New mexi jags and jazzmasters!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: New mexi jags and jazzmasters!

Postby aen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:58 am

The musang bridge helps, but does not solve the string jumping problem. Come tax return time Im getting a new fender, or Squier duosonic. Im actually jonesing for a jag more than a JM. Jazzmastrs ae so damn BIG!
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LowWoods » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:07 am

Dang man, there is an original 1966 Fender Duosonic on ebay!
http://www.soundclick.com/lowwoods

myspace.com/lowwoods

"My theory is that music is good, it's the only religion that delivers the goods. And anybody who wants to hear any kind of music is entitled to hear that music because it's good for you – it makes you feel good. If you like it, go for it. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean anything – it's a matter of personal taste."

-Frank Zappa
LowWoods

committed
committed

Postby dronemachine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:06 am

:eek:
Nice guitar!Is it a custom shop model?
dronemachine

committed
committed

Postby Soul Power » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:39 pm

NewarkWilder wrote:i think its just the latest in the signature series a la the j. mascis JM from last year... I looooooove the finish on this one though, almost bought a mascis one last year but i couldnt deal with the purple sparkle, hah. but its USA made and has improvements in the tremolo as per elvis's tweaking... besides that i think its identical to the '62 reissues aside from the walnut finish. but damn i love it. of course i'll have to get a custom pickguard but its a thing of beauty as is.

Hahaha I know what you mean about the purple sparkle. I would rather be remembered for being a good guitar player, then be that guy with the cool coloured guitar.

As you mentioned it turns out the whole guitar is pretty much the same apart from the few tweaks i.e tremolo arm bent the other way and the spring loosened within the tail piece. I personally don't understand the concept of a signature series unless I'm in a covers band.
Soul Power

involved
involved

Postby Lintybits » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:29 pm

The Costello is sweet - I played that and the MIM Jazzmaster yesterday. Very nice guitar, more than I can afford but I think you'll be happy with it :thumb:

Have to say I was really impressed with the MIM JM, so much so that I may have to pick one up. There's something about the neck on the Mexican fenders that I like. Never played a Fender I was happy with until I found the MIM strat that's become my main guitar.
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby Ghost Hip » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:39 pm

I can totally see the reason to buy a signature series, especially if its a good guitar. However I can agree in terms of the SRV strat, I wouldn't want a Giant SRV logo stamped on my guitar. I guess it all depends on the reason you started playing guitar.
Youtube Channel?

mr. sound boy king wrote:Organic apples are not normal, they are special, like analog, whereas normal apples, like digital, taste sterile and lack warmth.

friendship wrote:y u h8 swoosh woosh
Ghost Hip

Postby masked elwood » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:09 pm

in many cases the signature model guitar have that small detail that could appeal to anyone.
in the case of fenders it's usually the neck profile and the pickup/electronics layout.
i actually have a srv strat, a jeff beck strat, and a jerry donahue tele.
the SRV strat has a very comfortable fat strat neck with a light super glue rubbed finish on the neck (at least they did when they first came out). the pickups are texas specials, which were the first good fender pickups in years.....of coarse i burnt the finish off, changed that silly pickguard and put a sticker over the signature. i don't own a SVR recording btw.
the jeff beck strat has the biggest neck ever put on a strat (for the first 3 years, they had to change it because it was too big and no one was buying them). it also came with a different pickup configuration, with the middle pickup 1/4 inch closer to the neck. the pickups were lace sensors with a double in the lead position. ....once again, burnt the finish off, changed the electronic to a stock strat. now i do like jeff beck but it wasn't the reason i bought the guitar.
the jerry donahue tele neck is once again a huge "V" profile. i just took the neck off and sold the rest. i have never even heard jerry donahue play guitar. lol the neck is incredible.

anyway.........signature guitars can be nice and even the strangest model may just have some detail that makes it worth it. that courtney love japanese fender..."the venus"...i always thought that was kool too.

i love mustangs but never got along with the jazzmaster or jaguar. i've owned 3 jags, a 65, 66, and a 67 but could never get them to work for me.....string popping off...i play too loud and they feedback in the wrong way for me to control it. i have no problems with strats, teles, or mustangs...it sorta pisses me off as i love the look of a candy apple red beat to shit jag. fuk...i think that's one of the sharpest looking guitars around.
oh well....

elwd
masked elwood

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tigerdriver » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:12 pm

just FYI, i have owned a 1962 jazzmaster forever, no mustang bridge or neck shims or any of that junk, and it has NO problems. and I have owned other jazzmasters and jaguars with the mods which CAUSED problems. the new ones just don't seem to come out of the factory set up properly, with strings that are too light...that makes a huge difference but isn't hard to fix.
tigerdriver

committed
committed

Postby zigorin999 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:01 am

The purple sparkle on the J Mascis is so awesome. I can't believe Fender would actually put out a guitar like that. I could see why some people hate it, but purple is my favorite color so it's like a dream guitar to me.
zigorin999

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby zigorin999 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:09 pm

NewarkWilder wrote:the sparkle finish was definitely awesome, but im just not into the purple. i can totally see how a lot of people would be though. woulda been cool for them to do a red and a blue to go along with it or something, i probably woulda bought one

oh well. get my costello in about a week! fuck yeah!

The Costello jazzmaster is amazing, I just wish I could afford it.
zigorin999

uncommitted
uncommitted

Previous

Return to General Gear