Basic Audio Tourbox Video Demo

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Basic Audio Tourbox Video Demo

Postby tibbon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:41 am

Feedback appreciated. Watch in HD and on good speakers if possible. Subscriptions always even more appreciated :)
tibbon

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Basic Audio Tourbox Video Demo

Postby Wes Mantooth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:30 pm

Sounds good! Really high quality recording, wish I was able to attain that level of quality for my reviews.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kosta » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Great demos!
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tibbon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:49 pm

The main keys really are just

1) Good lighting. Even a non-HD cam will look much better if there's good lighting (and a tripod of course). A few ghetto shop lights even can do wonders. You can buy 500 watt bulbs that will fit in any socket for like $8 each (they only last 2-3 hours and can start fires... watch out!)
2) Good sound. Record the amp in a separate room so you can switch between the dialogue audio and the guitar audio. You don't want the sound of the pick against the strings in the video :)

And then of course spending probably 3+ hours per minute of footage in editing, correcting and aligning things. Stuff takes forever.
tibbon

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby coldbrightsunlight » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:03 pm

All the effort shows, like all the others it's a great demo :thumb: Using different mics for voice and the guitar is important, it's pretty annoying watching video reviews where the levels are all over the place.
füzz lover. Friend. Quilter evangelist.

I make music sometimes:

https://nitrx.bandcamp.com/

https://mediocrisy.bandcamp.com/

https://fleshcouch.bandcamp.com
coldbrightsunlight

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Wes Mantooth » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Well the editing certainly pays off, looks great. I put up the video on my blog :thumb:

The problem I have is trying to eliminate the sound of my pick hitting the strings going through my amp (not room noise, the sound actually picked up by the pickups). In my recordings it's always jarring and hard to ignore.

You can hear it in this clip. I don't know how to describe the sound, it's just like a click when ever I strum.
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby tibbon » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Hmm, that recording sounded mostly ok to me (I'm on my laptop atm however, so not the best thing to judge on). Really just seems to be the attack of the notes interacting between your pickups, fuzz and amp. Nothing to worry about too much imho. Are those active pickups? Also, different pick angles and depending where you actually pick in relation to the bridge/pickups can effect that type of attack a lot, as can the thickness/material of the pick.

While I do watch them, and still appreciate them, iPhone/shakey cam videos really get to me sometimes. Not because of the iPhone, but because of the audio and the shaking. The iPhone/iPad is actually not bad to record video on at all with good lighting. I used the iPad some in the Diamond pedals video I made. You've just really gotta cut over to amp-only audio when you go to play the guitar :)

So many hours spent in FCP automating audio.
tibbon

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Wes Mantooth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:50 am

Maybe it's just the high output, it's a Dimarzio X2N. I'll try some more pick experimentation, thanks :thumb:
Wes Mantooth

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gunner Recall » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:28 am

Nicely done, you're demos always show the hard work that goes into them.

I wish we could do a basic audio tourbox here, I want some of John's pedals but I want just about all of them and can't decide where to start :wha?:
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Return to General Gear