Who has bought gear because of someone famous?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Who has bought gear because of someone famous?

Postby kosta » Fri May 20, 2011 4:36 pm

My first guitar was a Silvertone Amp-In-Case which I bought because of Dexter Romweber from Flat Duo Jets. Dude just ROCKS those things! And from there I totally went down the Silvertone / Dano / Harmony / Kay rabbithole with helping hands along the way by groups like the White Stripes, et. al. Love all of those trashy garage friendly 60's guitars!
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mr. Eff » Fri May 20, 2011 4:50 pm

I bought my Harmony H78 after seeing the guy below play one in concert:

That same guy is the reason I started investigating Earthquaker Devices.
"What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero?" -- Hobbes
Mr. Eff

interested
interested

Postby Gearmond » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 pm

phantasmagorovich wrote:I want a HM-2 because of SLINT, Muthafuckers! Who cares for My Bloody Valentine! SLIIIIINT!!!

SLINT!

I mean it!

SLINT

im just gonna say it now;

Tweez > Spiderland
,':{I> ... your move, Trebek.

http://gearmond.bandcamp.com/

my music for you to put in your earholes :joy:
Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby kosta » Fri May 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Goddamn that is a beautiful Harmony.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fuzzy Picklez » Sun May 22, 2011 2:11 am

J-Fuzz wrote:I can be up front and honest and say I bought both of my Jazzmasters because four of my favorite bands used them; My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr., Sonic Youth, and Television. As far as pedals, I only got into them around 2008 when I saw My Bloody Valentine in Chicago. I was embarrassingly dumb when it came to things like that. Before then I just never thought to even look at what people were using, but when I saw ALL of those pedals I became extremely curious as to what the all the fuss was about. Prior to my first major exposure to the world of boutique pedals I think I only owned a Rat, Big Buff, Whammy, TS-808, and a Boss TR-2, CS-3, and DD-6. After the show that night, I was talking to some random person about the insane amount of gear that was used, and he directed me to the Devi Ever forum. That eventually led me to ILF, and the rest is history. Now I have a gear thirst that can't seem to be quenched. :)

I'm actually the opposite.
I always loved Jazzmasters, tons of fuzz and stuff, and people thought I was an idiot for it because they didn't like them.
I later found out about Dinosaur Jr. and a couple other bands like that.
:idk:
hbombgraphics wrote:paypal gift awakens a beast from underneath the earth that eats puppies
Fuzzy Picklez

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Trifarce » Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm

Bought a Bass Big Muff (shit), and a morley wah ( :!!!: ) because Cliff Burton used them back when I had just started playing. I put a black pickguard on my black bass with maple neck because I <3 Pink Floyd
Christopher wrote:Moogerfoogers give me wood
...which drastically improves my tone and sustain.

mutmoo wrote:I'm all mids.

All mids....all mids.
all monds...
almonds.

I'm almonds.
Trifarce

committed
committed

Postby aen » Sun May 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Ok, I got it. When i first started playing, I wanted a Les Paul because I saw NIN playing them. THESE ONES to be exact

I didnt though, I got a shitbox SG.
I also really wanted a Line 6 DL-4 because of the shit i heard Brad Cook doing with it in Emotional Joystick, when they used to play coffee shops with us. I dont know if Emotional Joystick is still around, but Tom Winceck from that group was in Collections Of Colonies Of Bees for years, Volcano Choir, and now All the Tiny Creatures.
Brad went on to form Megafaun, after years of playing with Justin vernon (Bon Iver)

So, er, pretty cool role model then?
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Sun May 22, 2011 4:59 pm

More.... :duck:
http://what-ever-blank-ever.blogspot.co ... t-one.html :duck:

My first fuzz was a big muff cuz of cliff..
Also my first real distortion pedal was a DOD FX86 because they said Shane Embury used one.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby grindonomicon » Sun May 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Mudfuzz wrote:Also my first real distortion pedal was a DOD FX86 because they said Shane Embury used one.

The OG Death Metal was-is a wonderful chainsaw of mayhem. The ones they make now just don't sound the same.

I thought the 'one Shane Embury used' was the 'Bass Grunge' tho? I think I still have the little book that has the 'Napalm Bass' setting in it...

I also bought a Rat pedal cuz Kurt from TAD used one on bass. It was more the amp + him than the Rat pedal tho. My GK never sounded like TAD with a Rat pedal...
grindonomicon

experienced
experienced

Postby WeavingSpider » Sun May 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I'm interested about a PRS SE signature model..singlecut, birds inlay and tremolo..'cause I really miss a tremolo guitar in my rig..
It's a signature btw..and I don't listen that band that much....dunno what to do.. ..
My Gear:
Gibson LP Custom Silverburst | Schecter PT Fastback | Dean V Black Gold |
Fender Stratocaster MIM | Gibson SG Pete Townshend |
ENGL Powerball + Mesa 2x12" Recto | Blackstar HT-5 Head + HT-5 Cabinet |
Digitech Whammy | ZW45 Wah | Red Witch Moon Phaser Deluxe | Tech21 DLA Delay| HBE Frost Bite |
TCE Flashback | TCE Trinity Reverb | Mad Professor Stone Gray | Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone |
Source Audio Programmable EQ | Way Huge Electronics Ring Worm | EQD The Hoof
WeavingSpider

interested
interested

Postby kbit » Mon May 23, 2011 1:25 am

aen wrote:Ok, I got it. When i first started playing, I wanted a Les Paul because I saw NIN playing them. THESE ONES to be exact

I didnt though, I got a shitbox SG.

One of those guitars was auctioned off during NIN's massive ebay sale. They're so sweet.
I wonder how many of them were broken...
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Mudfuzz » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 am

grindonomicon wrote:
Mudfuzz wrote:Also my first real distortion pedal was a DOD FX86 because they said Shane Embury used one.

The OG Death Metal was-is a wonderful chainsaw of mayhem. The ones they make now just don't sound the same.

I thought the 'one Shane Embury used' was the 'Bass Grunge' tho? I think I still have the little book that has the 'Napalm Bass' setting in it...

I also bought a Rat pedal cuz Kurt from TAD used one on bass. It was more the amp + him than the Rat pedal tho. My GK never sounded like TAD with a Rat pedal...

Death Metal I have came with Shane's settings in it's book as well Mitch's and one of the guys from Brutal Truth.
There is a dude on Talkbass that knows everything about Kurt's gear from every era even the last album they did that never got released.
Mudfuzz

HERO
HERO

Postby DarkAxel » Mon May 23, 2011 2:46 am

WeavingSpider wrote:I'm interested about a PRS SE signature model..singlecut, birds inlay and tremolo..'cause I really miss a tremolo guitar in my rig..
It's a signature btw..and I don't listen that band that much....dunno what to do.. ..

Mikael Akerfeldt Signature? It looks great :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WeavingSpider » Mon May 23, 2011 3:32 am

DarkAxel wrote:Mikael Akerfeldt Signature? It looks great :)

U 'got it....Opeth logo on it is way too big for a non-fan...
But I can still become a fan I think..lol
:lol:
My Gear:
Gibson LP Custom Silverburst | Schecter PT Fastback | Dean V Black Gold |
Fender Stratocaster MIM | Gibson SG Pete Townshend |
ENGL Powerball + Mesa 2x12" Recto | Blackstar HT-5 Head + HT-5 Cabinet |
Digitech Whammy | ZW45 Wah | Red Witch Moon Phaser Deluxe | Tech21 DLA Delay| HBE Frost Bite |
TCE Flashback | TCE Trinity Reverb | Mad Professor Stone Gray | Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone |
Source Audio Programmable EQ | Way Huge Electronics Ring Worm | EQD The Hoof
WeavingSpider

interested
interested

Postby DarkAxel » Mon May 23, 2011 3:47 am

WeavingSpider wrote:
DarkAxel wrote:Mikael Akerfeldt Signature? It looks great :)

U 'got it....Opeth logo on it is way too big for a non-fan...
But I can still become a fan I think..lol
:lol:

yeah, i see... even though i'm a fan i'm not sure how i feel about the logo. Yeah, it's a great design, it'd for example look great as a tatoo, but i think it's a bit too flashy to put on a guitar... not really tasteful

otherwise the model looks great :)
I make pedal demos as East Stomp Boutique - http://www.youtube.com/c/eaststompboutique

great deals: Jwar Kayzer Bellyheart wfs1234 bronzetalon Ech0 Scruffie MaxMaps solarolosonoio Schlatte WeHuntKings Monkeydancer Eric! Univalve Huggernaut fuzzmax amorphous Tristan Goroth dan_abnormal Obulus Jrmy BitchPudding beezlebub ianmarks darkfield Abanoise Jskadiang Disarm D'Arcy Snufkino Gerb somethingclever fidget
DarkAxel

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear