Sonic Crayon GAS!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Sonic Crayon GAS!

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 11:57 am

Anyone have any experience with these? They look amazing, interested to hear some thoughts. The Hollow Earth looks especially cool. Sonic Crayon, color me intrigued!
univalve wrote:Boner on Fire Wallet Panties!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Re: Sonic Crayon GAS!

Postby kosta » Mon May 02, 2011 12:01 pm

I have a Hollow Earth and I like it a lot! :) Highly GAS worthy. That Moth bitcrusher looks killer too! ILF user "cloudscapes" is the man behind Sonic Crayon.
Object Object : Bandcamp | Soundcloud
A lil dreamy, a lil noisy.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby hazelwould » Mon May 02, 2011 12:03 pm

Cloudscapes/tape is good people. I want his vibrato baaaad.
hazelwould

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Gunner Recall » Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 pm

<3 my moth bitcrusher

The finish looks killer in person
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:07 pm

kosta wrote:I have a Hollow Earth and I like it a lot! :) Highly GAS worthy. That Moth bitcrusher looks killer too! ILF user "cloudscapes" is the man behind Sonic Crayon.

Thanks, I didn't know that about "cloudscapes". Is the Hollow Earth similar to a Goatkeeper as far as creating custom patterns and all that?? His pedal finishes look stunning as well, that's always a nice bonus!
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kosta » Mon May 02, 2011 12:15 pm

Yeah, it's definitely similar in its ability to create the custom patterns. Here are some differences though:

Hollow Earth:
- Smoothing on waveforms. So if you do a complex rampy kinda volume modulation you can adjust the smoothness of the transitions. Pretty cool feature.
- Refining on waveforms. You can "overdub" tweaks to the waveforms that you record, sort of like a sound-on-sound mode or something.
- Trigger mode. You can have the volume modulations that you create be triggered by your input signal rather than just looping on an LFO. This is great,

Goatkeeper:
- All of the sequencing and clock division stuff.
- All of the CV implementation.

There's more I'm sure, but that's the stuff that stands out at the moment.

Now what's to know about this vibrato????? How did I miss that?
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated!

I'm interested in the vibrato too, I'll have to get to googling, figured I'd start here though.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kosta » Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 pm

No sweat man. I love using the Hollow Earth to simulate sketchy guitar / amp cabling issues with intermittent volume spikes and cuts and crackles. Also - the Hollow Earth has a cool random mode which the Goatkeeper doesn't have.
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

Double Post...sorry
Last edited by Holy Schnikes on Mon May 02, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:37 pm

kosta wrote:No sweat man. I love using the Hollow Earth to simulate sketchy guitar / amp cabling issues with intermittent volume spikes and cuts and crackles. Also - the Hollow Earth has a cool random mode which the Goatkeeper doesn't have.

Yea, I'd be interested in soundscapes such as this for sure. Those features you listed, the smoothing and especially "refining" and "triggering" sound really cool. Where do you have it in your effects chain, near the end??
Last edited by Holy Schnikes on Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Nychthemeron » Mon May 02, 2011 12:38 pm

Man, I wasn't really into the tremolo pedals, but the Hollow Earth has slowly grown to become something really GAS worthy to me. Not to say that it wasn't GAS worthy before, but damn, cloudscapes makes a mean pedal.

Also his Moth and 8-Bit Organism were pretty rad sounding pedals. I really look forward to the Crushed Glass looper/glitcher pedal being finalized down the road, but I know that won't happen for a while. That prototype looks and sounds SLICK.

However, he did make me a nifty vibrato pedal at the end of '09, and it is absolutely my favorite pedal. It does darken the sound a bit, but that is why I love it so much. The speed and rate knobs are intertwined, as the rate goes more overboard at higher speeds, so you can go from extreme warble to slight pitch bending. It also has five preprogrammed waveforms in it, including a square wave, two sine waves, a triangle wave, and the "random" wave.

I just gotta thank E again for making all these crazy pedals. He is a rad, rad dude.
Do you like listening to homemade music? Me too. Why don't you try one of mine?

Current ILF Love: OHNOHO CHK CHK BOOM, Mellowtone Melx Fuzz 2, EQD Dream Crusher, Devi Ever ID, Dr. Scientist Proto-Miniberator - new vids eventually

some mysteries are best unsolved
Nychthemeron

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Nychthemeron wrote:However, he did make me a nifty vibrato pedal at the end of '09, and it is absolutely my favorite pedal. It does darken the sound a bit, but that is why I love it so much. The speed and rate knobs are intertwined, as the rate goes more overboard at higher speeds, so you can go from extreme warble to slight pitch bending. It also has five preprogrammed waveforms in it, including a square wave, two sine waves, a triangle wave, and the "random" wave.

That sounds fascinating! Are his pedals one-offs/customs or available upon order? Guess I could just send a pm.
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Postby kosta » Mon May 02, 2011 12:45 pm

His stuff is definitely more in unicorn territory availability-wise. Catch 'em if you can!
kosta

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 pm

kosta wrote:No sweat man. I love using the Hollow Earth to simulate sketchy guitar / amp cabling issues with intermittent volume spikes and cuts and crackles. Also - the Hollow Earth has a cool random mode which the Goatkeeper doesn't have.

got the same effect yesterday when I tried putting my speaker cab on top of my amp head!
Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Holy Schnikes » Mon May 02, 2011 1:48 pm

kosta wrote:His stuff is definitely more in unicorn territory availability-wise. Catch 'em if you can!

That sucks...
Holy Schnikes

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to General Gear