Booster/EQ or Pickups?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Booster/EQ or Pickups?

Postby dub » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 am

dmcmahon wrote:What would people suggest for the reverse problem - I usually play a single-coil Jaguar but I also have a Blacktop Jag w/ humbuckers that I rarely pick up because the output is too much for my setup. I'm thinking new lower-output pickups but any other ideas?

Passive volume pad to cut the signal? Some boost pedal knobs also start off below unity volume and can be used for this purpose.

That's really only if you want to preserve the sound of your current pickups though, could be worth replacing the blacktop ones.
MATAMPS & TRASHED GUITARS
trades: Eric!, johndammit, Holy Schnikes, TheDandy, chatmatt, skullservant, intothegroove, Boxbie, bob the r0bot, sergiomunoz74, Laowiz, DannDubbleEwe, coldbrightsunlight
dub

committed
committed

Postby theavondon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:42 pm

dub wrote:
dmcmahon wrote:What would people suggest for the reverse problem - I usually play a single-coil Jaguar but I also have a Blacktop Jag w/ humbuckers that I rarely pick up because the output is too much for my setup. I'm thinking new lower-output pickups but any other ideas?

Passive volume pad to cut the signal? Some boost pedal knobs also start off below unity volume and can be used for this purpose.

That's really only if you want to preserve the sound of your current pickups though, could be worth replacing the blacktop ones.

Yeah, I hear the blacktop humbuckers aren't too good. Maybe get like a Duncan '59? I dunno.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:23 pm

have you tried lowering the pickups, and/or screwing the polepieces farther into the PUs? lowering the PUs will cut the output slightly in general; lowering the polepieces should make things less aggressively bright and snappy. strings of a lighter gauge, or nickel-plated rather than chromed strings, can also help tame an overly aggressive level. or you could use an always-on clean boost set to be as transparent as possible and then cut the level when you're using the Blacktop.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby oldangelmidnight » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Yeah, lowering the pickups just makes it sound shittier. I actually want it brighter, just not as high output. I'd guess a passive volume pedal would do about the same as lowering the guitar's volume, right - that's not what I like, either.
I might try resetting up my chain with a boost for the single-coil jag but I'm probably just going to get some GFS pickups for the Blacktop.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:42 pm

dmcmahon wrote:Yeah, lowering the pickups just makes it sound shittier. I actually want it brighter, just not as high output. I'd guess a passive volume pedal would do about the same as lowering the guitar's volume, right - that's not what I like, either.
I might try resetting up my chain with a boost for the single-coil jag but I'm probably just going to get some GFS pickups for the Blacktop.

GFS does in fact totally rule.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:38 pm

sounds like a plan.
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby oldangelmidnight » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:40 am

Wow, two people's opposite problems discussed and resolved and one thread. This is a beautiful world.
oldangelmidnight

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:10 pm

YAY ILF!
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to General Gear