What is in the post? GAS makes me more creative right?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Re: What is in the post? GAS makes me more creative right?

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:20 pm

The oscillator bleeds like crazy when it's bypassed. Bummer. Send David an email. Hope it's an easy fix I can DIY.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:The oscillator bleeds like crazy when it's bypassed. Bummer. Send David an email. Hope it's an easy fix I can DIY.

I have to snub the oscillator of the Monobius when the effect is in bypass due to bleed (grounding the input and output of the PCB did not suffice). There's always a fix, I can't weigh in on simplicity though.
D.o.S. wrote:This thing is like the Blue Box on the amount of acid that lands you in the ER pretending to play it straight while you try and ignore the fact that the walls are dripping oil.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:09 pm

He just asked me to ship it back, so I assume it's more complex. Bummer, but I'll ship it after ILFEU. Just put it in an fx loop or something so I can still play it for the mausoleum gig.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:48 pm

:joy: It looks incredible! Curious to hear your first impressions UC. This monster is 66 mm high though, that's taller than a Boss pedal... gotta find the right spot on the pedalboard.
"It's wrong but it works."
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:01 pm

It's a few mm shorter than a Meris pedal, so it's not too bad, but it does have a weird shape. It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be, tbh.

Edit: see?
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Oh yeah a lot smaller indeed. (Like the Ehx Grand Canyon looked bigger). I would have loved a double freeze instead of tone generators, but this pedal has my interest for sho.
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Hmmmm. Just get a Rainger Echo X or whatever it's called. This is "just" that with two oscillators and functionality linked to those oscillators. If you remove them you're left with his small delay pedal.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:43 am

UglyCasanova wrote:Hmmmm. Just get a Rainger Echo X or whatever it's called. This is "just" that with two oscillators and functionality linked to those oscillators. If you remove them you're left with his small delay pedal.

Do you mean you're disappointed?
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:10 am

No, no. I mean if you want the Drone Rainger to be the Freeze Rainger you're probably better off just having a delay pedal and a freeze pedal. I'm saying your interest in the pedal might not be warranted. :lol:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Christophe » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:16 am

Ah ah, ok! I was thinking about the possibility to freeze 2 different sounds/chords, then change the pitch of the 2 recorded sounds, or mix them etc...( just like the drones on the Rainger). I dont think this can be done yet... maybe with a complex A/B two amp setup + 2 freeze + 2 pitch shifters, but that's another story...
Christophe

committed
committed

Postby Glitches&switches » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:09 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:The oscillator bleeds like crazy when it's bypassed. Bummer. Send David an email. Hope it's an easy fix I can DIY.

Just got mine today and have yet to notice an issue with this but what I can't seem to figure out is how to get the white noise bursts, there seems to be nothing I am seeing in the manual that mentions it and no matter what settings I seem to use all I get from the interfere switch is pitch rise or fall.
Glitches&switches

involved
involved

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:38 pm

Pretty sure he removed that feature because it was too shrill and loud.

Edit: yes, kind of

D-Rainger wrote:The white noise burst has been replaced with a different momentary effect; its volume was hard to control - being decided by the delay level knob - and was very often too loud compared to everything else going on.

So instead there's a 'pitch up' effect, which raises the pitch of one of the drones to a much higher note, and with a deeply cool glide back down when the switch is released. It makes more notes available - foot-controlled - and increases the playablilty of the pedal as a sound generator/instrument in itself (up to 5 notes possible - with careful switching - for any note set by the knobs).
Now 2-note harmonies - eg major and minor 'chords' - are very easy!! Also dub-like bloops!
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Glitches&switches » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:53 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Pretty sure he removed that feature because it was too shrill and loud.

Edit: yes, kind of

D-Rainger wrote:The white noise burst has been replaced with a different momentary effect; its volume was hard to control - being decided by the delay level knob - and was very often too loud compared to everything else going on.

So instead there's a 'pitch up' effect, which raises the pitch of one of the drones to a much higher note, and with a deeply cool glide back down when the switch is released. It makes more notes available - foot-controlled - and increases the playablilty of the pedal as a sound generator/instrument in itself (up to 5 notes possible - with careful switching - for any note set by the knobs).
Now 2-note harmonies - eg major and minor 'chords' - are very easy!! Also dub-like bloops!

Wish he would have said something, that feature was what mostly sold me on this. I was so excited to get this pedal, more excited than I have been about a pedal in a while and so far I am seriously underwhelmed! I don't notice the supposed chorus effect or the supposed "beats" created between the sub oscillators interacting with each other. Nothing worse than paying and waiting months to get the pedal only to find out it was changed from what was initially advertised when purchased. Btw where was that posted? I never saw it on Instagram or his website!
Glitches&switches

involved
involved

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 pm

He said it here, on ILF, in March.
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=61641#p1346038
NSFW: show
for easy reference:

good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm

It was posted in his subforum here on ILF. I get your frustration and you can probably just voice it to David and I'm sure he'll refund you or work out some other way to please you. He's super nice and has great customer service. He removed it because it was a broken feature. It's basically just a disruption of the delay chip and in person it's not a pleasant sound because it's very loud. The contrast between that sound and the smooth super low frequencies of the drones is just too big as well, even if he did fix the volume boost issue. Both Copilot, Lastgasp Art Laboratories and Rainger himself make white noise pedals that are more functional and, perhaps more importantly, better sounding, if that's your jam.
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to General Gear