better than the EHX Freeze

Moderator: Ghost Hip

better than the EHX Freeze

Postby Gearmond » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:17 am

just found out about this company, and they put out some pretty neat stuff for relatively cheap prices. based in europe, so i dunno if they ship to the US, but if I can get a decent reverb AND a freeze for roughly 170-ish, that sounds like a decent deal to me.
,':{I> ... your move, Trebek.

http://gearmond.bandcamp.com/

my music for you to put in your earholes :joy:
Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: better than the EHX Freeze

Postby dubkitty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:30 am

when i first saw their site i thought the input/output impedance on their stuff was odd; having seen a wider variety of stuff it's not so weird. the thing i do wonder is if the typical guitar signal is going to provide a consistent 10k ohm or greater signal as the specs recommend. but maybe i understand this stuff all wrong.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Muse FTW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:13 am

Yeah I saw this a while ago but wondered why they aren't that popular over here or at TGP...
Muse FTW

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Gunner Recall » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am

It doesn't have the multiple decay/latch modes which are really handy...and the sample/resolution rate isn't as high as the freeze.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:52 am

dubkitty wrote:when i first saw their site i thought the input/output impedance on their stuff was odd; having seen a wider variety of stuff it's not so weird. the thing i do wonder is if the typical guitar signal is going to provide a consistent 10k ohm or greater signal as the specs recommend. but maybe i understand this stuff all wrong.

your guitar passive pickups will always measure between 5k and 15k RESISTANCE at the output jack. the output impedance of a guitar however is more like 3M on average. thats why guitar amps try to get a 3M or higher input impedance. they want the amp to be higher than the signal coming in. that 10k spec is correct for the resistance but totally not right as an impedance spec. they should just tell you it works with acoustic electric (they all have batteries) like he used in the video. anyway, a LPB in front will bring the impedance way down and it will work fine.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dubkitty » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:18 am

from what i can gather, the reason these pedals aren't better known/"more popular" may be that the guy who makes them is a small builder located in Lithuania and as such may have some difficulty getting people to order stuff due to long shipping times or other uncertainties. personally, i rather like the idea because i came up in Chicago around a lot of Lithuanian immigrants. i just haven't seen anything i need so badly that i need to have it shipped in from the Baltic.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:18 pm

not trying to rain on your new found pedal lust but it does sound like a digital delay after a reverb pedal. you can get any digital delay to loop if you crank the feedback up to %100. some pedals even have a loop mode and a tap tempo. what really bothers me about this pedal is no tap tempo. so you cant really use it as a looper. just reverbed tails of chords that have no time signature. its a good idea with limited applications.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:37 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:not trying to rain on your new found pedal lust but it does sound like a digital delay after a reverb pedal. you can get any digital delay to loop if you crank the feedback up to %100. some pedals even have a loop mode and a tap tempo. what really bothers me about this pedal is no tap tempo. so you cant really use it as a looper. just reverbed tails of chords that have no time signature. its a good idea with limited applications.

Wait, wut? Tap tempo? This isn't supposed to used like a delay pedal. It is supposed to freeze or hold a note indefinitely. Yes, it is accomplished via an extremely short delay, but this isn't a looper in any other sense than that it is is creating an infinite loop of just a few ms time. There isn't supposed to be any audible delay point where you can hear it repeat.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gearmond » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

its not really supposed to be a looper though, so thats really not a problem. and tbh i never found the appeal in tap tempo, if its slightly off, that makes it more interesting

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:53 pm

bigchiefbc wrote:this isn't a looper in any other sense than that it is is creating an infinite loop of just a few ms time. There isn't supposed to be any audible delay point where you can hear it repeat.

yes it does crossfade and I think that is absolutely brilliant. I would like it more if it did not have reverb but it did have a control for sharp or long crossfade. I can do it in software only.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gearmond » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:06 pm

i like it because of the reverb. its big, psychadelic, and doesn't sound half bad, and depending on how the hold works, it'd be how i use the freeze anyway. even if it just works like a piano's sustain pedal, thats still worth it.

it'd be interesting to see if this pedal came first, or the freeze/hog

Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby bigchiefbc » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:29 pm

Gearmond wrote:i like it because of the reverb. its big, psychadelic, and doesn't sound half bad, and depending on how the hold works, it'd be how i use the freeze anyway. even if it just works like a piano's sustain pedal, thats still worth it.

it'd be interesting to see if this pedal came first, or the freeze/hog

The HOG has been out for at least 5 years, if not more. I remember first hearing about it in '06 I think.
Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:40 pm

MAJOR BOANZ
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 pm

the freeze is more of a granular synthesis. the loop window is very small but they did all the R&D to make formant artifacts less noticeable
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Why not just go for the Hold2?
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to General Gear