working at GC......

Moderator: Ghost Hip

working at GC......

Postby darryl2113 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:55 pm

Well, I have been at it for about 2 weeks now, and so far I feel pretty close to quiting.I thought it was bad dealing with them from a customer's stand point, its been about 5 times worse working with them. Not everyone is terrible, but most of the ones I have to work with are most of the time.

The only real thing that was keeping hope alive was that employee discount, which I found out doesn't really kick in until 3 months. Not to mention that 95% of the stuff there I could give 2 shits about(excluding the recording equipment of course). I can really see why the company has a 90% turnover.It is just really hard to deal with 25+ year olds who act like 14 year old Bam Margera clones. Not to mention the fact that it is hard to work under people who are totally fucking clueless about how to actually "manage" a department in a professional manner. Maybe if I hadn't been a supervisor for 2 years I wouldn't know that is what the problem is.

I can't relate to anyone there. I thought I would meet all these musicians, but only found out that I am meeting the ones that I would rather not meet. I really wish I hadn't lost my last job, I really feel like I have fucked up supreme. Now my only hope is a girl that works in the drum department that might play drums for me. Of course she is amazing and interesting and of course all this does is insure that it won't work out, nothing good has.

So the next time you have to go into a Guitar Center and you really get rubbed the wrong way, just remember, at least you don't work there. ;)
darryl2113

committed
committed

Re: working at GC......

Postby LowWoods » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:09 pm

Oh no! Sorry it's not working out, bro! I gotta call from GC when I filled out the online application when I was living in Los Angeles! I moved to Shreveport instead :idk:

Perhaps the right choice, then again :idk:

That's the theme of my life - :idk:

What's you location?
http://www.soundclick.com/lowwoods

myspace.com/lowwoods

"My theory is that music is good, it's the only religion that delivers the goods. And anybody who wants to hear any kind of music is entitled to hear that music because it's good for you – it makes you feel good. If you like it, go for it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything – it's a matter of personal taste."

-Frank Zappa
LowWoods

committed
committed

Postby darryl2113 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:17 pm

memphis
darryl2113

committed
committed

Postby LowWoods » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:40 pm

Oh yes, how soon I forget our past convo...

a bit tipsy I am :yay:
http://www.soundclick.com/lowwoods

myspace.com/lowwoods

"My theory is that music is good, it's the only religion that delivers the goods. And anybody who wants to hear any kind of music is entitled to hear that music because it's good for you – it makes you feel good. If you like it, go for it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything – it's a matter of personal taste."

-Frank Zappa
LowWoods

committed
committed

Postby metalmariachi » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Sadly every time GC gets some one who knows any thing at all working there, they quit within a year.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby glitch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Not only that.... I got to be enough of a regular customer at one GC back in the early 90's, that I'd sometimes come in to kill time chatting with the floor manager. He confided in me that one of the other problems is that once somebody gets close to the seniority level where profit sharing/retirement benefits kick in (at that time, around 5-7 years in the company), they conveniently are found to commit some random infraction and fired.

Although he said he didn't think that really was the case, but rather something entirely unrelated -- a weird coincidence. He had only minor concerns, since he was going to hit that mark in a couple of months himself. However, two months later, GC kicked him off staff, and I never saw him again.

Kinda hard to run a business well, when you keep canning your most senior and experienced employees so you won't have to pay them more.

-- glitch.@#$%!
_______
"I want to keep you alive so there is always the possibility of murder... later"

Devi-esque: E13 TBD, Torn's Peaker, Feed Back Loop Oscillator, Synth Mangler; Devi OK, BIT, ND, 25, 05/25, Hype, US, JP, PEEP's
glitch

involved
involved

Postby starcastic » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:43 am

Every time I go into Guitar Center:

Hyper-active Goateed Guitar Center Dude:
"Hey bro! Saw you scoping the Zakk Wylde Les Paul a minute ago. What'd ya think? Nice action on her?"

Seriously, it's happened on two different occasions now. Almost phrased word-for-word from 2 (count 'em... TWO) different hyper-active goateed Guitar Center dudes. I've never "scoped" anything of the sort!

Also, I gave them a classic TV-style KL5-XXXX phone number when they asked me for my personal information (and gave me the random cavity search) while purchasing a set of strap locks. The cashier girl didn't even flinch.

That place is truly a nightmare from a customer standpoint. I'll never go there again.
starcastic

experienced
experienced

Postby darryl2113 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah, I guess there is definitely no shortage of web pages and forum threads devoted to the hatred of of GC(which should tell them something...).Sadly, I did my research after I set up the interview. My plan now is to try to get another job on top of this one asap, then whenver the discount kicks in, take them to the cleaners...... $15 mogami cables, here I come!
darryl2113

committed
committed

Postby Ghost Hip » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:22 pm

When I visited my Dad in Arizona there were two guitar centers. From my few impressions of Guitar Center it's really what I want in a Guitar Store (as far as there's a motherload of stuff to try out). However, I can't relate to any salesperson I've met. Also since I'm eighteen they think I'm going to break everything. Which led to an unpleasant incident with a Double Cut Les Paul.

The guys that were in the effects department were pretty friendly though....
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby Antero » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:35 pm

A motherload of largely mids-ass poorly set up and badly maintained gear to try out before flipping them the bird and going somewhere non-shitty.

Man, even the flagship GC in LA on Sunset is all shite, all the time.
http://myspace.com/leopoldandloebchicago
Look out, honey, 'cause I'm using technology
Antero

committed
committed

Postby hatshirt » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:31 pm

look for some custom shop Breedlove acoustics in the GC you are at, i built and bound those motherfuckers.
hatshirt

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby metalmariachi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 pm

PumpkinPieces wrote:When I visited my Dad in Arizona there were two guitar centers. From my few impressions of Guitar Center it's really what I want in a Guitar Store (as far as there's a motherload of stuff to try out). However, I can't relate to any salesperson I've met. Also since I'm eighteen they think I'm going to break everything. Which led to an unpleasant incident with a Double Cut Les Paul.

The guys that were in the effects department were pretty friendly though....

Years ago I took my son, then 12, into Southworth's.
He was looking at a beat up Les Paul special.
Gill Southworth walked over, took a beautiful '58 off the wall and handed it to him.
Said " I think you'll like this one".

thats my kind of music store.

Keith
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ambientswelling » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 am

I have worked in a retail mom and pop music store for about 3 years now. Which unfortunately, by bad decisions by the owners, has turned to shit..... but anyway.. I was thinking about applying at the GC in town here, (Madison) but I didn't feel that I was quite ready to highlight my hair or get 13 ear piercings that seem to be required to work there.

seriously, the store is filled with clones. Do they require to you to dress and talk like a douche? It must be part of the training. On several different occasions I have had this conversation with the same guy who didn't remember me.

GC Douche: "Hey bro hows it going today."
Me trying to look at the used Moog Ring Modulator in the case: "I'm doing alright. You?"
GC Douche: "Alright, you know, work at a music store. Can't complain."

Cant complain?! I can't stand being in there for 30 mins as a customer, if I had to try to show someone the sound clarity that you get from an American Standard Strat compared to a MM, and couldn't turn the fucking loud ass music down, I would go nuts.

:mad:
ambientswelling

uncommitted
uncommitted

Return to General Gear