92 wrote:Yeah.
That's what I thought.

Not that seller fees were calculated and paid automatically upon receiving payment from a buyer.

You may want to buy a sarcasm meter, before trying to use a sarcasm projector.
echorec

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby whoismarykelly » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:45 pm

jrfox92 wrote:Yeah.
That's what I thought.

If you have direct checkout set up for your shop that's how it works. But if you just accept paypal and don't take payments with Reverb as the processor they will invoice you for your fees at the end of the month.
whoismarykelly

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby MechaGodzilla » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:32 am

korg monopoly in the uk. raging synthboner for this one.
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dandolin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:10 am

We're on this, right?

http://reverb.com/item/12110249-rare-one-of-a-kind-inuktitut-hand-marked-and-signed-telecaster-style-body

Rare One of a kind Inuktitut Hand Marked and Signed Telecaster Style Body
By Unbranded

Only 1 available
$3,500
$1,800 + $25 Shipping

"Must see pictures to witness the rarity"
"In a moment of unparalleled genius, Noel Parachute headed off this potential disaster by unplugging the microphone."
Dandolin

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear