Black BMP or Manx Loaghtan

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Black BMP or Manx Loaghtan

Postby shardy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:16 am

Hey guys. Any1 tried the two? Can The manx Loaghtan do stuff like black sovtek BMP?
I really would love to buy me a manx loaghtan to replace the BIG sovtek big muff on my
board but I love the sound of the Blacky. Can manx do the HUGE bassy fuzz?
Tnx
... Orange ... The love of my life ... Hope my darlin doesnt read this ...
shardy

involved
involved

Re: Black BMP or Manx Loaghtan

Postby Radiohead625 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:59 pm

i'd like to know more about this as well. :snax:
Radiohead625

committed
committed

Postby maz91379 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 am

why do you want something new to replace something you already have and love?
IEatCats wrote: That dude needs a beard and a sad demeanor.
maz91379

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby shardy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:09 am

True What you say... but I got a good deal on manx and was wandering If it could do
Blacky because its smaaaaaaler :) ...
shardy

involved
involved

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

I don't think the Manx excels at darker bassy fuzz on it's own. With my Sparkle Motion used as a dark boost though... :evil:

I feel the bass gets too boomy cranked up on the Manx instead of getting darker. It certainly doesn't have the bass of my Eau Claire Thunder.

Also it should be noted I have no experience with a Black BMP, I'm just going off the fact that you want huge and bassy and I feel the Manx has plenty of bass on tap but I feel there are pedals that do the huge and bassy thing better.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby fishballs » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:44 pm

Wes Mantooth wrote:I don't think the Manx excels at darker bassy fuzz on it's own. With my Sparkle Motion used as a dark boost though... :evil:

I feel the bass gets too boomy cranked up on the Manx instead of getting darker. It certainly doesn't have the bass of my Eau Claire Thunder.

Also it should be noted I have no experience with a Black BMP, I'm just going off the fact that you want huge and bassy and I feel the Manx has plenty of bass on tap but I feel there are pedals that do the huge and bassy thing better.

Trick with the Manx is to look at the tone stack as if takes a big muff tone control and splits it into two independent controls. In order for the Manx to get darker when turning up the bass, you gotta roll back the treble. One of these days I will finish writing the manual for it. I have a lot of explanation to do about that rig... Some of it I've realized isn't entirely intuitive. That is the trouble with designing something, you take for granted that folks aren't in yr head. :)
fishballs

interested
interested

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:17 pm

I actually was playing with it right after I wrote my post and found a nice sweet spot :thumb:

Definitely getting the best tones out of it right now, it's a bit different than my ECT but I think the two compliment each other quite well.

Ill post a picture of my favorite setting later

to the OP, I think you'll be quite satisfied with this fuzz. It's more versatile than other muff based fuzzes that I have played as well
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby shardy » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm

Ill try and the we will see ;) .... ill post my thoughts here :)
shardy

involved
involved

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm doing a review of the Sparkle Motion (and I'll be boosting the Manx with it) today so I'll record my favorite setting for you and see what you think :thumb:

Also I have a review here with some clips: http://effectswire.blogspot.com/2011/05 ... eview.html
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby shardy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 am

wes im a big fan of you blog so i seen it all ;) .
keep on keepin on ;)
shardy

involved
involved

Postby Wes Mantooth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:48 pm

So in this clip I loved the tone I got from the Manx and thought I would share it here. Keep in my mind my recording set up sucks so everything is too compressed for my taste. It does at least give you an idea but it really fills up the room in person :animal:
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby The4455 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:02 pm

I've played both, adn both can deliver amazing tones, both are pretty comprable to each other, the one advantage to the manx loaghtan is that it has it's jacks on the side and a 9 volt adapter, the bmp has op mounted jacks and has no adapter, either battery only or a one spot adapter. So for me the manx is a winner. The main thing is that a used bmp is alot less than a new or used manx, so it really boils down to what you can afford.
"The future is the past not yet written!"
The4455

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to General Gear