School me on wahs

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: School me on wahs

Postby CaptainWampum » Sat May 07, 2011 12:55 am

madmax1012 wrote:i think the Plutoneium Chi-wahwah is fucking SWEET. a full function wah in the size of a boss pedal? fuck yes it is.

:!!!:
CaptainWampum

experienced
experienced

Postby mathias » Sat May 07, 2011 12:40 pm

ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby tashiattack » Sat May 07, 2011 1:01 pm

Hacken wrote:Im about to buy an MXR CAE wah, i think it has great specs like a built in boost, two different inductors and true bypass. Its like 150 bucks on proguitarshop and i think its fair since a standard cry-baby is 99$

But i havent use wah that much and havent been able to compare everthing out there.

I have the MXR CAE. It's really awesome! You'll love it I'm sure of it.
tashiattack

experienced
experienced

Postby Hacken » Mon May 09, 2011 6:43 pm

A chi-wahwah would fit really nice on my pedal train mini! Next to the Fuzz War!
GAS!
Hacken

committed
committed

Postby Gearmond » Tue May 10, 2011 12:35 am

to me, wahs are like dirt.

for 99% of their use, it doesn't really matter what you get.
,':{I> ... your move, Trebek.

http://gearmond.bandcamp.com/

my music for you to put in your earholes :joy:
Gearmond

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Tue May 10, 2011 8:22 am

Talking about SICK sweep: Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Psychoscumatic Wah /Ringmod. :p Does have seveal wah flavors, which are not bad at all. And has a rather versatile and controllable ringmod tone You can add before the wah. It has a few issues, though:

The thing is built from good parts but assembled cheap = the reason why they get broken in use. The pedal is worth fixing, though, if You're into mind bending psychedelics and ringmod tones. :whoa: :!!!: :thumb:

It really doesn't work too good with batteries. Using a dc power fixes any troubles with inconsistent operating and volume drops.
:::: Metal up Yöur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ironbird13 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:46 am

that would look so silly beside my old chrome box Morley power wah :lol: :lol:
Ironbird13

committed
committed

Postby Communarchy » Tue May 10, 2011 9:31 am

Hey anyone check out the GIG FX Mega Wah. Sounds like a budget brand but I did some research and it looks like a great optical wah. Has an auto wah, an envelope filter, stereo REVERSE sweep, note controlled wah, and a volume pedal. And on their website is a case study exhibiting the quality of their buffer which they claim is "better" than true bypass as it maintains signal impedance better than having another true bypass pedal in the line.

Thinking I may trade my Mastotron for it this week.
Communarchy

committed
committed

Postby Baxandall » Tue May 10, 2011 8:18 pm

So many wahs so little time. The last bass player in the band I'm in right now asked me at practice once why I had so many wahs. He was mistakenly pointing to the Gig-FX chopper thinking it was a wah. I went home and counted them. I currently have 12 different ones I think. They all sound different.

The most intense two would be the Parachute Wah and then the Chi-Wah-Wah. The Parachute because the sweep is so ridiculous that my speakers can't even reproduce the lows that come out of it! It also has such a weird pedal reaction.

The Chi-Wah-Wah would be next because it can get super tinny chop chop sounding or really nice and mellow. It also can produce a crazy growl using the gain pot.

I haven't had the Ernie Ball wah or the MXR CAE wahs but those two are very interesting to me.
Ragged Trousers wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Shocking that one doesn't need 2000k in boutique pedals to do interesting things anymore....
I saw this picture of Hendrix, all he used was a wah.... And not even the Jim Dunlop Jimi Hedrix wah, just some old thing.....

Jimi didn't realise the horrible tone suck we had to listen to every time he used that wah.
Baxandall

committed
committed

Postby Baxandall » Tue May 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Communarchy wrote:Hey anyone check out the GIG FX Mega Wah. Sounds like a budget brand but I did some research and it looks like a great optical wah. Has an auto wah, an envelope filter, stereo REVERSE sweep, note controlled wah, and a volume pedal. And on their website is a case study exhibiting the quality of their buffer which they claim is "better" than true bypass as it maintains signal impedance better than having another true bypass pedal in the line.

Thinking I may trade my Mastotron for it this week.

I don't have the Mega wah but do have a Kilo Wah that I like a lot. Gig-FX pedals are not junk. They are good pedals imo. I have that Kilo and a Chopper.
Ragged Trousers wrote:
retinal orbita wrote:Shocking that one doesn't need 2000k in boutique pedals to do interesting things anymore....
I saw this picture of Hendrix, all he used was a wah.... And not even the Jim Dunlop Jimi Hedrix wah, just some old thing.....

Jimi didn't realise the horrible tone suck we had to listen to every time he used that wah.
Baxandall

committed
committed

Postby mathias » Wed May 11, 2011 10:24 am

Bassus Sanguinis wrote:Talking about SICK sweep: Snarling Dogs Mold Spore Psychoscumatic Wah /Ringmod. :p Does have seveal wah flavors, which are not bad at all. And has a rather versatile and controllable ringmod tone You can add before the wah. It has a few issues, though:

The thing is built from good parts but assembled cheap = the reason why they get broken in use. The pedal is worth fixing, though, if You're into mind bending psychedelics and ringmod tones. :whoa: :!!!: :thumb:

It really doesn't work too good with batteries. Using a dc power fixes any troubles with inconsistent operating and volume drops.

I've GASed for one of these ever since I was a little punk teenager and they had them in the musicians friend catalog.They had a much cheaper wah that just did the 4 wah modes; got to play one once and was very impressed. (But I've also since learned that the amp and guitar you play have a huge impact on how "good" a wah sounds.. I've bought wahs I thought would be great and they were flops with my guitar.)

mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Heavy_Soul » Wed May 11, 2011 10:30 am

Baxandall wrote:So many wahs so little time. The last bass player in the band I'm in right now asked me at practice once why I had so many wahs. He was mistakenly pointing to the Gig-FX chopper thinking it was a wah. I went home and counted them. I currently have 12 different ones I think. They all sound different.

The most intense two would be the Parachute Wah and then the Chi-Wah-Wah. The Parachute because the sweep is so ridiculous that my speakers can't even reproduce the lows that come out of it! It also has such a weird pedal reaction.

The Chi-Wah-Wah would be next because it can get super tinny chop chop sounding or really nice and mellow. It also can produce a crazy growl using the gain pot.

I haven't had the Ernie Ball wah or the MXR CAE wahs but those two are very interesting to me.

Ernie Ball Wah is super good, I've been through tons of wahs (I literally cant solo without them haha) and I settled on it... I've had the Parachute Wah, Teese, Clyde Standard, Crybaby, WH10... Jeez.
too legit to quit
GOOD PEOPLE: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=6vBf1Kb9
Heavy_Soul

experienced
experienced

Postby mathias » Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 am

Heavy_Soul wrote:Ernie Ball Wah is super good, I've been through tons of wahs (I literally cant solo without them haha) and I settled on it... I've had the Parachute Wah, Teese, Clyde Standard, Crybaby, WH10... Jeez.

I can't solo *with* a wah. I can only do Shaft :lol:

mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bassus Sanguinis » Wed May 11, 2011 10:55 am

mathias wrote:
Heavy_Soul wrote:Ernie Ball Wah is super good, I've been through tons of wahs (I literally cant solo without them haha) and I settled on it... I've had the Parachute Wah, Teese, Clyde Standard, Crybaby, WH10... Jeez.

:lol: yeah, but IF You've got BALLS to do Shaft for the whole solo part with straight face, the problem solves itself.
:::: Metal up Yöur Jazz! with FUZZIFERblack psychedelic doom ::::
Ugly Nora wrote:It's a sad day when Bassus Sanguinis becomes the voice of reason. :lol:
Bassus Sanguinis

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Baxandall » Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am

Bassus Sanguinis wrote:
mathias wrote:

:lol: yeah, but IF You've got BALLS to do Shaft for the whole solo part with straight face, the problem solves itself.

So true. :lol:
Ragged Trousers wrote:

Baxandall

committed
committed

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear