Lovepedal Amp 11 = Timmy

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: Lovepedal Amp 11 = Timmy

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:01 pm

lovepedal is whipping out the legal muscle...all amp11 threads on internet forums are starting to vanish/get locked

Oh and Phil is claiming the amp11 is a kalamazoo+cot50...

So the kalamazoo is a timmy? :cool:
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby culturejam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Gunner Recall wrote:lovepedal is whipping out the legal muscle...all amp11 threads on internet forums are starting to vanish/get locked

I doubt it's legal muscle. Probably just calling in favors.

I know one forum that will keep the discussion going. :thumb: :dance:
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:32 pm

I was just poking fun at the mention of legal trouble for HC if the thread was allowed to stay open...sounded very TGP

ILF gun get sued! :excellent:
Gunner Recall

Postby Jero » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:30 pm

culturejam wrote:
Jero wrote:Doesn't the cot have several additional components tacked on (besides the gain)? I suppose extra resisters for the bias, but the electrolytics...? Maybe the layout I have for them is wrong.

You'd have to point me to the schematics or layouts. But adding a filter cap and a polarity protection diodes don't affect the tone. The biasing is done with three resistors, which is the same as the Electra. I think the only difference really is that some versions of the COT add an emitter bypass cap to boost the gain in lower frequencies.

You're absolutely right. The layout I have is for the cot-50 specifically, and it has what looks like the emitter bypass cap as well as a res+cap from +9v to ground. Haha, once that's gone there is indeed an electra. "I see it, I see it all now."
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby theavondon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm

Jero wrote:
culturejam wrote:
Jero wrote:Doesn't the cot have several additional components tacked on (besides the gain)? I suppose extra resisters for the bias, but the electrolytics...? Maybe the layout I have for them is wrong.

You'd have to point me to the schematics or layouts. But adding a filter cap and a polarity protection diodes don't affect the tone. The biasing is done with three resistors, which is the same as the Electra. I think the only difference really is that some versions of the COT add an emitter bypass cap to boost the gain in lower frequencies.

You're absolutely right. The layout I have is for the cot-50 specifically, and it has what looks like the emitter bypass cap as well as a res+cap from +9v to ground. Haha, once that's gone there is indeed an electra. "I see it, I see it all now."

What we gotta do is, we gotta snag that tall dude and STOMP THE SHIT OUT OF HIM and then we'll find out whats going on.
theavondon

Supporter
Supporter

Postby dubkitty » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

the unanswered question here: how original is the Timmy? or is that impolite?
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

FIFTY YEARS OF SCARING THE CHILDREN 1970-2020--and i'm not done yet

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

DUBZ LOOPZ 2: Electronic Renaissance coming soon to a Soundcloud near you!
dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby tuffteef » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm

theavondon wrote:
Jero wrote:
culturejam wrote:

What we gotta do is, we gotta snag that tall dude and STOMP THE SHIT OUT OF HIM and then we'll find out whats going on.

its always the tall ones
mainly cause they can peak over public bathroom doors without even trying
tuffteef

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby nightraven » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm

thing is i don't understand why that lovepedal dude did this? surely he knew he was gonna get called out eventually (and i'm surprised it took this long considering the hype about this latest product). what a dilhole. his pedals have always been shit though. unoriginal designs, lousy construction, goop, re-hashed shit. he's great at fooling the TGP folk though.
also thanks in advance tom for not deleting this thread :thumb: ;)
nightraven

committed
committed

Postby culturejam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:34 pm

dubkitty wrote:the unanswered question here: how original is the Timmy? or is that impolite?

Depends on who you ask.

The EQ/filtering was, when it was introduced, pretty new to the dirtbox world (especially boutique stuff). And that's what makes it sound "transparent".

Personally, I think the Timmy qualifies as original. There are only so many ways to make dirt with 9v circuits, but it's got enough going on other than that to make it interesting. Same thing for the Zen Drive.
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gunner Recall » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Gunner Recall

Postby dubkitty » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:51 pm

"depends on who you ask" sounds like "not original" to me.

DUBZ ÄLTER LOOPZ (2012-14): https://soundcloud.com/dubkitteh-1/sets/early-works-2012-14

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: somewhere between Never-Never Land and Wonderland, in a place called Never Wonder Land

Postby Jero » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 pm

theavondon wrote:
Jero wrote:"I see it, I see it all now."

Winner winner chicken dinner
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby culturejam » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:02 pm

dubkitty wrote:"depends on who you ask" sounds like "not original" to me.

Well, there are a few guys at FSB that *literally* classify all circuits with an op amp and a tone control as being so similar as to be the same thing. So to them, Tubescreamer, Timmy, Zen Drive, Shredmaster, Bluesbreaker, King of Tone, and Rat are all pretty much the same thing.

Those guys say the Timmy is unoriginal.

So yes, it depends on who you ask. I actually mean what I say (the Timmy is original in my opinion). :thumb:

And for you guys who want to stomp Sean at Lovepedal for cloning...I'd hate to see what you must want to do to Analogman. :lol:
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Fuzzy Picklez » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:27 pm

ALL HAIL THE LOVEPENIS
hbombgraphics wrote:paypal gift awakens a beast from underneath the earth that eats puppies
Fuzzy Picklez

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby dubkitty » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm

sorry, i was being a bit snarky.

culturejam wrote:Well, there are a few guys at FSB that *literally* classify all circuits with an op amp and a tone control as being so similar as to be the same thing. So to them, Tubescreamer, Timmy, Zen Drive, Shredmaster, Bluesbreaker, King of Tone, and Rat are all pretty much the same thing.

so my 3xfx Fatman is the same as a Tube Screamer? that calls for the ROFLMAO smilie that this forum sadly lacks.

culturejam wrote:So yes, it depends on who you ask. I actually mean what I say (the Timmy is original in my opinion). :thumb:

i'll have to take your word for that since i'm not a expert, but i'm very curious as to the origins of the op amp and tone control parts of the Timmy circuit.

culturejam wrote:And for you guys who want to stomp Sean at Lovepedal for cloning...I'd hate to see what you must want to do to Analogman. :lol:

this is the heart of the whole weirdness i found in the original Timmy vs. Danelectro controversy, which i witnessed on the Gretsch Pages where the Tim/Timmy has a rabid following...what determines the acceptability of copying another manufacturers' product? there doesn't seem to be any rational basis other than sentiment.

dubkitty

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear