MXR Blue Box

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: MXR Blue Box

Postby Rob Fossil » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:03 pm

I like the Blue Box for guitar but it really shines on noise synths. You can get really fat bass lines with it or just go for glitchy leads. It leaves a lot to be desired on bass though, so I swapped it out on my bass board with the Guyatone MO-3, which I got from Musician's Friend on clearance for $50. The MO-3 does both 1 and 2 octaves down and has a external trim pot to add or decrease the fuzz. I put it in the chain before my 3Xfx Fatman and the two pedals stack really well. You can find them used for under $100 so it's a good alternative to the Blue Box. I would also like to try a Catailnbread Perseus, which is their updated take on the Bluebox.
Good B/S/T dealings with: univalve, DannDubbleEwe, Shish, ThePastRecedes, GiAnt_ROboT, chutneyfarmer, Muse FTW, robapov, skullservant, MaxMaps, psychedelicrelic, guitarslinger21, space6oy, theshoegazer, bongoben, osbornkt
Rob Fossil

experienced
experienced

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:10 pm

theavondon wrote:or, buzzbox in theory.

Bluebox>RAT: sounds better and easier to get hold of. Or... just get a robot devil :thumb: I'm going to have to do a demo of that soon.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:46 am

the bluebox is rad. there is a volume drop when you engage it, but the way i used it i found the subs were more what i was using it for anyway... and those punched through a live mix well.
i found the straight fuzz tone to be a bit unusual, but in an awesome way.

you can always do the C11 mod. it's 100% idiot-proof (unless you wanna throw that switch in there...) the character of the pedal changes but i think it's worth it. kinda cleans things up a bit and definitely gives you more volume. oh yeah i think i sold mine.
well i guess, but i just don't know.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am

I will say that if you use one on bass you're definitely going to experience some low-end loss at "useable" settings.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:21 am

D.o.S. wrote:I will say that if you use one on bass you're definitely going to experience some low-end loss at "useable" settings.

Not if you run it into another octaver :thumb:
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby D.o.S. » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:26 am

You sir, are a sneaky bitch.

And for that, I salute you.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:36 am

Nothing matches it in smoothness. Yeah there are a lot of awesome -2 octave fuzzes to get, but they're not as smooth. They seem to focus on the glitchy aspect of it and the unpredictability of it. But what makes the Blue Box special to me is the actual fuzz tone built in. Nice, low end, short decay, stays in the background fuzz. Stacks great, and I always used it to thicken up rhythm guitar parts in recordings.

Mix in the octave ever so slightly, and put it before a muff-like fuzz and it's the smoothest shit to come out of your amp.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Wizard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:37 am

I modded mine the way VDP did, C11 mod. I love the sweet synthlike smoothness in normal mode, but the C11 mod gives you crazy harmonic 5th shit, octave glitches all over the fucking place and the coolest fucking tone in your entire school.

I bought the pedal when i was 16 because my friend told me sonic youth used it.

you can get one used on ebay for like 50$, it's BEYOND worth it.
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Previous

Return to General Gear